Sludge removal

Old August 13th 06, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
bernsax

Default Sludge removal

After reading responses to my question about the 2.7 engine, I am curious
about removing possible existing sludge. I think I now understand the
problem with the timing chain of this engine.

The car I just bought has 27,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the
previous owner actually changed the oil on a proper schedule.

One of the articles I read says not to add any type of oil additive that
will remove sludge.

If I use a quality oil such as Castrol and change it within 3,000 miles,
will the possible sludge eventually disappear?

Would I be better off to switch to Mobile 1 synthetic?

Thanks to all that responded to my previous post.

Old August 13th 06, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Al[_2_]

I have had the same problem and have found that doing oil changes with at
high quality oil at about 2000 miles for 6 months usually took care of the
sludge and dirty oil.
I used Mobil and valvoline, but castrol should do the trick too.
Good Luck!

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 14th 06, 07:56 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Tony D.

bernsax wrote:
> After reading responses to my question about the 2.7 engine, I am curious
> about removing possible existing sludge. I think I now understand the
> problem with the timing chain of this engine.
>
> The car I just bought has 27,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the
> previous owner actually changed the oil on a proper schedule.
>
> One of the articles I read says not to add any type of oil additive that
> will remove sludge.
>
> If I use a quality oil such as Castrol and change it within 3,000 miles,
> will the possible sludge eventually disappear?
>
> Would I be better off to switch to Mobile 1 synthetic?

You obviosly DIDN't read the responses to the thread about the correct
oil (ie:high shear strength oil) required for this engine. I posted the
list of approved oils for this engine.
Only 1 or 2 of the Mobil 1 variants is proper, and you have to search
for it. Synthetics can suspend a lot more contaminants then dino. Long
runs with a high detergent product certified for this engine will clean
it up.
Old August 15th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
fireater

bernsax wrote:
> After reading responses to my question about the 2.7 engine, I am curious
> about removing possible existing sludge. I think I now understand the
> problem with the timing chain of this engine.
>
> The car I just bought has 27,000 miles on it. I have no idea if the
> previous owner actually changed the oil on a proper schedule.
>
> One of the articles I read says not to add any type of oil additive that
> will remove sludge.
>
> If I use a quality oil such as Castrol and change it within 3,000 miles,
> will the possible sludge eventually disappear?
>
> Would I be better off to switch to Mobile 1 synthetic?
>
> Thanks to all that responded to my previous post.

27,000 miles ? just start a oil change regimen. 1000 miles for the
first 3 or 4 changes, then go up to 2000 miles and stay there. My dads
2000 intrepid had 60,000 mikes on it and a timing chain guide broke. i
got lucky it happened in the driveway the next day after a trip. He
heard the grinding noise, shut off car and nothing was damaged. I
replaced the tensioner and guides (600 dollars later in parts)and its
all good now. by the way you could always just have the tensioner
replaced every 50000 miles, it is externally replacable.

Oil sludge elimination/prevention? Beachrunner Chrysler 20 June 20th 06 02:46 AM
Oil sludge in coolant - removal? BobT Technology 2 June 7th 06 01:20 PM
Sludge and CO Gordon Driving 0 March 4th 06 05:01 AM
Transmission extension housing removal? Ford Warrior Technology 0 October 16th 05 10:01 PM
Toyota Engine Oil Sludge Charlene Blake General 0 October 19th 04 04:59 AM