1990 jeep yj

Old July 6th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
chuck

Default 1990 jeep yj

I have a 1990 jeep yj with a 5 speed transmisson. After you drive it
for a period of time, when you stop, you can't get it to go into 1st
gear. No grinding, it just won't move. If you let it roll a little,
it will go into gear. Once you are moving, there is no problem
shifting gears. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?
Transmission shops around here have never heard of this problem.

Old July 6th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
nrs

My 95 YJ was like this too. I had the transmission rebuilt but before
you do that you could try changing the lubricant. I am now using
Penzoil Synchromesh from Autozone and it makes a big difference with
the shifting (even with the rebuild). I've also read on newsgroups
that Redline MT-90 is very good in these YJ transmissions.

Old July 6th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Aaron[_1_]

Chuck,
It sounds like your slave cylinder is going bad or you've got
excessive air bubbles in your line. Just like your brakes, if you've
got air bubbles in your line from your master cylinder to your slave
cylinder they're going to build up even more as the line gets warmer
and warmer as you drive. My advice is to start with a simple bleeding
of the clutch and a long test drive. If that doesn't work, you
probably have a slave or master cylinder going bad.
When it won't shift into first at a traffic light, or whatever, does
it help to try and get it in gear while you've got the engine revved
up?

Old July 6th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley[_1_]

When I had a bad slave in my YJ, I found pumping the clutch worked.

ups.com...

Old July 7th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
chuck

Old July 7th 06, 09:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike chambers

My slave went out a few weeks ago. Bought the last one at Auto Zone and
they gave me a new one at no cost.

Later Mike