tips for breeding freshwater tropicals for the first time

Old October 6th 03, 11:41 PM
Mustafa Khalid

Default tips for breeding freshwater tropicals for the first time

I've had some freshwater tropical fish for a about a year now, and I was
interested in breeding them. Which species do you think are the easiest to
breed; I heard it was the Zebra Danio. Can you give me some tips on how to
do it. Also how difficult is it to breed Neon Tetra's?

Currently what I'm thinking is to use an internal box filter (small one)
with a very restricted airflow to minimize water movement, in a 10l tank
with a two-level covering of marbles on the floor. Can you tell me some
other way to separate the eggs from the fish, so they don't eat them. I was
unable to obtain a net with big enough holes from my local pet store. Also,
are making spawning mops efficient? And from what can I make them? String,
wool or nylon?

Another question, which should I use inside my aquarium to tie things;
string, thread or none?

Thanks

Old October 7th 03, 05:03 AM
Paul

.. Which species do you think are the easiest to
breed; I heard it was the Zebra Danio. Can you give me some tips on how to
do it. Also how difficult is it to breed Neon Tetra's?

I believe Kribensis are some of the easiest fish to breed. as a bonus they
make great parents, so you don't need to seperate the parenst from the fry.
They might take a few goes to get it right, but they are probably your best
chance of success...

as for tying stuff in your aquarium, I would think that a fine fishing line
would be the best.

Old October 7th 03, 09:09 AM
KEITH JENNINGS

Neon tetras are difficult to breed in captivity , because they need VERY
soft, acidic water, about 10 ppm , pH 5.5 .

Zebra danios are much easier, as long as you can get marbles and a screen
with the right hole size. Art and craft stores sometimes have plastic
screens with various hole sizes. Or possibly you could find it at a hardware
store ( DIY store ) ? If you can't get the correct screen, 4 layers of
marbles may work.

Nylon fishing line or rubber bands work well for tying things in aquariums.

Glad to help;
Keith J.

Old October 7th 03, 04:15 PM
Sajjad Lateef

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 02:41:14 +0400, Mustafa Khalid wrote:

interested in breeding them. Which species do you think are the easiest to
breed; I heard it was the Zebra Danio. Can you give me some tips on how to
do it.

Clean water - one water change every week with water colder
than tank water will stimulate the danios into egg laying mode.

Feed plenty of live foods like blackworms, baby brine shrimp,
grindal worms, white worms. Nothing conditions fish for breeding
like live foods (are live foods available where you are?).

A 12 hour daylight cycle should be enough for Danios.

Some people use a couple of layers of marbles. Other use
a mesh between the top half and bottom half of the tank.
Whatever is easier.

Good luck. And, be prepared for a couple of hundred baby
danios and have a large tank ready for raising them.
Old October 8th 03, 05:16 PM
Robyn Rhudy

See http://www.fishpondinfo.com/breed.htm
and http://www.fishpondinfo.com/danio.htm for some tips on breeding fish
in general and danios specifically.

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -