Honda Accord 98 Check Engine Light coming repeatedly

Old December 8th 04, 04:16 PM
John Edwards

Default Honda Accord 98 Check Engine Light coming repeatedly

I have a Honda Accord 98. Recently I have got the Check Engine Light
on. I read the Haynes manual and tried to get the error code from the
PCM which turned out to be "80" (using the blinking light method in the
dashboard). I interpreted the code (from the Haynes Manual) as a leak
near the fuel Canister. I thought that the problem occured with not
tightening the fuel cap, so went ahead and tightened it real good.
After a couple of days, the light went off. Again after a couple of
more days (with me not touching the fuel cap), the light came back on
again. So now the problem is it comes and goes from time to time with
the same error code. Any ideas on what could be the issue ? Do you
think that I have a faulty fuel gas Cap ? Or am I interpreting the
error code totally wrong ?

PS: It is Winter here and the temperature are around 50 deg
farenheit...

Regards,
John Edwards
Virginia, US.

Old December 8th 04, 04:58 PM
John Ings

On 8 Dec 2004 07:16:45 -0800, "John Edwards" >
wrote:

>I have a Honda Accord 98. Recently I have got the Check Engine Light
>on. I read the Haynes manual and tried to get the error code from the
>PCM which turned out to be "80" (using the blinking light method in the
>dashboard). I interpreted the code (from the Haynes Manual) as a leak
>near the fuel Canister.

No, 80 is Exhaust Gas Recirculation, insufficient flow detected
See http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/codes.html

Old December 8th 04, 05:17 PM
John Edwards

Typo in previous post, the error code is 90.

Old December 8th 04, 08:02 PM
Mike Behnke

Try looking in the area of the charcoal filled vapor collection
canister. Could be that it's contaminated with raw (liquid) fuel, or
plugged in some manner.

Old December 8th 04, 08:13 PM

John Edwards wrote:
> I have a Honda Accord 98. Recently I have got the Check Engine Light
> on. I read the Haynes manual and tried to get the error code from the
> PCM which turned out to be "80" (using the blinking light method in

the
> dashboard). I interpreted the code (from the Haynes Manual) as a leak
> near the fuel Canister. I thought that the problem occured with not
> tightening the fuel cap, so went ahead and tightened it real good.
> After a couple of days, the light went off. Again after a couple of
> more days (with me not touching the fuel cap), the light came back on
> again. So now the problem is it comes and goes from time to time with
> the same error code. Any ideas on what could be the issue ? Do you
> think that I have a faulty fuel gas Cap ? Or am I interpreting the
> error code totally wrong ?
>
> PS: It is Winter here and the temperature are around 50 deg
> farenheit...
>
> Regards,
> John Edwards
> Virginia, US.

I had the same problem with my 98 Accord V-6. It was an intermittent
control module located near the charcoal cannister. Some kind of
solenoid, a black cube about 2" on a side. Had some hoses connected to
it. Cost me $40 for the part. Parts guy told me they go often,
because of their exposed location (under rear passenger, driver's
side). You can probably replace this yourself, but you'll have to
remove the charcoal cannister to get at it. I can get you the exact
name of this part from my Honda manual tomorrow, maybe even the part
number from the sales slip.

Old December 9th 04, 02:35 PM

Here are the exact details: The Honda manual calls this an EVAP
Control Canister Vent Shut Valve. The sales slip indicates part#
17310-SOX-A02 and describes it as W-valve. The thing mounts on the end
of the canister facing the frame rail under the read driver's side
door. It's the upper of the two similar-looking pods, hence the need
to remove the canister to get at it. It has one large hose, and one
electrical connector. It mounts to the canister with two phillips
screws.

In my case I removed it, applied 12 V from a DC wall hugger, and heard
the solenoid activating and deactivating as I made or broke contact. I
put it back on the car, cleared the code, and everything was fine for
two weeks. Then the light came back on. I bought the new valve and
installed it in March 03, and haven't had a problem since.

Old December 10th 04, 02:46 AM
John Edwards

Thanks for all the replies. Mike, thanks for the detailed description.
Just curious, did you get the same code 90 from the PCM ?
-- John Edwards

Old December 10th 04, 08:08 PM

Yes.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:08 AM
John Edwards

Update on this topic. I have replaced the Canister shut off valve as
suggested by rufovillo... I have reset the check engine light. It is
been a couple of days, the light has not yet come back. I have driven
the vehicle atleast 5~6 times for atleast a distance of 80 miles. I am
not sure what Honda manual means when it says that "the light will come
on when the sensor detects the problem in three consecutive drive
cycles" I am not sure what a drive cycle is, but atleast I have driven
the car 5 times, if that counts then the problem has been resolved.

BTW, if anyone is following this thread, to remove the canister shut
off valve, we need to remove the canister itself as specified in the
earlier posts by others. One thing to add is, there is only one bolt
that holds the canister to the frame. I had by mistake tried to remove
the frame itself which has three bolts. Once the canister is out,
replacing the vavle is easy, except that the two philips screws that
hold the valve to the canister are very tight ( I wonder why Honda does
not have a bolt instead of the screws !!! ) In my experience, when I
try to remove the screws, the threads on the screw almost always get
ripped off, I wonder why they don't have bolts instead !!

-- John