Radiator disintergating after 4 years

Old March 7th 05, 07:14 PM
jw 1111111

Default Radiator disintergating after 4 years

The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 corolla) Radiator are
disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle.

The upright tubes carrying the coolent in the radiator still seem o.k. This
radiator i bought new about four years ago, admittedly quite cheap, but
should it be doing this?

where it has gone brittle is in two large patches that have lost the black
paint the radiator is painted in. if i were to respray those areas in a
black cellulose might that halt the rot, or what else to do?

Grateful for any advice. thanks john west.

Old March 7th 05, 07:32 PM
Nik&Andy

"jw 1111111" > wrote in message
news
> The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 corolla) Radiator are
> disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle.

This probably should not happen...

> The upright tubes carrying the coolent in the radiator still seem o.k.
> This
> radiator i bought new about four years ago, admittedly quite cheap, but
> should it be doing this?

Err, No, probably made of recycled beer cans!

> where it has gone brittle is in two large patches that have lost the black
> paint the radiator is painted in. if i were to respray those areas in a
> black cellulose might that halt the rot, or what else to do?
>
> Grateful for any advice. thanks john west.

I think you have probably purchased a very poor quality pattern radiator,
bite the bullet and get a decent one, or find a corolla in the scrappy that
has had a rear end.
Just flush it through well first.

Andy

Old March 7th 05, 08:04 PM
Ted Rubberford

"jw 1111111" > wrote in message
news
> The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 corolla) Radiator are
> disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle.
>
> The upright tubes carrying the coolent in the radiator still seem o.k.
> This
> radiator i bought new about four years ago, admittedly quite cheap, but
> should it be doing this?
>
> where it has gone brittle is in two large patches that have lost the black
> paint the radiator is painted in. if i were to respray those areas in a
> black cellulose might that halt the rot, or what else to do?
>
> Grateful for any advice. thanks john west.

Stick it in the Vise boy!
===================
Teddy Rubberford
(The Man In The Latex Suit)

Old March 7th 05, 08:13 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:04:06 -0000, "Ted Rubberford"
> wrote:

>"jw 1111111" > wrote in message
>news
>> The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 corolla) Radiator are
>> disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle.
>>
>> The upright tubes carrying the coolent in the radiator still seem o.k.
>> This
>> radiator i bought new about four years ago, admittedly quite cheap, but
>> should it be doing this?
>>
>> where it has gone brittle is in two large patches that have lost the black
>> paint the radiator is painted in. if i were to respray those areas in a
>> black cellulose might that halt the rot, or what else to do?
>>
>> Grateful for any advice. thanks john west.
>>

>Stick it in the Vise boy!
>===================
>Teddy Rubberford
>(The Man In The Latex Suit)

IMO, just buy another but BETTER QUALITY radiator, drop it in, problem
solved. I mean, I've changed em out before. Slight PIA, but not
brain surgery.

Lg

Old March 7th 05, 09:04 PM

Stop buying auto parts made in thirld world countries.

Old March 7th 05, 09:58 PM
Andy Hewitt

Nik&Andy > wrote:

<Snipped Text>

> > where it has gone brittle is in two large patches that have lost the black
> > paint the radiator is painted in. if i were to respray those areas in a
> > black cellulose might that halt the rot, or what else to do?
> >
> > Grateful for any advice. thanks john west.

> I think you have probably purchased a very poor quality pattern radiator,
> bite the bullet and get a decent one, or find a corolla in the scrappy that
> has had a rear end.
> Just flush it through well first.

Cheap doesn't have to be crap though. Many of our peers are familiar
with Auto Radiator Services at Caddington. If you can get over there
it'll be time and money well spent - although he's certainly not
expensive.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old March 7th 05, 11:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, jw 1111111 wrote:

> The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 corolla) Radiator are
> disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle. The upright tubes
> carrying the coolent in the radiator still seem o.k. This radiator i
> bought new about four years ago, admittedly quite cheap, but should it
> be doing this?

This is what you get for buying Chinese (or other 3rd-world) crap instead
of OE-quality parts.
Old March 7th 05, 11:55 PM

>The very thin horizontal cooling fins in my (94 >corolla) Radiator are

>disintegrating and dropping out, and are very brittle

Do you live in an area where they use salt on the roads in the
winter? If so, that's your problem. Salt will ruin an unprotected rad
in short order.

Dan

Old March 8th 05, 02:28 AM
HLS

Where did you buy this radiator??

A repaint may slow the decomposition. But it is not a problem until is it
becomes a problem. If it cools okay, use it until it fails.

If it is in warranty, claim against it.

****teaux aluminum radiators are born to fail.