new leather interior in my 96 GT Vert

Old March 25th 05, 02:01 AM
Scotter

Default new leather interior in my 96 GT Vert

YES!
The leather shop did a great job!
I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom tan/black
leather for front and back.
And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it.

If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys do a
great job.
I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car again!

Cecils Auto Trim
4926 N. Lamar
452-6642
South of 51st street on west side of Lamar
$450
--
Scotter

Old March 25th 05, 04:50 AM
Rein

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:01:56 GMT, "Scotter" > wrote:

>YES!
>The leather shop did a great job!
>I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom tan/black
>leather for front and back.
>And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it.
>
>If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys do a
>great job.
>I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car again!

600 for the leather sounds good, but 450 to install it ? Did they have
to do any stitching ? I've seen this done on tv in the various car
programs and it didn't all seem that difficult.
How's the leather ? Probably better quality than oem.

Old March 25th 05, 05:00 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:01:56 GMT, "Scotter" > wrote:

>YES!
>The leather shop did a great job!
>I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom tan/black
>leather for front and back.
>And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it.
>
>If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys do a
>great job.
>I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car again!
>
>Cecils Auto Trim
>4926 N. Lamar
>452-6642
>South of 51st street on west side of Lamar
>$450

cecil suckered ya

hurc ast
Old March 25th 05, 05:58 AM
Scotter

From what I've heard from 3 different installers around town is this: Ford
(not sure if all Ford or just Mustangs) does their leather seats different
than other automotive mfgrs in that they glue the leather directly to the
foam and supposedly this makes it harder for aftermarket installers to put
in new leather because the new leather is typically ordered to exact size,
not large enough to just put on top of the old leather. So I guess old
leather needs to be carefully stripped from the foam and then new leather
glued down and even stitched in some places. I was quoted prices around town
anywhere from $300 to $700. And every one of them, when I told them it was a
Mustang, cringed and one guy said he wasn't sure he could even get it to
look very good.

--
Scott Swain
512-497-4841

Old March 25th 05, 01:16 PM
SVTKate

I'd love to see the pics!
How's the leather? Softer than OEM?

Kate

news | YES!

Old March 25th 05, 01:29 PM
SVTKate

I had one of my seats repaired a few years ago and hung out at the
upholstery shop while the guy did it. I had known him for years so it gave
us time to catch up.
What you said is absolutely true. The bolsters are glued. I helped him get
the cover off of the seat and then we turned it inside out.
It's a rather involved project. He pointed out to me how they are assembled
at the factory when I ask him about recovering with better leather.
He said that because of this replacing the leather is a time consuming
process that if not done properly can come out very poorly.
He then explained that he personally didn't want to go there LOL.

Kate

Old March 26th 05, 06:58 AM
Scotter

Thanks, Kate, for this info!
It's nice to have confirmation that these guys were telling the truth.
--
Scotter

ink.net...

Old March 26th 05, 10:32 AM
SVTKate

Any ol time Scotter

Kate

"Scotter" > wrote in message
| Thanks, Kate, for this info!
| It's nice to have confirmation that these guys were telling the truth.
| --
| Scotter
|
| "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| ink.net...
| >I had one of my seats repaired a few years ago and hung out at the
| > upholstery shop while the guy did it. I had known him for years so it
gave
| > us time to catch up.
| > What you said is absolutely true. The bolsters are glued. I helped him
get
| > the cover off of the seat and then we turned it inside out.
| > It's a rather involved project. He pointed out to me how they are
| > assembled
| > at the factory when I ask him about recovering with better leather.
| > He said that because of this replacing the leather is a time consuming
| > process that if not done properly can come out very poorly.
| > He then explained that he personally didn't want to go there LOL.
| >
| > Kate
| >
| > "Scotter" > wrote in message
| > | From what I've heard from 3 different installers around town is this:
| > Ford
| > | (not sure if all Ford or just Mustangs) does their leather seats
| > different
| > | than other automotive mfgrs in that they glue the leather directly to
| > the
| > | foam and supposedly this makes it harder for aftermarket installers to
| > put
| > | in new leather because the new leather is typically ordered to exact
| > size,
| > | not large enough to just put on top of the old leather. So I guess old
| > | leather needs to be carefully stripped from the foam and then new
| > leather
| > | glued down and even stitched in some places. I was quoted prices
around
| > town
| > | anywhere from $300 to $700. And every one of them, when I told them it
| > was
| > | Mustang, cringed and one guy said he wasn't sure he could even get it
| > | look very good.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Scott Swain
| > | 512-497-4841
| > | http://oceanMedia.net
| > |
| > |

Old March 26th 05, 08:13 PM
Scotter

It SEEMS softer but then that is compared to leather that was 9 years old. I
can't say I remember exactly how soft it was when I bought it new.

--
Scott Swain
512-497-4841

nk.net...

Old March 26th 05, 10:22 PM
SVTKate

So where are those pics???

"Scotter" > wrote in message
news | It SEEMS softer but then that is compared to leather that was 9 years old.
| can't say I remember exactly how soft it was when I bought it new.
|
| --
| Scott Swain
| 512-497-4841
| http://oceanMedia.net
|

| "SVTKate" > wrote in message
| nk.net...
| > I'd love to see the pics!
| > How's the leather? Softer than OEM?
| >
| > Kate
| >
| > "Scotter" > wrote in message
| > news | > | YES!
| > | The leather shop did a great job!
| > | I paid somewhere around $600 at autoleathers.com to get custom
tan/black
| > | leather for front and back.
| > | And Cecil's Auto Trim charged me $450 to install it.
| > |
| > | If you are in Austin and want someone to redo your leather, these guys
| > do
| > | great job.
| > | I'll post some pictures soon. Ah it smells and looks like a new car
| > again!
| > |
| > | Cecils Auto Trim
| > | 4926 N. Lamar
| > | 452-6642
| > | South of 51st street on west side of Lamar
| > | $450
| > | --
| > | Scotter
| > |