viewed the 2.0TS - a couple of questions please

Old July 3rd 05, 02:54 PM
NC

Catman wrote:
> NC wrote:
>

>>Well, I bought it !
>>Lovely car - great condition, and I think a bargain at £3600.....
>>However, I have since noticed that the iddling is erratic and it judders
>>a little when going steady in traffic. I have done a google groups
>>search, and this appears to be down to several things - often the idle
>>actuator. Any thoughts on how urgent this is to get done, and how much
>>it migh cost ?? Do I need to go to Alfa, or would Jamie be able to help ?
>>(also needs driver airbag resetting).

> Mine does that too. Jamies siad that
> a) It's absolutley nothing to worry about
> b) Most times it can be fied by cleaning and then resetting the ECU
> paramaters
>
> Personally I just live with it till I get up to him next......

Ah, OK. I'll prob leave it then, unless I'm passing on my way to MK for
a meeting.... that way, work pays the petrol!
Cheers Catman.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:02 PM
Catman

NC wrote:

> Catman wrote:
>> NC wrote:
>>

>>>Well, I bought it !
>>>Lovely car - great condition, and I think a bargain at £3600.....
>>>However, I have since noticed that the iddling is erratic and it judders
>>>a little when going steady in traffic. I have done a google groups
>>>search, and this appears to be down to several things - often the idle
>>>actuator. Any thoughts on how urgent this is to get done, and how much
>>>it migh cost ?? Do I need to go to Alfa, or would Jamie be able to help ?
>>>(also needs driver airbag resetting).

>> Mine does that too. Jamies siad that
>> a) It's absolutley nothing to worry about
>> b) Most times it can be fied by cleaning and then resetting the ECU
>> paramaters
>>
>> Personally I just live with it till I get up to him next......

> Ah, OK. I'll prob leave it then, unless I'm passing on my way to MK for
> a meeting.... that way, work pays the petrol!

Always good

> Cheers Catman.

A pleasure, as ever.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 3rd 05, 03:48 PM
NC

ps- you were talking about the airbag light weren't you ??

What about the idling problem ?? Judders ?
Old July 3rd 05, 04:26 PM
Catman

NC wrote:

> ps- you were talking about the airbag light weren't you ??
>
> What about the idling problem ?? Judders ?

Erm, no I was talking about the idling problem. AIUI the airbag (as long as
it is operational) can be reset anyways, using the diagnostic computer.

Jamie has the diagnostic machine [1] so I can't see any issue

[1] I know this cos I was playing with it last time I was up there
Old July 3rd 05, 07:41 PM
NC

Catman wrote:
> NC wrote:
>

>>ps- you were talking about the airbag light weren't you ??
>>
>>What about the idling problem ?? Judders ?

> Erm, no I was talking about the idling problem. AIUI the airbag (as long as
> it is operational) can be reset anyways, using the diagnostic computer.
>
> Jamie has the diagnostic machine [1] so I can't see any issue
>
> [1] I know this cos I was playing with it last time I was up there

OK - even better. Cheers.
Old July 4th 05, 01:17 PM
Halmyre

T. wrote:
> SteveH wrote:
>

>> IMHO, the Lusso spec is the better one to go for - that one's a 'Sport'
>> spec. with the bigger wheels and harder suspension. I think harder

> I thought the Veloce was that? 20mm lower suspension than usual or
> something.

Tell me about it. If there's a fag end lying in the road I'll drive
round it rather than risk scraping the underside...

--
Halmyre

Old July 8th 05, 12:23 PM
Gazza

You will find a lot about the erratic idle on other forums ... notably
AlfaOwner.com and Alfa156.net.

It normally means you to reset the system. This is done by disconnecting the
battery for an hour, and reconnect.
Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine, and leave in on position
for 90 secs. then turn off for 90 secs. You then start the car WITHOUT
touching the accelerator, and leave to idle for about 5-10 minutes.

You may need to repeat the 90 second reset a few times.

Other problems can be the throttle body is dirty, the MAF (Air Flow Meter is
on the way out) or you have leaks in the intake system.

The airbag light can only be reset with the Diagnostic software. May be a
loose connection under the front seats.

ENJOY your 156. I've owned one from new since 1998 and haven't given up
loving it even though it's caused me a few nightmares and damaged the bank
balance.

Jeremy Clarkson is right: You can't be classed as a petrol-head unless
you've owned an Alfa!!

Old July 8th 05, 03:25 PM
Catman

Gazza wrote:

> You will find a lot about the erratic idle on other forums ... notably
> AlfaOwner.com and Alfa156.net.
>
> It normally means you to reset the system. This is done by disconnecting
> the battery for an hour, and reconnect.
> Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine, and leave in on position
> for 90 secs. then turn off for 90 secs. You then start the car WITHOUT
> touching the accelerator, and leave to idle for about 5-10 minutes.
>
> You may need to repeat the 90 second reset a few times.

Cheers for that Gazza. Might well give it a crack.
Old July 8th 05, 08:33 PM
NC

Catman wrote:
> Gazza wrote:
>

>>You will find a lot about the erratic idle on other forums ... notably
>>AlfaOwner.com and Alfa156.net.
>>
>>It normally means you to reset the system. This is done by disconnecting
>>the battery for an hour, and reconnect.
>>Turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine, and leave in on position
>>for 90 secs. then turn off for 90 secs. You then start the car WITHOUT
>>touching the accelerator, and leave to idle for about 5-10 minutes.
>>
>>You may need to repeat the 90 second reset a few times.

> Cheers for that Gazza. Might well give it a crack.

yep - a second thanks from me. Will give it a go and report back.
Old July 8th 05, 10:19 PM
NC

>> Cheers for that Gazza. Might well give it a crack.
>

> yep - a second thanks from me. Will give it a go and report back.

Gazza.. just checked out the Alfa156.net tips and it doesn't mention
disconnecting the battery - just the key turn proceedure. Is the battery
bit necessary ??