'96 Explorer XLT: Best location for tube subwoofer?

Old March 5th 05, 04:26 PM
Bob

wabbitslayer > wrote:
:try placing it at an angle towards one of the back corners instead of
:directly perpendicular to the back hatch.
:
:how far away is the driver from the back hatch?

Thanks Wabbitslayer. The driver seat is probably about 7 feet or so
from the back hatch.
Old March 6th 05, 11:05 PM
wabbitslayer

that's a pretty good distance for the waves to bounce off of...you could try
moving it closer to the back, too, which I've heard helps (no personal
experience with tube subs), but then you've got this huge thing right in the
middle of your cargo area. you might try turning it sideways and firing it
towards the side of the vehicle.

Wabbitslayer
01 GT vert
01 Mountaineer

Old March 7th 05, 02:16 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:05:40 -0500, "wabbitslayer"
> wrote:

>that's a pretty good distance for the waves to bounce off of...you could try
>moving it closer to the back, too, which I've heard helps (no personal
>experience with tube subs), but then you've got this huge thing right in the
>middle of your cargo area. you might try turning it sideways and firing it
>towards the side of the vehicle.
>

>Wabbitslayer
>01 GT vert
>01 Mountaineer

This is a subwoofer we're discussing. Non-directional.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 8th 05, 12:17 AM
wabbitslayer

> This is a subwoofer we're discussing. Non-directional.

"we" are? I'll stand by what I said.

Old March 8th 05, 03:08 AM
Big Bill

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:17:18 -0500, "wabbitslayer"
> wrote:

>> This is a subwoofer we're discussing. Non-directional.

>"we" are? I'll stand by what I said.

Yes, we. It's in the thread, and it's specifically what you responded
to.
Right there in the subject, even.
Subwoofer puts out bass; bass is non-directional. That's why the
location of a subwoofer isn't critical.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 8th 05, 11:08 PM
Jonah

I can't remember where I saw it, but someone makes an 8" or 10" sub that
goes into the little netted cubby in the back. You can probably Google it.

Old March 8th 05, 11:22 PM
Jonah

OMG! A cardboard box? The difference between a good subwoofer and loud
bass "noise" is the box. There is a whole field of acoustics dedicated
to speaker box design. The critical factors include volume, porting,
damping, resonance and rigidity. At least the Pioneer tube has been
engineered to include some of these factors. If you're going to use a
cardboard box, you might as well just stick the speaker driver magnet to
the underside of the seat. Cost (excluding speaker) = $0.

Old March 13th 05, 02:33 PM
Randy Pavatte

I've read this string with much interest. I have a Bazooka 8" bass tube
(likely an older model than yours) in my car, and it gives me just
enough bass without being overpowering.
However, the car its in is a hatchback, so I have it placed against the
rear seat to one side. My installer played around with positioning
before securing it in place, and this location was the most unobtrusive
while maximizing bass effect.
He told me that, in my case, the angle of my rear hatch would help
"deflect" the bass forward towards me.

In my opinion, a bass tube such as the Bazooka, amplified or not, is
best suited for smaller spaces. I also own a 96 Explorer, and given the
distance between the driver and any reasonable location of the tube,
among other factors (road noise for example) subs of this kind will make
little impact.
I'm a 40 year old who spent over a dozen years selling stereo equipment,
including mobile audio.
My recommendation, if you can allow the space, is to get a good sealed
box for a 10" sub, and amplify it externally. A sealed sub will give you
the "tightest" response for your bass, rather than just boom.
The box size, at most, might take up a cube area about 12" behind your
rear seat.

I realize theft may be a concern. Does your Explorer have the factory
tint?
Mine has factory tint, but I wanted aftermarket tint also. The result is
an almost mirror-like effect from outside on all but the front door
windows (which are only darker because they had no factory tint).
Its all but impossible to see inside from anywhere but the front doors
and windshield, yet my tint is not darker than legally allowed.

I apologize for the length of this reply, but since I have first-hand
experience with both the vehicle and the sub I wanted to weigh in. Best
wishes on whatever you do.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old March 26th 05, 04:39 AM
robrobrob

"DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK" wrote:
>Why not use it for a headrest?
>I TOTALLY enjoy jamming those with the loud booming stereos! it works
>GREAT,
>sometimes blows up the amp or pops the speakers. All we do is key up
>TWO
>high power VHF or UHF transmitters at the same time, on the same
>frequency.
>The resulting squeal comes thru their system AT FULL VOLUME
>hahaha.Since it
>gets directly into the amp and cabling the head end volume controls
>DONT
>WORK.
>I wish i had a picture of some of the looks we get
>
>Yeah..use the boomtube for a headrest..that will work.
>

>"Bob" > wrote in message
>>
>> I just installed a Bazooka EL8A 8" amplified sub in my 1996 Ford
>> Explorer. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best

>location
>> for it? Now I have it just behind the rear seat facing back

>towards
>> the rear hatch due to wire length restrictions, but I’m

>willing to
>> extend the wires if there is a better location for it.
>>
>> Thanks.</font>

I’ve never heard of two VHF transmitters jamming boom cars. Where did
you discover this intriguing technique?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict105878.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=511544
Old March 26th 05, 04:50 AM
John Riggs

I'm a tech, and I've never heard such a thing. I have seen EMP devices
deployed that work wonders though.

news:1_511544_92c7dbbe6990c79ffcf3f7608e70dcfe@aut oforumz.com...