Speedo rebuilt...now turning slower?

Old December 15th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Speedo rebuilt...now turning slower?

Recently I took my 96 Explorer to a shop because my odometer and trip
meter stopped running. The speedo gauge still worked fine, but
ultimately the problem was found to be in the speedo, and it was
rebuilt.
A few days ago I put the first new tank of gas in since getting the work
done. As of right now my gas gauge is showing 3/4 of a tank, and my trip
meter reads about 47 miles. If I'm lucky I'll get 50 while still on 3/4,
which would work out to 200 for the tank. This is very low compared to
all the tracking I did before, which was between about 250 and 260
average.
Can anyone shed some light on why the big discrepancy?
I've done my best to monitor it from time to time, just to make sure its
turning. However, if its turning slower than normal I haven't noticed.
Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks and best wishes for the
holidays.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us
from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Old December 16th 05, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Find a highway with mile markers (all Interstates in the USA and most
state highways) go 1 mile and see if your odometer agrees. Or find one
of those radar speed limit signs that tell you "your speed" and see if
it agrees with your speedometer. Gas gauges are too inaccurate to
calculate distance driven.

Old December 16th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Well, today after a round trip for work I concluded the odometer and
tripmeter are running, just too slowly.
I drive almost exactly 15 miles one way to work, and I checked the gauge
before leaving home and upon arrival. I did this again on the drive
home. The tripmeter registered almost exactly half the correct
mileage....or about 7.5 miles.
While I have no clue what's causing the problem, I feel pretty sure its
related to an inability to vary according to speed. It appeared the rate
of turn stayed the same, whether I drove 20mph or 60.
I'm planning to return to the shop when I can work it into my schedule.
For the time being, input is still appreciated. Thank you.