Can the immobilizer on a 1999 Accord stop the engine after starting?

Old June 9th 07, 03:29 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
LakeGator

Default Can the immobilizer on a 1999 Accord stop the engine after starting?

A couple of days ago my engine just stopped while on cruise at highway
speed. The engine had been running quite happily for about an hour.

The only light on the dashboard that lighted was the green immobilizer
light which is the reason I look in that direction. I turned off the
ignition and restarted the car immediately with no problem. The
problem has only occurred once, so far.

My concern is that this may be the start of some issues with the
immobilizer. I am guessing that either the immobilizer receiver or
the control module is failing. Is there any way to find the problem
before it fails completely and leaves me on the road with an immobile
car?

Thanks.

Old June 9th 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

LakeGator wrote:
> A couple of days ago my engine just stopped while on cruise at highway
> speed. The engine had been running quite happily for about an hour.
>
> The only light on the dashboard that lighted was the green immobilizer
> light which is the reason I look in that direction. I turned off the
> ignition and restarted the car immediately with no problem. The
> problem has only occurred once, so far.
>
> My concern is that this may be the start of some issues with the
> immobilizer. I am guessing that either the immobilizer receiver or
> the control module is failing. Is there any way to find the problem
> before it fails completely and leaves me on the road with an immobile
> car?
>
> Thanks.

your car was subject to the great ignition switch recall. look into
that before you spend time on anything else.
Old June 9th 07, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

"LakeGator" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A couple of days ago my engine just stopped while on cruise at highway
> speed. The engine had been running quite happily for about an hour.
>
> The only light on the dashboard that lighted was the green immobilizer
> light which is the reason I look in that direction. I turned off the
> ignition and restarted the car immediately with no problem. The
> problem has only occurred once, so far.
>
> My concern is that this may be the start of some issues with the
> immobilizer. I am guessing that either the immobilizer receiver or
> the control module is failing. Is there any way to find the problem
> before it fails completely and leaves me on the road with an immobile
> car?
>
> Thanks.

I agree with jim beam (before I even knew your vehicle fell into the recall
status) - it sounds like an interruption of the ignition, which got the
immobilizer on its high horse.

Mike

Old June 10th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
LakeGator

On Jun 9, 11:59 am, "Michael Pardee" >
wrote:
> "LakeGator" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >A couple of days ago my engine just stopped while on cruise at highway
> > speed. The engine had been running quite happily for about an hour.

> > The only light on the dashboard that lighted was the green immobilizer
> > light which is the reason I look in that direction. I turned off the
> > ignition and restarted the car immediately with no problem. The
> > problem has only occurred once, so far.

> > My concern is that this may be the start of some issues with the
> > immobilizer. I am guessing that either the immobilizer receiver or
> > the control module is failing. Is there any way to find the problem
> > before it fails completely and leaves me on the road with an immobile
> > car?

> > Thanks.

> I agree with jim beam (before I even knew your vehicle fell into the recall
> status) - it sounds like an interruption of the ignition, which got the
> immobilizer on its high horse.
>
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

Thanks very much for the excellent and simple advice. Off to the
dealer we go on Monday. (-:

Accord Immobilizer problem Pauly Honda 4 February 8th 07 07:31 PM
engine stalls when I stop at red lights or slow down at stop signs rayyman Dodge 4 May 8th 06 01:41 PM
Immobilizer failure in Accord serb Honda 4 March 8th 06 02:28 PM
Honda Accord (98-05) theft rates? - engine immobilizer [email protected] Honda 0 September 3rd 05 06:41 AM
Resetting Engine Immobilizer [email protected] Audi 1 August 22nd 05 07:13 AM