Shaking in steering wheel when braking 05 accord

Old June 8th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Default Shaking in steering wheel when braking 05 accord

Howard Lester wrote:

> "AZ Nomad" wrote
>

>>I'd recheck the tires; a defective tire can easily add a lot of
>>vibration.

> But he did specify that the vibrations occur only while braking... ?

Which CAN be caused by a bad tire...

JT

Old June 9th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote

>> But he did specify that the vibrations occur only while braking... ?

> Which CAN be caused by a bad tire...

To clarify: wouldn't the above referenced bad tire induce vibrations all the
time, not just when braking?

Old June 9th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Howard Lester" > wrote in
:

> "Grumpy AuContraire" wrote
>
>>> But he did specify that the vibrations occur only while braking...
>>> ?

>> Which CAN be caused by a bad tire...

> To clarify: wouldn't the above referenced bad tire induce vibrations
> all the time, not just when braking?

No. Depends on the vibration frequency.

With judicious loading up of weights, you can fake a bad tire into feeling
pretty much "right" at any speed and under any loading.

In order to appreciate this, you need to know a guru who really understands
tire dynamics. I just happen to know one of those.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 9th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Jun 7, 2:59 am, "alfred" > wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan 4cyl auto, and it has about 34,400 miles
> on it. Its used on regular roads city and hwy. I had the rear brakes changed
> at about 28k miles. I have made sure that the fluid is full and also needed
> a front rotor replaced by warrenty for a defect during the first 6 months of
> ownership.
>
> Heres my question:
>
> When on the highway at about 60 mph and braking to a slow down maybe to 30
> mph the steering wheel has been shaking a little more than usual lately.
> Sometimes even when going slow like at 10-15 mph the brake pedal feels like
> its vibrating a little during normal braking with no slick surfaces. I also
> noticed that the general braking performance seems not as good. My thought
> was the master cylinder??
>
> I am bringing it to a Honda dealer in three weeks for a checkup, but wanted
> to know if anyone has any ideas about this situation so I will be able to
> ask the mechanic if they checked these areas of possible concern.
>
> Thanks,
> Al

believe it or not, basing on my experience, I bought an old accord Vi
coupe , 1994 model to be specific and has done more than 200,00 kms
since I had it a year ago. One of the problem I use to have was the
same as what you are having now, the tires vibrates not only when
running but it also was vibrating when I apply the brake......I ask
people around, my friends, mechanics and car enthusiasts...different
people had different experiences and expertise so obviously they gave
different answers. If the car you are driving goes to the left or
right when you don't hold the steering wheel, you need wheel
alignment...If the tires vibrates when you car is running, you need to
re- align your tires, If when you brake you can feel the vibration
thru the steering wheel, your brake disc might need re- machining or
probably your brake pads needs replacement.... but here's what I did
since my budget is tight... after re-aligning the wheel and tires(the
vibration were still present afterall ),instead of resurfacing the
brake disc, I tried to apply brake slowly and smoothlywhen I approach
to slowdown thinking that it would later improve the ups and downs
surface of the disc, and believe or not, the vibration is gone after
sometime.... you don't believe? well I just did it the way coz I
believe that it's like re-surfacing the disc ( I used to be an
automotive machinist and resurfacing brake discs and brakedrums are
one of my job) .Try to do what I did if your budget is tight but if
you have money, then re-surface your brake disc after confirmation
that wheels and tires are aligned... of course proper torquing is
essential to wheel and tire alignment ...Try it!

Old June 9th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> "Howard Lester" > wrote in
> :
>

>>"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote

>>>Which CAN be caused by a bad tire...

>>To clarify: wouldn't the above referenced bad tire induce vibrations
>>all the time, not just when braking?
>>

> No. Depends on the vibration frequency.
>
> With judicious loading up of weights, you can fake a bad tire into feeling
> pretty much "right" at any speed and under any loading.
>
> In order to appreciate this, you need to know a guru who really understands
> tire dynamics. I just happen to know one of those.

Not long ago, I posted a scenario where a friend had brake vibration
tires. After replacing nearly the entire braking system, the problem
still persisted until he replaced the tires "cause they were worn."

Needless to say, he suffered the symptoms for a couple of years...

JT

BTW, my splel chekker wants to correct yer handle to "egger." Go figah!

Old June 12th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:46:58 -0700, Howard Lester > wrote:

>"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote

>>> But he did specify that the vibrations occur only while braking... ?

>> Which CAN be caused by a bad tire...

>To clarify: wouldn't the above referenced bad tire induce vibrations all the
>time, not just when braking?

No. It may occur only when there's force being applied, as opposed to just
rolling down the road.