Clutch Questions

Old December 11th 04, 09:56 PM
Jeff Strickland

Default Clutch Questions

I am starting to notice on decelleration a vibration in a narrow speed range
between 25 and 40 mph. I am also noticing slight movement in the gear shfter
on accelleration, but this has been this way for a very long time and I
thought until now that it was more or less normal. Bentley says I have a
worn coupling between the trans and the drive shaft, or maybe a worn center
bearing. The drive shaft lives behind some heat shields that surround the
exhaust system, and I lack the tools needed to get all of this crap out of
the way. I could probably get this stuff off, but I don't feel like I should
be laying on the floor under my car messing with rusted bolts. This is one
of those jobs that is better to farm out.

I know my throw out bearing is toast, it whines when the clutch pedal is
depressed. I have 200,000 miles on my car, and as far as I know, the clutch
is the original. I do not notice that it slips, but I probably do not press
the pedals hard enough to make it slip until just before it completely gives
up the ghost.

Since I need the drive shaft coupling parts and the throw out bearing, I was
going to go in for a new clutch at the same time on the assumption that
going after the clutch would require touching all of the other parts anyway,
and the labor would be mostly for the clutch work, and the other parts would
be billed out as parts only.

I found that Beck Arnely has a Clutch Set for $250 that includes the
pressure plate and clutch, with the pilot- and throw out bearings and a
cheesy alignment tool. I can get a center bearing for around $20. I can't
find the driveshaft coupling (flex-coupling is what it is called in the
Bentley manual) anywhere at the online parts places, how much should this
part cost me?

What will the labor run, approximately, to complete this job? I guess my
question is, what is the time standard to replace the clutch?

How do you guys feel about Beck Arnley parts, or should I use a different
manufacturer?

Old December 13th 04, 01:02 PM

You could well have worn engine/gearbox/diff mounts.
The driveshaft is very easy to get out if you have decent access (i.e a
lift or pit.)

Bottom line is to get to the throwout bearing the gearbox needs to come
out so yes all the other stuff can be done upon reassembly.
Times vary between 2 to 8 hours depending who you ask! ...& what the
car is.

Old December 13th 04, 05:05 PM
Misterbeets

The Pelican Parts clutch kit is a good deal, and is a good guide as to
what should be replaced--master and slave cyl, rear main and front
trans seal, etc. They also have flex disks. I've been quoted about $700
labor from the dealer to do the job on my 1985 318i. Pep Boys won't
touch it. Local boys want $400 but they will be learning as they go.

Mine will slip under hard uphill accelleration but is OK during normal
use, so replacement is iminent for me.

Old December 13th 04, 07:30 PM
Jeff Strickland

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> You could well have worn engine/gearbox/diff mounts.
> The driveshaft is very easy to get out if you have decent access (i.e a
> lift or pit.)
>
> Bottom line is to get to the throwout bearing the gearbox needs to come
> out so yes all the other stuff can be done upon reassembly.
> Times vary between 2 to 8 hours depending who you ask! ...& what the
> car is.

Duh! Of course it matters what the car is, my bad. It's a '94 325i. And, I
haven't a lift or pit, nor a transmission jack.

Old December 14th 04, 04:07 PM

I did mine myself on a '94 325i (cos the transmission broke) & it took
a whole weekend. Clutch kit was about 120 UKP which I guess is about
US$3000 these days ..but didn't contain the pilot bearing (mine was
fine.)

Getting the exhaust & driveshaft off was easy enough but you need to
drop the engine down somewhat to get at the tranny bolts and the
starter motor bolts & that isn't a fun job.

The damping qualities of the flywheel were past their best and I really
should have put a new flywheel on too but it's not an option at 5pm on
a sunday when I need to be in work 100 miles away in the morning...
You might want to bear this in mind.

New shaft seals might be an idea if there's any sign of oil
contamination.

Old December 15th 04, 12:45 AM
Jim Levie

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 07:07:08 -0800, adder1969 wrote:

> I did mine myself on a '94 325i (cos the transmission broke) & it took a
> whole weekend. Clutch kit was about 120 UKP which I guess is about
> US$3000 these days ..but didn't contain the pilot bearing (mine was
> fine.)
>
> Getting the exhaust & driveshaft off was easy enough but you need to drop
> the engine down somewhat to get at the tranny bolts and the starter motor
> bolts & that isn't a fun job.
>
> The damping qualities of the flywheel were past their best and I really
> should have put a new flywheel on too but it's not an option at 5pm on a
> sunday when I need to be in work 100 miles away in the morning... You
> might want to bear this in mind.
>
> New shaft seals might be an idea if there's any sign of oil contamination.

Jim's rule of car repairs say that the probability of needing an
additional part is directly proportional to the time of day such need is
discovered cubed by the availability of alternate transportation...

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.