1993 Explorer : Brakes

Old January 31st 05, 07:35 PM
Eric

Default 1993 Explorer : Brakes

Greetings,

We have a 1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, it has the V6 and is supposed
to be 4x4, but that doesn't work (nothing happens when you push the
button). We picked up the car to use around town, we have a nasty
driveway in the winter as well.

I am writing today because I need some help with the brakes. The
front rotors and calipers have been replaced, I had it done shortly
after we got the vehicle, however since the day we picked it up, the
front brakes, especially the right side are very 'grabby'. It is
so grabby, that on sand or wet leaves it will lock-up the front right.
On snow and/or ice it feels like one of the back tires lock's also,
but it's hard to say... It also seems like its chewing up that new
front right rotor....

I know my way around cars, but I am in no way savvy. My guess is that
maybe it's the master cylinder, but I'm just not sure. Any
assistance you can offer would be great..

Best regards,
-Eric

Old February 1st 05, 09:45 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Eric" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Greetings,
>
> We have a 1993 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, it has the V6 and is supposed
> to be 4x4, but that doesn't work (nothing happens when you push the
> button). We picked up the car to use around town, we have a nasty
> driveway in the winter as well.
>
> I am writing today because I need some help with the brakes. The
> front rotors and calipers have been replaced, I had it done shortly
> after we got the vehicle, however since the day we picked it up, the
> front brakes, especially the right side are very 'grabby'. It is
> so grabby, that on sand or wet leaves it will lock-up the front right.
> On snow and/or ice it feels like one of the back tires lock's also,
> but it's hard to say... It also seems like its chewing up that new
> front right rotor....

The only thing that will chew the rotor is if you have metal-to-metal
contact,
that is if the brake pad has totally worn down. Metal-to-metal contact
provides little braking power and makes a huge amount of screeching noise
so I doubt you have that problem.

My guess is when they put the new brakes in they didn't touch the rear
brakes, and you have a situation where the rear brakes are out of adjustment
and the adjusters are frozen (if they are drum brakes) or calipers are stuck
(if disk) and as a result the entire braking is being done by the front
brakes.

You need to go back to the brake shop and politely explain to the owner
that by allowing your vehicle to leave his shop with malfunctioning brakes,
that he's incurring a huge liability and it is in his own self interest to
get the
brakes working properly.

Ted

Old February 1st 05, 01:25 PM
C. E. White

You need to check the caliper slides and make sure the
caliper slides freely. Next thing to worry about is the
flexible hose. Those have been know to collaspe internally
and act lke a one way valve and thus keeping slight pressure
on the pads after the peadl is release. My advice is to
replace the hose and caliper on that side and be done with
it.

Ed

Old February 16th 05, 07:59 AM
Eric F

sounds like the right side caliper isn't releasing properly (or at all),
thus you're chewing/heating the rotor and emulsifying your brake pads.
I would replace the caliper AND guide pins and make sure they're greased
before the new ones go back on.
I'd also replace the hose as well, it's 12 years old.. time for a new one.

oups.com...