99 JGCL check light and jerking transmission

Old April 16th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 99 JGCL check light and jerking transmission

I have a 99 JGCL V8 4X4, 50k miles. Today the Check Engine light went
on and the transmission began to jerk from N to D and from 1st to 2nd
gear, something that never happened before.
I will try to go to AutoZone and have the code pulled, but any
information from good people will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Les

Old April 16th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

plusa did pass the time by typing:
> I have a 99 JGCL V8 4X4, 50k miles. Today the Check Engine light went
> on and the transmission began to jerk from N to D and from 1st to 2nd
> gear, something that never happened before.
> I will try to go to AutoZone and have the code pulled, but any
> information from good people will be appreciated.

Check the transmission fluid level for starters.

--
DougW

Old April 16th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The light ninety nine percent of the time is a loose car cap. Pull
the codes by turning the ignition key until the digital odometer
displays, repeat three times in succession and then back to "On"
(On/Off, On/Off, On/Off, On). Code:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm Video:
http://www.billhughes.com/faultCode.mpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 16th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

And the color and smell and consistency (foamy, milky) of the fluid in
addition to the level...

Old April 16th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

A transmitter wired wrong will cause that.

That also maybe could be caused by the TPS. The TPS controls some shift
points, I don't know about the neutral shift though.... The electrical
connection on it can always benefit from a clean though. Contact
cleaner is best but WD40 will do in a pinch.

The Jeep transmission also does 'NOT' have a high water vent like the
diffs and t-case so you should make sure it isn't half full of water...
It will look like purple milkshake if water is in the fluid.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 16th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I'd go with the gas cap if it weren't for the transmission also going
berserk. For that I'd almost guess a loose wire/ground somewhere as
I've not heard of TPS or CPS being that bizarre.

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Old April 18th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

In article >,
billy ray > wrote:
#And the color and smell and consistency (foamy, milky) of the fluid in
#addition to the level...

With the new ATF+4, the color is no longer an indicator.

/herb