my '66 is back!!

Old July 17th 05, 12:04 AM
Howard Rose

Default my '66 is back!!

GLJ is finally back from repair, looking as good as new

the wing is a repro from VW Heritage (UK)... but a very good one, the
fit and quality is spot on. I tried to get a NOS one, but it was
almost impossible, and far too expensive (over UK£900 for a pair)

the front quarter was carefully panel beaten back into shape, and even
from the inside of the quarter (which is still original paint) it is
hard to tell it was ever bent

orange spot is temporary until I find a clear one, but at least it is
the correct type (Wipac 470)

I have to T-Cut and polish the rest of the car now to match the
shine!!!

I am really very happy now

http://www.howard81.co.uk/upload/vz/glj_repaired_01.JPG

http://www.howard81.co.uk/upload/vz/glj_repaired_02.JPG

http://www.howard81.co.uk/upload/vz/glj_repaired_03.JPG

For those of you who missed the before...
http://www.howard81.co.uk/upload/vz/glj_crash_01.JPG

--
Howard Rose
1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe
Old July 17th 05, 01:37 AM
Remco

> GLJ is finally back from repair, looking as good as new
>
> the wing is a repro from VW Heritage (UK)... but a very good one, the
> fit and quality is spot on. I tried to get a NOS one, but it was
> almost impossible, and far too expensive (over UK=A3900 for a pair)
>
> the front quarter was carefully panel beaten back into shape, and even
> from the inside of the quarter (which is still original paint) it is
> hard to tell it was ever bent
>
> orange spot is temporary until I find a clear one, but at least it is
> the correct type (Wipac 470)
>
> I have to T-Cut and polish the rest of the car now to match the
> shine!!!
>
> I am really very happy now

You have all reason to be -- very nice!

Old July 17th 05, 10:43 AM
Kevin Holzer

Beautiful, Baby!
-Kevin, kindadrunk, back from a midnight showing of swingers at the
cheap theater
Old July 17th 05, 07:32 PM
tricky

Lookin good Howie !!

Apart from lookin good , I bet its good to be drivin it again !!!

Now what is that in the garage ???

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 10:21 AM
Joao Eliseu

The beetle look’s very good.

>Now what is that in the garage???

It's is a mini... too small to be driven on US :-)
I droved one for a couple of years (850), my wife also had one (1000) and it was
also my fathers first car in 1960 (850).

PS: 850 and 1000 are the cc of the engine

Joao
Old July 18th 05, 11:47 AM
tricky

We got a 1972 mini 850.

http://www.handmade.f9.co.uk/rides.html

I didnt recognise the bumpers in Howards photo... they are different to
most mini bumpers. (And I can only see the bumpers shining in the
darkness in my screen )

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 12:49 PM
Joao Eliseu

tricky > wrote:
>We got a 1972 mini 850.
>
>http://www.handmade.f9.co.uk/rides.html
>
>I didnt recognise the bumpers in Howards photo... they are different to
>most mini bumpers. (And I can only see the bumpers shining in the
>darkness in my screen )
>
>Rich

I do think that is a mini but I'm not 100% sure I thougt that there were not 850
in 1972 but 1000, 1250GT and 1300 Couper

Joao
Old July 18th 05, 05:23 PM
tricky

This is a 72 850. The gear stick goes through the front fire wall not
down through the floor.

My 1st car was a 72 Mini Clubman 1000 :-)

Rich

Old July 18th 05, 06:00 PM
Joao Eliseu

tricky > wrote:
>This is a 72 850. The gear stick goes through the front fire wall not
>down through the floor.

It is nice to change the gears with the stick that goes through the front fire.
We have to move it up and down. If the car is on reverse, you can not pull the passenger
seat to get out from the back seat.

Joao
Old July 20th 05, 11:15 PM
Howard Rose

On 18 Jul 2005 02:21:47 -0700, "Joao Eliseu"
> wrote:

>The beetle look’s very good.
>

>>Now what is that in the garage???

>It's is a mini... too small to be driven on US :-)

Not quite, although it is a product of BMC!

It's actually a 1962 MGA MKII, my Dad's car... he's owned it for just
over 20 years now and restored it between 1983-86. It's nice for the
4 days of sunshine we actually get over here :-)

http://www.howard81.co.uk/cars/357wph/

The Mini lives under a sheet in the garden :-P