Cheap "tuneup" things to help with emissions?

Old August 7th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cameron

Default Cheap "tuneup" things to help with emissions?

Hey all! I am so close to passing my emissions I think all I need now is a
regular tune up.

I'm looking for very cheap things I can do that I have left out of my tune
up list:
oil change
spark plugs/wires
check/set timing
fuel injector cleaner (do I need this if I ran the "Guaranteed not to pass"
crap through?)
clean MAF (brake cleaner)
clean IAC (TB cleaner)
clean Throttle Body (TB cleaner)

One person says to check the MAP sensor tube. Where can I get some info on
this. Will I have one of these even though my 88 has MAF (was from CA
originally I guess)?

Thanks,
--Cameron

Old August 7th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cameron

One of the things I've read is to check or replace the PCV valve. I see in
my Haynes manual where it says it is, but I dont really see anything in that
spot that could be it. Can anyone see it in these pictures?

In these pictures your going to see something else, and I need to know if
this is causung me a problem or not.
Here is a picture of the throttle body side of my 88 vert that has a
beautiful engine:
http://tgaraid.com/images/correct.jpg
There is a yellow arrow on the left and right side pointing to two tubes.
The one on the right goes right down into another tube and the one of the
left goes so far down behind the engine that I cannot trace it.

Here is a picture of my emissions failing engine:
http://tgaraid.com/images/broken.jpg
In this picture I have the air filter (k&n) removed along with the hose that
connects to the TB. I have also unplugged the oil filler hose. I have
drawn yellow arrows to the same left and right places where I have NO hoses
hooked up! NONE! I looked on the right and found the hose still attached
and one end was plugged with a bolt. I could no locate the other hose on
the left side.

Do these make a difference and what shoudl I do about them? I can obviously
hook the one on the right up, but can I just plug the one on the left?

Thanks!
--Cameron

Old August 8th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Cameron

I cleaned the MAF, K&N filter, throttle body, IAC, and changed the plugs
last night. Broke 2 wires so I guess I'll pick up a set of new wires today.
Still have to fill it up with oil from my oil change and adjust the timing
back to stock (10 i think). I talked to the previous owner and he said he
upped that timing way up for more power.

If everything seems to be running good when I fire it back up, I also bought
a bottle of techron fuel cleaner. I'm right on E right now, so if I dump
that junk in and fill it up, do i have to wait a WHOLE gas tank before I can
get my emissions done, or can I burn it around for an hour and be good to
go?

All of that cost me less than buying a Fuel pressure regulator, unless I
went with the $20 autozone one that is probably bunk. I only need to get
those HCs down a tiny bit.

Old August 8th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jeff H

"Cameron" > wrote in message
.. .
>I cleaned the MAF, K&N filter, throttle body, IAC, and changed the plugs
>last night. Broke 2 wires so I guess I'll pick up a set of new wires
>today. Still have to fill it up with oil from my oil change and adjust the
>timing back to stock (10 i think). I talked to the previous owner and he
>said he upped that timing way up for more power.
>
> If everything seems to be running good when I fire it back up, I also
> bought a bottle of techron fuel cleaner. I'm right on E right now, so if
> I dump that junk in and fill it up, do i have to wait a WHOLE gas tank
> before I can get my emissions done, or can I burn it around for an hour
> and be good to go?
>
> All of that cost me less than buying a Fuel pressure regulator, unless I
> went with the $20 autozone one that is probably bunk. I only need to get
> those HCs down a tiny bit.
>
>> YOu have the sensor, but on MAF cars, it's a Barometric AP sensor (BAP)
>> and
>> not connected to Manifold.
>>
>> IF I had those HC and CO readings, the first thing I would have changed
>> is
>> the FuelPressReg as it's a 'wear' item
>>
>> --
>> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>> you pay..DEAL with it!

thicker oil in case you got some blowby ?? In any case Good luck.
Getting to my fuel pressure regulator is a bitch, 5.0 1993