starter bushing issues

Old February 26th 05, 05:13 PM
Cos

Default starter bushing issues

anyone know of a method for removing the starter bushing on a late 80s
engine block without using the vw specific tool?

Old February 26th 05, 06:24 PM

Thread bolt in. It may help to have some big taps. I haven't changed
one yet though I have had some vw's with 300,000 miles. I mean I have
changed starters but skipped the bushing change. If yours is not to
beat up you might take your chances like I did.

"Cos" > wrote:

>anyone know of a method for removing the starter bushing on a late 80s
>engine block without using the vw specific tool?

Jim B.
Old February 27th 05, 12:13 AM

i always find a tap that barely starts in the bushing, thread it a few
turns, grab it with vise-grips and pray.