GPL and XP

Old July 14th 05, 12:21 AM
Richard Beckett

Default GPL and XP

Hi Guys,

I need help! I've read everything I can find, but there's no reference to my
particular problem...

I had GPL running fine with all the hardware I have under W98SE.
I clean installed XP pro SP2.
I installed the latest nvidia driver.
I clean installed GPL.
I turned on indexing for the sierra folder.
I ensured that all files were not read only.
I installed the all-in-one patch to take it to 1.2.0.2

Now, when I start GPL, I get a quick flash of the first screen, showing
1.2.0.2, then a black screen with the mouse pointer on it, which I can move
around.

After several attempts at running it as above and ctrl-alt-del-ing out, I
then get to the main menu screen, showing my GF4 Ti 4200 graphics card at
the top, but the pointer turns into an egg timer, and I can't click on
anything. The only way out is ctrl-alt-del. Oh, and the red and green bits
are static, but I can move the pointer around.

Please help, I'm getting withdrawel symptoms! ;-)

R.

Old July 14th 05, 12:41 AM
Malc

"Richard Beckett" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> I need help! I've read everything I can find, but there's no reference to

my
> particular problem...
>
> I had GPL running fine with all the hardware I have under W98SE.
> I clean installed XP pro SP2.
> I installed the latest nvidia driver.
> I clean installed GPL.
> I turned on indexing for the sierra folder.
> I ensured that all files were not read only.
> I installed the all-in-one patch to take it to 1.2.0.2
>
> Now, when I start GPL, I get a quick flash of the first screen, showing
> 1.2.0.2, then a black screen with the mouse pointer on it, which I can

move
> around.
>
> After several attempts at running it as above and ctrl-alt-del-ing out, I
> then get to the main menu screen, showing my GF4 Ti 4200 graphics card at
> the top, but the pointer turns into an egg timer, and I can't click on
> anything. The only way out is ctrl-alt-del. Oh, and the red and green bits
> are static, but I can move the pointer around.

You've already tried most of the stuff I would normally suggest, here's a
couple of others you could try:

Check in the bios that an IRQ is assigned to your graphics card (modern
boards usually have an 'assign irq to vga' option).

45.23 or 52.52 drivers work best with a 4200 & gpl, any driver /should/ work
but some are more compatible than others with gpl with default settings.

Try running gpl in software mode by changing the following line in your
app.ini:

[ Graphics ]
lastRasterizerDLL = softdll.dll

If it works in software mode the problem isn't with gpl, it's with your PC.
If it still doesn't work the problem is with your gpl install.

Malc.

Old July 14th 05, 02:27 AM

Have you tried just getting the GPL 2004 demo and adding your tracks
from the CD, then updating the track graphics (except for the improved
versions in teh demo)?

That's how I migrated my GPL install from my 98SE to XP setups.

HTH,
Kendt

Old July 14th 05, 07:59 PM
Claude Leclerc

I though we had to turn off indexing ?
It's been some time so maybe it's on...

CL

Old July 14th 05, 09:16 PM
Malc

"Claude Leclerc" <benquinAThotmail.com> wrote in message
> I though we had to turn off indexing ?
> It's been some time so maybe it's on...

You need to 'allow indexing' for the gpl folder (sierra folder is fine as
long as all sub-folders are included). You don't need to turn indexing on or
off particularly, the OP has it right.