146 suspension / steering loud scraping noise

Old August 6th 04, 12:53 PM
Catman

Default 146 suspension / steering loud scraping noise

Info wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> My sister bought, a few years ago and against my advice, a 146 1.4 TS from
> a relative of ours.
>
> The guy is a 'grease monkey'; he has been working on cars for many a
> decade but is basically too lazy and too self-centered to do things right.
> We have found evidence of this in that he completely re-wired the rear
> lights to provide electrics (the basis of many fun stories with most alfas
> anyway) for his caravan, he used an old, cut-up Fiat air filter to replace
> the one in the Alfa, and drilled holes in the bottom of the doors to
> 'inject anti-rust stuff'.
>
> Aargh indeed. Needless to say over the last years we found several things
> very wrong with the car.
> (NB our dad has been kaning about his 146 diesel for seven years on end
> and never found anything wrong with it.)
>
> The current problem, however, takes the cake. We'd really appreciate if
> anybody can give us a clue about what could be the matter :
> From the right front wheel, comes a scraping noise; quite loud,
> particularely when turning the wheel. We looked at the brakes but could
> find nothing the matter. Braking itself is still good, and last week the
> car was MOT'ed (which is quite strict over here in Belgium). Other than
> confirming there was a loud noise, the mechanics there could make us none
> the wiser.

The only thing I can think of is that something is rubbing. Plastic
weather shield, brake hose / union or something perhaps?
\

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old August 6th 04, 01:27 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, catman@cuore-
rustsportivo.co.uk says...

> The only thing I can think of is that something is rubbing. Plastic
> weather shield, brake hose / union or something perhaps?

Do alfas with struts use a replacable top bearing?

Wonder if it happens when the wheel is turning?

Could be wear damage to the top strut bearing/bush surface?
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old August 6th 04, 02:30 PM
Catman

MeatballTurbo wrote:

> In article >, catman@cuore-
> rustsportivo.co.uk says...
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is that something is rubbing. Plastic
>> weather shield, brake hose / union or something perhaps?
>>

> Do alfas with struts use a replacable top bearing?
>
> Wonder if it happens when the wheel is turning?
>
> Could be wear damage to the top strut bearing/bush surface?

No idea at all