Go with the flow = wrong!

Old January 31st 05, 02:43 AM
Michael

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2005 16:53:13 -0800, "SlothCoaster" >
> wrote:
>

>>Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!

> I prefer to put the hammer down and let Sloths like you eat my dust.
> That not only gets me there sooner, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.

He has a point.
I don't see a point why would I want to go "fast" from light to light?
To waste gas? Yes, on highways I drive relatively fast for New York
City(70s) but on the streets I usually just speed up enough to have
enough momentum to roll up to the next light just as it turns green.
Old January 31st 05, 07:25 AM
John David Galt

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> Answer this, Einie - What are we in such a hurry for any how? I just
> don't subscribe to the philosophy that to make your 8:30 job 20 miles
> away that you should leave at 8:20 and bully everyone else on the road
> just to get there at 8:33....

There's a place for your point of view, but it isn't on the road.
Old January 31st 05, 03:48 PM
DYM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:28:41 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On 28 Jan 2005 16:53:13 -0800, "SlothCoaster" >
>wrote:
>
>>Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!

>I prefer to put the hammer down and let Sloths like you eat my dust.
>That not only gets me there sooner, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.

There are big differences between the way you drive and I drive. When
you get into a collision, you are hoping that the other drivers will
get charged with it (at fault). When I drive and I get into a
collision, I can go into the safety board meeting knowing that not
only was the collison not my fault, I did *everything* I could to
avoid it. When asked if I was maintaining a safe & legal speed, I can
trurthfully answer yes. When Asked if I maintained a safe distance
from the other vehicle, I can truthfully answer yes. When asked if
there is anything I could have done differently to avoid the
collision, I must be able to truthfully answer yes.

See, you just have youself in the car and don't give a damn about any
other person. They must get out of your way, the ultimate in MFFY.

I drive like I'm carrying your kids in my vehicle.

DYM

Old January 31st 05, 05:24 PM
Jim Yanik

Michael > wrote in
:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> On 28 Jan 2005 16:53:13 -0800, "SlothCoaster" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Moral: Leave earlier and slow the %# down - you'll get there sooner!

>> I prefer to put the hammer down and let Sloths like you eat my dust.
>> That not only gets me there sooner, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.
>>

> He has a point.
> I don't see a point why would I want to go "fast" from light to light?
> To waste gas? Yes, on highways I drive relatively fast for New York
> City(70s) but on the streets I usually just speed up enough to have
> enough momentum to roll up to the next light just as it turns green.

Well,there are vehicles behind you that could also get through that
light,increasing the flow of traffic.

Dawdling brings gridlock that much closer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old February 1st 05, 02:51 AM
ChrisCoaster

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2005 12:11:16 -0800, "ChrisCoaster" >
> wrote:
>
> >> If everyone on the road were in a hurry, or at least
> >> had the sense to drive as if they were even when they're not,

traffic
> >> would move fast and there wouldn't be a problem. What creates

conflict
> >> and problems is the people whose attitude is "relax, I'm not in a

hurry
> >> and you shouldn't be either". They waste everybody's time and so

have
> >> no right to be there.

> >_____________
> >Answer this, Einie - What are we in such a hurry for any how?

> Life is short, and you only get one go-'round. The last thing I want
> is to waste time stuck behind the likes of you, as those minutes you
> steal from my life can never be replaced.

_____________________
Ayyee!! Between JDG's pride and your paranoia I'm beginning to feel
like McMurphy in Nurse Ratched's mental ward!

Is life necessarily always about "bigger", "faster"? I thought, for
lack of a better example, that Sept. 11 would have shaken America such
that this country would learn its true place in this world - no higher
and no lower, no better or worse off. I guess not, because I can see
we're back to the same old crap, including our driving habits.

In fact, I conducted an experiment: I left for my present job, 12
miles on the odometer, 10 minutes before start time. The commute is a
combination of local roads and highway. I sped between lights, almost
running a few reds, and slammed the brakes to make the reds. On the
highway, I went 70-80 mph to get to work on time, and needed to weave
between cars to get there. On the multilane boulevard leading to my
workplace, I had to weave around cars to get to it. I parked and shut
off the ignition 2 minutes after the time I am usually at my desk. My
productivity that day: ZERO! I didn't get nearly as much accomplished
as I could, I was jittery, and made many mistakes.

The next day, I left my usual half-hour early. I maintained a steady
speed a mile or two above the limit, and actually stood at only 1 or
two red lights, the rest I coasted up to and turned green. On the
highway, I set the cruise for 65 in a 55; a few drivers still went
around me, but a lot remained the same distance in front or in back.
Lane changes/weaves: 0.
I parked 10 min early, relaxed for 5 min. with Imus or Stern(yes I'm
multiple-personality!), then went upstairs to the office, sat down,
logged in and put in a very productive day's work. No jitters, all was
calm and smooth.

And don't tell me I don't know how to drive fast either - I hear enough
**** from Rumsfeld on the news I don't need to hear it from you people!
-CC

Old February 1st 05, 03:14 AM
Michael

Jim Yanik wrote:
> Michael > wrote in
> :
>

>>Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>>I prefer to put the hammer down and let Sloths like you eat my dust.
>>>That not only gets me there sooner, but it's a hell of a lot more fun.
>>>

>>He has a point.
>>I don't see a point why would I want to go "fast" from light to light?
>>To waste gas? Yes, on highways I drive relatively fast for New York
>>City(70s) but on the streets I usually just speed up enough to have
>>enough momentum to roll up to the next light just as it turns green.

> Well,there are vehicles behind you that could also get through that
> light,increasing the flow of traffic.
>
> Dawdling brings gridlock that much closer.

Now, now... I only do that when I approach a red light. If the light is
green, I floor the thing and try to get away from most of the traffic
(must be my EVOC training... whole "safety envelope" thing).
Old February 1st 05, 03:19 AM
Arif Khokar

ChrisCoaster wrote:

> The commute is a
> combination of local roads and highway. I sped between lights, almost
> running a few reds, and slammed the brakes to make the reds. On the
> highway, I went 70-80 mph to get to work on time, and needed to weave
> between cars to get there. On the multilane boulevard leading to my
> workplace, I had to weave around cars to get to it.

> And don't tell me I don't know how to drive fast either

From what you describe above, you obviously don't.