Ford and GM to Scale Back Production; Toyota to Become #1 Automaker by 2007

Old March 3rd 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Ford and GM to Scale Back Production; Toyota to Become #1 Automaker by 2007

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> Looks like the inevitable is finally happening. According to the KTLA
> Morning News, falling sales are forcing GM and Ford to scale back
> production. Toyota is expected to emerge as the world's #1 automaker
> before the end of the year.

I thought they were #1 since sometime in the mid-90's, weren't they? If you
ignore the Ford F150, they DEFINITELY were. The Camry has been the #1
selling sedan for so long I can't even remember exactly when they first beat
the Taurus. GM hasn't had any best-selling models (that I can remember)
since the 70's. Ironically, many of GM's better-selling vehicles (the ones
that COULD have been best-sellers) were re-badged Toyotas anyway. Even
right now, one of GM's best selling compacts ('Vibe') is the TOYOTA COROLLA
'MATRIX' version. -Dave