putting on new Robbins top

Old July 28th 05, 03:54 AM
Lisa

Default putting on new Robbins top

My husband and I are putting on a new Robbins top, and are stumped. The
cable for our old top was NOT THERE on either side when we took it apart
(previous owner), and we're putting on new cables. So, before we commit and
rivet them in place, should they be top up, with curved metal underneath? Or
should they be facing up with the curved metal facing the sky?

Old July 28th 05, 01:36 PM
Leon van Dommelen

"Lisa" > wrote:

>My husband and I are putting on a new Robbins top, and are stumped. The
>cable for our old top was NOT THERE on either side when we took it apart
>(previous owner), and we're putting on new cables. So, before we commit and
>rivet them in place, should they be top up, with curved metal underneath? Or
>should they be facing up with the curved metal facing the sky?

I assume you mean the springs? The link below has some pictures of them.

http://www.bigbendmiataclub.org/bigb...index.htm#pics

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old July 28th 05, 02:38 PM
Lisa

Well, the springs are pretty easy to figure out... what we're having
problems with is the other end of the cable... the end that rivets. it's a
square of metal with the cable coming out of one side, not one end. Should
the cable be coming out of the side towards the middle of the car? Or
towards the nearest window?

Old July 29th 05, 01:33 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Lisa" > wrote:

>Well, the springs are pretty easy to figure out... what we're having
>problems with is the other end of the cable... the end that rivets. it's a
>square of metal with the cable coming out of one side, not one end. Should
>the cable be coming out of the side towards the middle of the car? Or
>towards the nearest window?

I am confused. Isn't that what
http://www.bigbendmiataclub.org/bigb...2/aut_7965.htm
shows?

Leon

.. .

Old July 30th 05, 12:02 AM
Ken Lyons

Toward the window. Placing it the other way puts the cable too high up on
the top and doesn't pull the edge of the top down over the window gaskets.

Don't ask me how I know, or what size pop-rivets to buy at Lowes late at
night to replace the two used ones provided with the top.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway
. ..

Old July 30th 05, 04:40 AM
Lisa