Engine Rebuild

Old July 18th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

Default Engine Rebuild

Hello all - hope you are well !

Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !

Yes including splitting the case !.

It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of reading
forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !

the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new case
had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary in
there .

Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting to
my question.

I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of cam
timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were shown
how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho he
times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front of
me) what he is doing wrong.

If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
know please.

BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in the
year, I will post when I know the dates.

Old July 18th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

tricky wrote:
> Hello all - hope you are well !
>
> Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
> re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !
>
> Yes including splitting the case !.
>
> It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of reading
> forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !
>
> the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new case
> had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary in
> there .
>
> Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting to
> my question.
>
> I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of cam
> timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were shown
> how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho he
> times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front of
> me) what he is doing wrong.
>
> If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
> know please.
>
> BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in the
> year, I will post when I know the dates.

That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.

Don't know about the Tom Wilson book.
I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another
rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the
bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another
and they all agreed.
Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do
remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they
belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in
already.
If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.

Remco

Old July 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
tricky

"Remco" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> tricky wrote:
>> Hello all - hope you are well !
>>
>> Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
>> re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !
>>
>> Yes including splitting the case !.
>>
>> It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of
>> reading
>> forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !
>>
>> the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new
>> case
>> had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary
>> in
>> there .
>>
>> Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting
>> my question.
>>
>> I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of
>> cam
>> timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were
>> shown
>> how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho
>> he
>> times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front
>> of
>> me) what he is doing wrong.
>>
>> If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
>> know please.
>>
>> BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in
>> the
>> year, I will post when I know the dates.

> That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.
>
> Don't know about the Tom Wilson book.
> I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another
> rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the
> bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another
> and they all agreed.
> Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do
> remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they
> belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in
> already.
> If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.
>
> Remco

Hi Remco

I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway

I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be
obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just
had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people
would follow it and get it wrong !

Rich

Old July 18th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

tricky wrote:
> "Remco" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > tricky wrote:
> >> Hello all - hope you are well !
> >>
> >> Last week I went to an engine building demo. We stripped down and
> >> re-assembled an engine and had it running all in a day !
> >>
> >> Yes including splitting the case !.
> >>
> >> It was an eye opener for me - I had got the idea over the years of
> >> reading
> >> forums and groups like this, that splitting the case was a big deal !
> >>
> >> the new crank and rods were all assembled ready to drop in, and the new
> >> case
> >> had been clearanced, but it was nice to see that there was nothing scary
> >> in
> >> there .
> >>
> >> Anyhooo - It has inspired me to strip down one of mine - soooo getting
> >> my question.
> >>
> >> I have the tom wilson book and I have read on here that the section of
> >> cam
> >> timing is wrong. What exactly is wrong with that section ? we were
> >> shown
> >> how to set the timing in the demo, but looking at the wilson book, altho
> >> he
> >> times it differently, its not obvious (without a stripped engine in front
> >> of
> >> me) what he is doing wrong.
> >>
> >> If anyone has the book, and knows which bit he does wrong, can you let me
> >> know please.
> >>
> >> BTW The demo I went to should be on the discovery channel (UK) later in
> >> the
> >> year, I will post when I know the dates.

> > That is cool -- I hope we get to see that program in the US as well.
> >
> > Don't know about the Tom Wilson book.
> > I used the bugme video in conjunction with my Bentley and a another
> > rebuilding book to rebuild my 75's engine (it needed a new case as the
> > bearing seats were beat). Checked the facts from one source to another
> > and they all agreed.
> > Are you talking about the timing between cam and crank shafts? I do
> > remember lining up the marks and then slipping both shafts where they
> > belong. Don't think you can line the gear marks up with the shafts in
> > already.
> > If you want, I can replay my DVD tonight to make sure.
> >
> > Remco
> >

> Hi Remco
>
> I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway
>
> I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be
> obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just
> had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people
> would follow it and get it wrong !
>
> Rich

I just followed the bugme method (after checking with the Bentley) and
it worked like a chimp.

Old July 18th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randall Post

>>Hi Remco
>>
>>I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway
>>
>>I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be
>>obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just
>>had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people
>>would follow it and get it wrong !
>>
>>Rich

> I just followed the bugme method (after checking with the Bentley) and
> it worked like a chimp.

How long did you have to monkey around with it before it worked like
a chimp? :-)

Old July 18th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

Randall Post wrote:
> >>Hi Remco
> >>
> >>I have the bugme DVD too (full set - they are good!) - Thanks anyway
> >>
> >>I am sure I know how to time it (cam to crank), and it will probably be
> >>obvious when I get the engine apart where tom wilson got it wrong. I just
> >>had a flick throught the book and he looked convincing ! Can see why people
> >>would follow it and get it wrong !
> >>
> >>Rich

> > I just followed the bugme method (after checking with the Bentley) and
> > it worked like a chimp.
> >

> How long did you have to monkey around with it before it worked like
> a chimp? :-)

Not long - about five shakes of a monkey tail

Old July 26th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mel P.

If I remember correctly, the alignment of the distributor pinion is
incorrect in the Wilson book. I don't have the book, but I thought I saw it
mentioned when I had distributor pinion problems

--
Mel P.

Old July 26th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Mel P. wrote:
> If I remember correctly, the alignment of the distributor pinion is
> incorrect in the Wilson book. I don't have the book, but I thought I saw it
> mentioned when I had distributor pinion problems

How would one go about repositioning the distributor pinion without
loosing the washer between it and the case. With my luck, I'd drop the
bloody thing down in the crankcase and have to tear the ******* down to
get it out.

Tony
Old July 27th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

Anthony W wrote:
> Mel P. wrote:
> > If I remember correctly, the alignment of the distributor pinion is
> > incorrect in the Wilson book. I don't have the book, but I thought I saw it
> > mentioned when I had distributor pinion problems

> How would one go about repositioning the distributor pinion without
> loosing the washer between it and the case. With my luck, I'd drop the
> bloody thing down in the crankcase and have to tear the ******* down to
> get it out.
>
> Tony

If I remember correctly, you slip them around a larger screwdriver,
drop the screwdriver in the hole, position it and then drop the washers
down, using the screw driver as a guide. You then don't want to move
the engine case around until you position the dizzy in place, clearly.
I think I got that procedure from the bugme video or one of the books I
have. When I first saw it, It scared me as well but it worked fine.
I can double check, if you'd like.

Remco

Old July 27th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Remco wrote:
> Anthony W wrote:

>> How would one go about repositioning the distributor pinion without
>> loosing the washer between it and the case. With my luck, I'd drop the
>> bloody thing down in the crankcase and have to tear the ******* down to
>> get it out.
>>
>> Tony

> If I remember correctly, you slip them around a larger screwdriver,
> drop the screwdriver in the hole, position it and then drop the washers
> down, using the screw driver as a guide. You then don't want to move
> the engine case around until you position the dizzy in place, clearly.
> I think I got that procedure from the bugme video or one of the books I
> have. When I first saw it, It scared me as well but it worked fine.
> I can double check, if you'd like.
>
> Remco

Thanx, but I'm going to wait to try it when I have the workshop space
for a worst case scenario repair. I haven't checked and I don't know if
it's very far out anyway.

Tony