Cellphone Ban Gets Drivers Going

Old July 15th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

Default Cellphone Ban Gets Drivers Going

Aw, hell, lets just ban cell phones everywhere that it annoys someone, such as:

1) In cars
2) In movie theaters
3) In restaruants
4) In railroad trains
5) In airplanes
6) In shopping malls
7) On sidewalks
8) In any kind of line
9) In bars
10) In retail stores
11) In boats (scares the fish)
12) Pretty much anywhere that isn't your house or the middle of a farm field.

There, that should do it...

Then you're living room will be the only place for the cell phone, except then
we can just use our wire phones, and quit paying $40 a month or whatever for
something that will be next to useless anyway, while people figure out
something else to get ****ed about.

This **** just never ends.

Dave Head

Old July 15th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
news
> Aw, hell, lets just ban cell phones everywhere that it annoys someone,
> such as:
>
> 1) In cars

It's been done in many places

> 2) In movie theaters

Inside the theater itself, this SHOULD BE the policy!

> 3) In restaruants

Quite a few restaurants do

> 4) In railroad trains

Never heard of it

> 5) In airplanes

They are for the duration of the flight and taxiing

> 6) In shopping malls

Never heard of it

> 7) On sidewalks

Never heard of it

> 8) In any kind of line

Post office and banks are cracking down on cell phone use in line. This
will probably make me sound like an arrogant jerk, but on the *few* times I
wait on queue in a bank or post office, I do not obey this ban. I keep my
voice *very* low and hang up when it's time to do business. I'm not about
to cut off communication, however, while I wait 15 minutes because the post
office and bank think 3 cust service people are adequate for 30 people in
line...

> 9) In bars

I'm sure some do

> 10) In retail stores

Never heard of it

> 11) In boats (scares the fish)

;-)

> 12) Pretty much anywhere that isn't your house or the middle of a farm
> field.
>
> There, that should do it...
>
> Then you're living room will be the only place for the cell phone, except
> then
> we can just use our wire phones, and quit paying $40 a month or whatever
> for
> something that will be next to useless anyway, while people figure out
> something else to get ****ed about.
>
> This **** just never ends.

It's pretty clear to me that cell phone use *does* need some regulation as
common sense just ain't cutting it. We've all had close encounters -- or
worse -- with cell phone-impaired drivers; we've all been disturbed by LOUD
TALKERS in the middle of the bookstore or church or movies.

I use my cell phone with the idea that my doing so is more a privilege in
the company of others than a right; i.e. I'll excuse myself to take a call
if I'm in a restaurant... I'll keep my voice at personal conversational
level in other public places. I use a hands-free in the car and will
continue to do so until the law allows otherwise.

brink

Old July 15th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:01:38 -0600, "brink" > wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
>news
>> Aw, hell, lets just ban cell phones everywhere that it annoys someone,
>> such as:
>>
>> 1) In cars

>It's been done in many places
>
>> 2) In movie theaters

>Inside the theater itself, this SHOULD BE the policy!
>
>> 3) In restaruants

>Quite a few restaurants do
>
>> 4) In railroad trains

>Never heard of it
>
>> 5) In airplanes

>They are for the duration of the flight and taxiing
>
>> 6) In shopping malls

>Never heard of it
>
>> 7) On sidewalks

>Never heard of it
>
>> 8) In any kind of line

>Post office and banks are cracking down on cell phone use in line. This
>will probably make me sound like an arrogant jerk, but on the *few* times I
>wait on queue in a bank or post office, I do not obey this ban. I keep my
>voice *very* low and hang up when it's time to do business. I'm not about
>to cut off communication, however, while I wait 15 minutes because the post
>office and bank think 3 cust service people are adequate for 30 people in
>line...
>
>> 9) In bars

>I'm sure some do
>
>> 10) In retail stores

>Never heard of it
>
>> 11) In boats (scares the fish)

>;-)
>
>> 12) Pretty much anywhere that isn't your house or the middle of a farm
>> field.
>>
>> There, that should do it...
>>
>> Then you're living room will be the only place for the cell phone, except
>> then
>> we can just use our wire phones, and quit paying $40 a month or whatever
>> for
>> something that will be next to useless anyway, while people figure out
>> something else to get ****ed about.
>>
>> This **** just never ends.

>It's pretty clear to me that cell phone use *does* need some regulation as
>common sense just ain't cutting it. We've all had close encounters -- or
>worse -- with cell phone-impaired drivers; we've all been disturbed by LOUD
>TALKERS in the middle of the bookstore or church or movies.
>
>I use my cell phone with the idea that my doing so is more a privilege in
>the company of others than a right; i.e. I'll excuse myself to take a call
>if I'm in a restaurant... I'll keep my voice at personal conversational
>level in other public places. I use a hands-free in the car and will
>continue to do so until the law allows otherwise.
>
>brink

Other than a movie or the libraray, people talking on cell phones don't bother
me a bit. I figure that anyone ought to be able to talk on a cell phone in any
place that they can talk to a person standing or sitting beside them. I don't
really see any difference. I think people need to lighten up and not try to
control everything as far as they can see.

Dave Head

Old July 15th 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:01:38 -0600, "brink" > wrote:

>"Dave Head" > wrote in message
>news
>> Aw, hell, lets just ban cell phones everywhere that it annoys someone,
>> such as:
>>
>> 1) In cars

>It's been done in many places

Only for the driver.

>> 2) In movie theaters

>Inside the theater itself, this SHOULD BE the policy!

Only in the auditorium. Was at one where they wanted you to turn it off. I
didn't, as I had it on buzz, and had I received a call, I'd have just walked
out into the hallway.

>> 3) In restaruants

>Quite a few restaurants do

Doesn't make any sense to me. Why should anyone care?

>> 4) In railroad trains

>Never heard of it

The Virginia Railway Express commuter trains into and out of DC have a "quiet
car" where you can't talk on cell phones.

>> 5) In airplanes

>They are for the duration of the flight and taxiing

Only for technical, safety of flight reasons.

>> 6) In shopping malls

>Never heard of it

No, but someone will think of it eventually! <G>

>> 7) On sidewalks

>Never heard of it

Nope, me either. But some places have or are trying to ban smoking on
sidewalks, which is also pretty 'round the bend in terms of personal freedom in
my opinion. Can cell phones not be next?

>> 8) In any kind of line

>Post office and banks are cracking down on cell phone use in line. This
>will probably make me sound like an arrogant jerk, but on the *few* times I
>wait on queue in a bank or post office, I do not obey this ban. I keep my
>voice *very* low and hang up when it's time to do business. I'm not about
>to cut off communication, however, while I wait 15 minutes because the post
>office and bank think 3 cust service people are adequate for 30 people in
>line...

Yep, Roger that. Its another situation that I'm just mystified about. Why
should people have to stand there silent? And if they can talk to someone
beside them, how is that different than talking to someone across town on the
cell phone?

>> 9) In bars

>I'm sure some do

Never go into any, so I'm not familiar...

>> 10) In retail stores

>Never heard of it

Me either - I think if I watch the news, I'll probably see where someplace has
done so.

Here's a legislator that was thinking of doing it:

http://www.textually.org/textually/a.../10/010362.htm

Here's a bookstore that did:

http://www.twentysomething.com/daileyca.htm

>> 11) In boats (scares the fish)

>;-)

<G>

Dave Head

Old July 15th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Jim Yanik

Scott en Aztlán > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:16:44 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>Other than a movie or the libraray, people talking on cell phones
>>don't bother me a bit. I figure that anyone ought to be able to talk
>>on a cell phone in any place that they can talk to a person standing
>>or sitting beside them. I don't really see any difference.

> I think the problem comes in because the types of conversations people
> have when they're on cell phones are quite different than the ones
> they have with a person sitting next to them. I was at the train
> station the other day, sitting on the bench next to a 20-something who
> was talking to his SO on his cell phone. She apparently was having
> some trouble hearing him, because he would literally repeat every
> sentence twice. The conversation went something like this:
>
> "So what's for dinner?"
> "What are we having for dinner?"
> "Uh huh."
> "Uh huh."
> "So did you talk to Sarah?"
> "Did you ever talk to Sarah?"
> "What did she say?"
> "What did Sarah say?"
>
> That got REALLY old after a while.
>
> And then there are the people that SHOUT when they talk on a cell
> phone. If they could talk in a normal tone and volume, maybe people
> wouldn't mind so much (or even notice).

One restaurant I frequent,some folks go into the restroom to use their
CP,because of the high noise level in the main room,and then they tie up
the stall while they yak,while others wait to USE the facilities.

Perhaps the concept of the old-time phone booth should make a comeback.
(BYO phone!)

since the "cone-of-silence" hasn't been invented yet.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old July 16th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave Head

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:26:27 -0700, Scott en Aztlán >
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:16:44 GMT, Dave Head > wrote:
>
>>Other than a movie or the libraray, people talking on cell phones don't bother
>>me a bit. I figure that anyone ought to be able to talk on a cell phone in any
>>place that they can talk to a person standing or sitting beside them. I don't
>>really see any difference.

>I think the problem comes in because the types of conversations people
>have when they're on cell phones are quite different than the ones
>they have with a person sitting next to them. I was at the train
>station the other day, sitting on the bench next to a 20-something who
>was talking to his SO on his cell phone. She apparently was having
>some trouble hearing him, because he would literally repeat every
>sentence twice. The conversation went something like this:
>
>"So what's for dinner?"
>"What are we having for dinner?"
>"Uh huh."
>"Uh huh."
>"So did you talk to Sarah?"
>"Did you ever talk to Sarah?"
>"What did she say?"
>"What did Sarah say?"
>
>That got REALLY old after a while.

I'm real good at ignoring this sort of stuff. Of course, its part of my
philosophy of giving people as much freedom to do what they want, and hoping
for the same in return, so I can do what I want. I think if more people did
that, we'd be able to get more stuff done without such a hassle.

>And then there are the people that SHOUT when they talk on a cell
>phone.

Yeah. But then again, that's just misusing the phone. Not sure how to reach
such people to give them training that they _don't_ have t raise their voices -
the microphone will hear them just fine. This used to be a problem with
customers of the 2-way radio sales and service I used to work for as a tech.
Every now and then we'd have to let people know that it's better to speak in a
normal voice.

>If they could talk in a normal tone and volume, maybe people
>wouldn't mind so much (or even notice).

Yep, and their call would be just as clear on the other end, if not moreso.

Dave Head
Old July 16th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Shawn Hirn

In article >,
Dave Head > wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:01:38 -0600, "brink" > wrote:
>

> Other than a movie or the libraray, people talking on cell phones don't
> bother me a bit. I figure that anyone ought to be able to talk on a cell phone in
> any place that they can talk to a person standing or sitting beside them. I
> don't really see any difference. I think people need to lighten up and not try to
> control everything as far as they can see.

One of my pet peeves with cell phone users if when I am second or third
in line, such as to check into a hotel or order some food at a fast food
joint and the person who is being helped is juggling between talking to
the cashier or clerk and someone on her cell phone and the clerk is
waiting for a response to a question why the person blabs on the phone.
This slows everyone else up and this kind of situation seems to happen
more and more frequently.

I don't mind of people talk on cell phones in restaurants as long as
they are not my dining companions and they do not talk excessively loud.
I really hate it when I am dining with just one other person and they
take time out of our conversation to talk on their cell phone, but I
forgive if its an emergency.
Old July 17th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Shawn Hirn" > wrote in message

> I don't mind of people talk on cell phones in restaurants as long as
> they are not my dining companions and they do not talk excessively loud.
> I really hate it when I am dining with just one other person and they
> take time out of our conversation to talk on their cell phone, but I
> forgive if its an emergency.

Next time someone rudely takes a non-emergency phone call at dinner with
you, here's what you do: grab the phone and throw it in their soup.

It works every time. ;-)

brink