autostick

Old December 15th 04, 08:02 AM
rtchad

Default autostick

does anyone know what part I would need to convert a 4speed manual to
autostick?

Old December 15th 04, 03:19 PM
Speedy Jim

rtchad wrote:
> does anyone know what part I would need to convert a 4speed manual to
> autostick?

Part....singular??

Lots and lots of parts.

Tranny (good one)
Drive plate
Pedal cluster
Shift rod AND shift lever
Control solenoid
Special oil pump
Special vacuum tank and fluid tank
3 Quarts of old-fashioned luck

For starters, buy the Bentley Official Manual for a good look.

If you gotta have autostick, I think I'd buy a whole car with it.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old December 15th 04, 04:03 PM
Anthony

rtchad wrote:
> does anyone know what part I would need to convert a 4speed manual to
> autostick?

Are you sure you don't mean that the other way around? Why in God's
name would you WANT to change a 4 speed to an auto?! That being said,
it is markedly simpler to make the change FROM auto TO 4 speed. But
suit yourself...

~Anthony

Old December 15th 04, 04:20 PM
Tim Rogers

"Anthony" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Are you sure you don't mean that the other way around? Why in God's
> name would you WANT to change a 4 speed to an auto?! That being said,
> it is markedly simpler to make the change FROM auto TO 4 speed. But
> suit yourself...

...............There are some people who simply don't like manual
transmissions for reasons that are their own business. Others have some type
of disability that makes it difficult or even impossible to work a clutch
pedal. My wife had surgery on her left ankle several years ago and is now
barely capable of pushing a pedal with that foot. If someone WANTS to avoid
using a std. tranny, I feel that it's none of our business as to why. I did
once drive a friend's auto-stick more than 20 years ago and after I got used
to it, it was kind of nice. I do agree though that it would far more
practical to buy an auto-stick bug than to go through the ordeal of making
one from a std. tranny bug.

Old December 15th 04, 06:04 PM
Mike C.

That's what I had done...changed the auto to a four speed. Though the auto
stick was a funky thing and people didn't believe that you had an auto
transmission with a shifter and I had to show them. Still, I like the
control a manual transmission gives better and it isn't rocket science to
learn how to drive a stick.

Mike C.

ups.com...

Old December 15th 04, 10:24 PM
Chris Perdue

>From: Speedy Jim volks

>Tranny (good one)
>Drive plate
>Pedal cluster
>Shift rod AND shift lever
>Control solenoid
>Special oil pump
>Special vacuum tank and fluid tank
>3 Quarts of old-fashioned luck

4 quarts of luck, don't wanna run out...
and the clutch servo too....
-------------------
Chris Perdue
"I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in
the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the
air-cooled legend forward"
Jim Mais
Feb. 2004
Old December 15th 04, 11:07 PM
Speedy Jim

Chris Perdue wrote:

> 4 quarts of luck, don't wanna run out...
> and the clutch servo too....

LOL
I stand corrected...
Jim
Old December 15th 04, 11:36 PM
John Willis

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:02:44 -0500, "rtchad" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>does anyone know what part I would need to convert a 4speed manual to
>autostick?

Tell you what. Drive yourself (and a trailer) on down to Dallas, Texas
and I'll sell you one...or three complete autosticks. That way you
would make sure you have all the parts you will need, and lots of
spare parts as well!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)