puma adjustable beam

Old December 3rd 04, 02:45 PM
Damjan Mozetič

Default puma adjustable beam

Hi,

It's me again. I have two upgrades on my mind for my 1972 bug. The first
one is the cilinder+piston upgrade in my previous post, and the second
is the purchase of an adjustable puma beam. How would the car behave
with standard shocks if lowered? I guess the guys at
hoffmann-speedster.com don't recommend buying special shocks for no
reason...

Also there is a choice between some special shock absorber at 43.50 eur
and a red koni at 79.70 eur. Can anyone tell me if the quality is worth
the extra cost?

Is there anything I should know before switching my std beam with the
puma one? Anything else to buy/replace if I switch?

Thanks and regards,

Damjan
Old December 3rd 04, 03:28 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Depends on how much you lower the front. If you lower for 1-2 inches, then
the best shoks for the front (and cheapest too) are the stock Cofap shocks
(the yellow ones). You will have to remove the rubber stop on the top of the
shock to make them work though.

The KONI red adjustable shocks are excelent, but not really needed unless
you know what you are doing and know how to dial them in to achieve the same
ride as with the stock cofap shocks.

The more you lower the front with adjustable beams, the harsher it will be.

Bill,
'67 Bug.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:42 PM
Damjan Mozetič

The problem is I can't get the Cofap shocks, but I can get either some
no-name shock absorber or the koni red one. Are u sure we are talking of
the same koni shock? Here's the pic:
http://www.hoffmann-speedster.com/im...0/020_4243.jpg
Otherwise you can see the selection I can choose from he
http://www.hoffmann-speedster.com/us/fahr_2.htm

Most probably I'd go about 2 inches down to prevent rubbing... speaking
of rubbing, is the puma beam any shorter than the stock one? Thanks!

Re,

Damjan

Old December 3rd 04, 04:05 PM
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Yes these are the KONI's I'm refering to. You have to adjust them to the
softer setting before installing them, and remove the foam stops that are
hidden under the dust cover of the shocks, so that you have increased
travel.

The beams are not shorter than the stock, unless they say so.
With 2 inch drop and wider wheels on rims with more offset that stock (such
as empi 8spoke), the wheels just start to rub in the inside fender lip when
braking, but not very bad.