One foot over the line

Old January 2nd 05, 11:41 PM
John David Galt

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:07:48 -0800, John David Galt
> > wrote:
>

>>Take the space. But write down his license number in case he clobbers you
>>for it, intentionally or not.

> Useless.
>
> If you return to your car to find his car gone and yours damaged, you
> have no idea whether he caused it or whether a third car parked next
> to you after he left and caused the damage.

You have the preponderance of the evidence, which is enough to win a suit.
Old January 3rd 05, 12:00 AM
Furious George

John David Galt wrote:
> Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:07:48 -0800, John David Galt
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>Take the space. But write down his license number in case he

clobbers you
> >>for it, intentionally or not.

> > Useless.
> >
> > If you return to your car to find his car gone and yours damaged,

you
> > have no idea whether he caused it or whether a third car parked

next
> > to you after he left and caused the damage.

> You have the preponderance of the evidence, which is enough to win a

suit.

Don't worry about it. If someone dings your car, just find some
expensive car and park next to it. Make sure you write down its
license number. Then tell the court that the expensive car dinged you
(intentionally or not). Galt said that is preponderance of the
evidence. Make sure that the expensive car does not have any dings in
it or else they might countersue and since they have a preponderance of
the evidence fixing their car might be expensive.

Old January 3rd 05, 12:00 AM
Furious George

Old January 3rd 05, 02:28 AM
Furious George

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:

clobbers you

> >> Useless.
> >>
> >> If you return to your car to find his car gone and yours damaged,

you
> >> have no idea whether he caused it or whether a third car parked

next
> >> to you after he left and caused the damage.

> >You have the preponderance of the evidence, which is enough to win a

suit.

> So in other words I can write down YOUR licence plate number, claim
> that YOU hit my car, and I'll win in court because I have "the
> preponderance of the evidence?"
>
> Somehow I don't think so.

No dumbass. Write down the licence plate of someone who is rich. That
way you get more money.

Old January 3rd 05, 02:28 AM
Furious George

Old January 3rd 05, 05:58 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Larry Scholnick <Larry_Scholnick At Yahoo Dot Com> wrote:
>Here's the situation:
>
>The parking lot is nearly full.
>A Nice New car is parked almost a foot over the left-side line into the next parking space.
>There's enough room for me to park entirely within the lines of the (remaining) space.
>There's at least an inch of clearance between my right-side mirror and his left-side mirror.
>My car is in decent shape; it's about 3 years old.
>
>Should I take the space, or keep on looking?

Entirely up to you. But what you shouldn't do is give any
consideration to the person who parked his own car in two spots.
Old January 3rd 05, 05:58 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 3rd 05, 06:04 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ch.edu>,
Daniel J. Stern > wrote:

>Dale Earnhart once said "Drive close to the wall, that way you won't have
>time to accelerate on your way into it."

Considering how he died, maybe not the best guy to take advice from on
that point.
Old January 3rd 05, 06:04 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 3rd 05, 07:31 PM
Nate Nagel

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> In article ch.edu>,
> Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
>
>>Dale Earnhart once said "Drive close to the wall, that way you won't have
>>time to accelerate on your way into it."

> Considering how he died, maybe not the best guy to take advice from on
> that point.

Actually, that advice might have made his fatal incident survivable. If
you look at the footage, it appears that his car "caught" and drove
straight into the wall at a decent clip. Pretty scary stuff. But you
don't always have the choice of a good place to crash from...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel