Audi S4 or BMW M3?

Old July 9th 05, 01:47 PM
Daz

Default Audi S4 or BMW M3?

Hi,

I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though
and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.

Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.

But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's
why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out until
2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the S4
is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)

Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Daz

Old July 9th 05, 02:28 PM
R@L

"Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though
> and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
> nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>
> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>
> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's
> why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out
> until 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if
> the S4 is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>
> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
>
> Thanks
>
> Daz

In Europe these cars are considered lifestyle specific.
BMW drivers would -in general- not consider an Audi and the other way
around.
If you look for 'agressive drive' it's BMW even if an Audi has the same or
more power it never feels really agressive.

My two cents.

Ronald

Old July 9th 05, 05:50 PM
Dave

> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though
> and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
> nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>
> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>
> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's
> why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out
> until 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if
> the S4 is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>
> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!

Have a look at www.audi-sport.net. Someones in the same (lucky) position as
you. IIRC, his conclusion was that the S4 was a better day-to-day car on any
road but the BMW was a better drive.

The S4 saloon and avant are available with the facelifted look but the cab
won't be available until next year.

HTH
Dave

Old July 9th 05, 11:11 PM
Pete Stolz

Hi Daz,

I just bought an '04 S4 in March. Holy Crap. I freakin' love this car.
It's a Nogaro blue with the silver leather seats. I've driven it and an RS6
at Road America (both totally stock on some fun laps by myself--another
story). I didn't put down any lap times in either of them, but the S4
obviously had less power, but the feel of the car was much better. It was
more nimble and less "heavy" than the RS6 especially under braking (the
RS6's brakes were smoking when I brought it in). As for an M3, also a
fantastic car with similar hp. With the V8, the S4's got a big edge in
torque at about 300 ft/lbs to the M3's 260. That'll get you off the line
very fast and with the Quattro, you'll minimize wheel spin. I don't know
where you are but for me, I like the Quattro AWD because I live in
Wisconsin. With either car, I'm SURE you'll be happy. I picked the S4
because of the Quattro, the four doors (gotta get the fam in the back
easily), and because you just don't see a lot of S4's around here. I've got
the ONLY one in town. Pretty cool. I thought I read in Car & Driver
recently that an RS4 is coming out in spring. Maybe you want to wait for
THAT rascal! Glad to hear you have such a problem! Don't expect anybody to
feel sorry for you!
Pete

Old July 11th 05, 03:30 AM
Shagster

What is the Audi......About 8-10k CHEAPER and has all wheel drive... No
brainer.

Troy

Old July 11th 05, 05:30 AM

Daz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though
> and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
> nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>
> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>
> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's
> why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out until
> 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the S4
> is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>
> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
>
> Thanks

Get both and report back as to which one you think is better, and why.

E.P.

Old July 11th 05, 02:03 PM
Dave LaCourse

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:47:35 +0100, "Daz" <daz@home> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change though
>and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
>nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>
>Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
>driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
>aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>
>But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose that's
>why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out until
>2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the S4
>is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>
>Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
>
>Thanks
>
>Daz

Drive both of them in "normal" conditions, i.e., rain, snow, etc.

The S4 will still give wonderful performance in *any* weather
conditions. While I enjoy a rear wheel driver with hoodles of
torque/power, none will ever replace my Quattros.

Dave LaCourse
RS6

Old July 11th 05, 09:12 PM
Daz

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Daz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change
>> though
>> and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also a very
>> nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>>
>> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
>> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
>> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>>
>> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose
>> that's
>> why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be out
>> until
>> 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't know if the
>> S4
>> is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>>
>> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
>>
>> Thanks

> Get both and report back as to which one you think is better, and why.

Will do!!!

Old July 11th 05, 09:12 PM
Daz

"Shagster" > wrote in message
> What is the Audi......About 8-10k CHEAPER and has all wheel drive... No
> brainer.

Same price (12 months old) in the UK...

> Troy
>

> "Daz" <daz@home> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used to own a 330ci (2001) and loved this car, I fancied a change
>> though and for the last 12 months have owned an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro, also
>> a very nice car but not quite as fun to drive as the BMW.
>>
>> Now I'm looking at changing and I can't decide on an M3 or an S4, I've
>> driven both a while back and I favoured the BMW, seemed like a more
>> aggressive drive and had a lot of brute force.
>>
>> But now when I look inside the BMW it all looks very dated, suppose
>> that's why they're changing the 3 series, even if the Coupe / M3 won't be
>> out until 2007 :-(. The Audi looks a lot more up to date but I don't
>> know if the S4 is available with the face lift yet (do you know when?)
>>
>> Has anybody owned both these cars, any advice would be welcome!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Daz

Audi questions from a perspective buyer K. Daver Audi 22 March 13th 05 01:44 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 December 18th 04 09:28 AM
Audi tt coupe 1.8L 225HP Question. sams General 1 December 17th 04 05:47 AM
audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM