Duct Tape and Root Beer

Old June 21st 05, 03:39 PM
Susan S.

Default Duct Tape and Root Beer

Here I am...upset that I've snapped the Y pipe (under the back seat on the
driver side) right off !!
Shot off some emails, called some local "experts" and started questioning
if I really needed heat in the front of the car.

So today I decided to peel off all the nasty insulation and silver duct tape
and see just what it was I had torn up.......

Duct tape and A & W Root beer !!!! Got to love those PO's !!!

http://public.fotki.com/hummingbirdxss/y_pipe/

Susan S.
74 Std Betty

Old June 21st 05, 05:10 PM
Christian M. Mericle

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:39:03 -0500, "Susan S."
> wrote:

>Here I am...upset that I've snapped the Y pipe (under the back seat on the
>driver side) right off !!
>Shot off some emails, called some local "experts" and started questioning
>if I really needed heat in the front of the car.
>
>So today I decided to peel off all the nasty insulation and silver duct tape
>and see just what it was I had torn up.......
>
>Duct tape and A & W Root beer !!!! Got to love those PO's !!!
>
>http://public.fotki.com/hummingbirdxss/y_pipe/
>
>Susan S.
>74 Std Betty

I can't even figure out the reason for some of the stuff that was done
to my bus by PO's.

-- Christian
'71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
Old June 21st 05, 05:41 PM
johnboy

"Susan S." > wrote in message
news
> Duct tape and A & W Root beer !!!! Got to love those PO's !!!

Duct tape not a good material for warm or hot pipes, regardless of its
design intent. You might want to consider another material.

Old June 21st 05, 05:54 PM
Susan S.

Yep, not too keen on putting the duct tape back on. Was told that the tape
made for mufflers would work good in this spot. Think so ? What about
reattaching it to the wall and heater channel ?

Susan S

Old June 21st 05, 06:38 PM
johnboy

"Susan S." > wrote in message
> Yep, not too keen on putting the duct tape back on. Was told that the
> tape
> made for mufflers would work good in this spot. Think so ? What about
> reattaching it to the wall and heater channel ?

I have a friend who is a retired heat and air-conditioning guy, and those
people can bend and shape sheetmetal in ways that amazes me. If you could
find a sympathetic craftsman, he'd whip up a solution in no time. I kind of
like the cut beer can approach. Just be sure to place the seams so that the
flow of air encourages the flow in the right direction. I guess we need a
drawing here.

Old June 21st 05, 08:35 PM
Susan S.

No, I get what you mean.....air flow must be from small pipe into larger
pipe or it will leak out the seams.
Hmmmmmm now where's that beer can.

Susan S.

Old June 21st 05, 10:08 PM
Dennis Wik

I've used Aluminum tape on the heat system before and it worked good. I
bought it years ago at Harbor Freight.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old June 22nd 05, 01:37 AM
John Willis

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:38:43 -0500, "johnboy" >
scribbled this interesting note:

>"Susan S." > wrote in message
t...
>> Yep, not too keen on putting the duct tape back on. Was told that the
>> tape
>> made for mufflers would work good in this spot. Think so ? What about
>> reattaching it to the wall and heater channel ?

>I have a friend who is a retired heat and air-conditioning guy, and those
>people can bend and shape sheetmetal in ways that amazes me. If you could
>find a sympathetic craftsman, he'd whip up a solution in no time. I kind of
>like the cut beer can approach. Just be sure to place the seams so that the
>flow of air encourages the flow in the right direction. I guess we need a
>drawing here.

Sheet metal and HVAC foil tape. I love the stuff.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old June 22nd 05, 01:59 AM
MUADIB®

So you're saying that you don;t need a part now???

I thought we were talking about the bakelite part under the rearend.
The Y-Pipe yopu show, doesn;t look damaged at all. What's wrong with
it?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.