Typical response from SUV driver

Old June 20th 05, 08:58 PM
Cartrivision1

Default Typical response from SUV driver

I was walking my dogs as I usually do by the high school a few blocks
from my home. It is in a fairly affluent neighborhood, and as you can
expect a number (a lot) of people drive large SUV's around here. Of
course they are usually piloted by a soccer mom with a cell-phone
plastered to her face. But anyway, after seeing this for over a year I
finally had enough and said something to one of them. It went
something like this:

Me(As SUV went by with windows down): "Gas Waster"!

Her(after stopping and backing up to confront me): "Excuse me"?

Me: "Gas Waster".

Her: "What do you know about me"?

Me: "I know that you are driving an empty 6000 lb. vehicle around".

Her: "I am trying to find my 6 kids that I am usualy driving around"
(or something similar to that). Then she gives me the finger and calls
me an **shole, and drives off.

Ok, if you take her at her word that the Suburban is always full of
children that she is shuttling around, aren't there safer and more
efficent means? I did a Google search, and the Honda Odyssey gets
around 26 or so mpg on the highway. My sister has one of these and
these are very safe and versatile vehicles.

And besides, how many of these enormous SUV's do you see that are
actually being used to their full potential? That is why I coined the
term a few years back, "Seats Usually Vacant".

CTV

Old June 20th 05, 09:33 PM
Paul

On 20 Jun 2005 12:58:43 -0700, Cartrivision1 , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

<snip>

> And besides, how many of these enormous SUV's do you see that are
> actually being used to their full potential?

None.

> That is why I coined the
> term a few years back, "Seats Usually Vacant".

We have another term we use here to describe women (and men) like the one
you encountered: MFFY - Me First, **** You. Describes 100% the attitude
of someone who drives a Stupid Useless Vehicle with Seats Usually Vacant.
Old June 20th 05, 09:56 PM
Dan J.S.

"Cartrivision1" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was walking my dogs as I usually do by the high school a few blocks
> from my home. It is in a fairly affluent neighborhood, and as you can
> expect a number (a lot) of people drive large SUV's around here. Of
> course they are usually piloted by a soccer mom with a cell-phone
> plastered to her face. But anyway, after seeing this for over a year I
> finally had enough and said something to one of them. It went
> something like this:
>
> Me(As SUV went by with windows down): "Gas Waster"!
>
> Her(after stopping and backing up to confront me): "Excuse me"?
>
> Me: "Gas Waster".
>
> Her: "What do you know about me"?
>
> Me: "I know that you are driving an empty 6000 lb. vehicle around".
>
> Her: "I am trying to find my 6 kids that I am usualy driving around"
> (or something similar to that). Then she gives me the finger and calls
> me an **shole, and drives off.
>

> Ok, if you take her at her word that the Suburban is always full of
> children that she is shuttling around, aren't there safer and more
> efficent means? I did a Google search, and the Honda Odyssey gets
> around 26 or so mpg on the highway. My sister has one of these and
> these are very safe and versatile vehicles.
>
> And besides, how many of these enormous SUV's do you see that are
> actually being used to their full potential? That is why I coined the
> term a few years back, "Seats Usually Vacant".
>

> CTV

Do you ever leave your lights on when you are not in a room? Or turn up the
heat? I mean, we are all gas wasterers. There is plenty of gas to waste. I
own one of those vans you mentioned, and I get 14 MPG (thats a new Sienna
Minivan)... yeah the sticker says 24, but thats on the highway in perfect
conditions.

Why do people care what you drive? Look at all the **** you probably buy
from China, who is using GENERATORS to produce electricity because their
grid is wacked (This is why the gas prices are high). Your little $3 chinese
made knife caused just as much in energy consumption as the conversation you
had with the SUV driver.

Old June 20th 05, 11:29 PM
James C. Reeves

"Dan J.S." > wrote in message

> Do you ever leave your lights on when you are not in a room? Or turn up
> the heat? I mean, we are all gas wasterers. There is plenty of gas to
> waste. I own one of those vans you mentioned, and I get 14 MPG (thats a
> new Sienna Minivan)... yeah the sticker says 24, but thats on the highway
> in perfect conditions.
>
> Why do people care what you drive? Look at all the **** you probably buy
> from China, who is using GENERATORS to produce electricity because their
> grid is wacked (This is why the gas prices are high). Your little $3
> chinese made knife caused just as much in energy consumption as the
> conversation you had with the SUV driver.

There is something very wrong with your Sienna. I have a 1997 Caravan 3.3
V6 and get 25-27 on highway trips (loaded with family and gear) and have
gotten as high as 30 empty. Around town I average 19-20, with 16 the
absolute lowest I've ever gotten (and I calculate MPG at every fill up). I
would think your Sienna should do better than a Caravan. I'd have it
checked.

Old June 21st 05, 12:00 AM
C.H.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:33:20 -0400, Paul wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2005 12:58:43 -0700, Cartrivision1 , said the following in
> rec.autos.driving...
>
>> And besides, how many of these enormous SUV's do you see that are
>> actually being used to their full potential?

> None.

My truck is used to its full potential. I even thought about buying a 2500
instead of a 1500 because trailering is easier with the heavier vehicle.
When I don't need the truck, it stays home.

I always laugh about emptyheaded wannabe-gas-saver punks, who have no idea
what a person is doing with their truck or SUV but have an unmanageable
compulsion to run their mouths.

>> That is why I coined the
>> term a few years back, "Seats Usually Vacant".

> We have another term we use here to describe women (and men) like the one
> you encountered: MFFY - Me First, **** You. Describes 100% the attitude of
> someone who drives a Stupid Useless Vehicle with Seats Usually Vacant.

I am not a fan of someone buying an SUV because they think its cool. But
there are a lot of legitimate reasons to own one (as friends, who borrow
my truck because their wannabe gas saver vehicle can't carry furniture,
bicycles or whatever). As long as you know nothing about the person in the
vehicle, don't run your mouth.

Chris
Old June 21st 05, 01:03 AM
Dave C.

> There is something very wrong with your Sienna. I have a 1997 Caravan 3.3
> V6 and get 25-27 on highway trips (loaded with family and gear) and have
> gotten as high as 30 empty. Around town I average 19-20, with 16 the
> absolute lowest I've ever gotten (and I calculate MPG at every fill up).

> would think your Sienna should do better than a Caravan. I'd have it
> checked.

Your caravan is atypical. I drove several of them (brand new), up to the
2002 model year, with the same or similar engine. I never got over 18MPG.
NEVER. It was mostly driven on long highway trips with the cruise control
set at ~5 over. But the cruise control didn't do much worse than I could on
my own, driving very conservatively. The best I ever got (the BEST) was
18MPG. Tires properly inflated, all maintenance done above and beyond the
recommendations in the owners manual. Several Caravans. I had buddies who
drove the same vehicle and none of them got over 18MPG (it wasn't me) -Dave

Old June 21st 05, 01:53 AM
Cartrivision1

C.H. wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:33:20 -0400, Paul wrote:
>
> > On 20 Jun 2005 12:58:43 -0700, Cartrivision1 , said the following in
> > rec.autos.driving...
> >
> >> And besides, how many of these enormous SUV's do you see that are
> >> actually being used to their full potential?

> > None.

> My truck is used to its full potential. I even thought about buying a 2500
> instead of a 1500 because trailering is easier with the heavier vehicle.
> When I don't need the truck, it stays home.
>
> I always laugh about emptyheaded wannabe-gas-saver punks, who have no idea
> what a person is doing with their truck or SUV but have an unmanageable
> compulsion to run their mouths.

The sad truth whether you want to admit it or not is that most if not
the majority of large trucks/SUV's are usually being driven around
empty, snd/or not trailering anything. I have another term that I
coined for those trucks....that is "Vanity Vrucks". You know, the ones
with the shiny tool boxes, grille guards, no hitch, etc., and with not
a speck of dirt or scratch to be seen.

And yes, we all have a responsibility to our fellow citizens to not be
wasteful of our limited resources. Just cause you CAN drive around an
emplty Chevy Suburban does not make it right. I do not have to go back
to all of the reasons that SUV's are wasteful, I am sure we have all
heard them a million times. Not to mention what the greater demand for
fuel most likely does to gas prices.

CTV

Old June 21st 05, 02:05 AM
Cartrivision1

Sorry about my godawful spelling on that last post. I wish Google had
a way of letting the author edit his/her posts....or is there?

CTV

Old June 21st 05, 02:48 AM
C.H.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:53:18 -0700, Cartrivision1 wrote:

> C.H. wrote:

>> My truck is used to its full potential. I even thought about buying a
>> 2500 instead of a 1500 because trailering is easier with the heavier
>> vehicle. When I don't need the truck, it stays home.
>>
>> I always laugh about emptyheaded wannabe-gas-saver punks, who have no
>> idea what a person is doing with their truck or SUV but have an
>> unmanageable compulsion to run their mouths.
>>

> The sad truth whether you want to admit it or not is that most if not the
> majority of large trucks/SUV's are usually being driven around empty,
> snd/or not trailering anything. I have another term that I coined for
> those trucks....that is "Vanity Vrucks". You know, the ones with the
> shiny tool boxes, grille guards, no hitch, etc., and with not a speck of
> dirt or scratch to be seen.

Yes, there are what you call 'vanity trucks' out there. No, you do not
know, whether a truck is a vanity truck or not. And no, insulting people
you know nothing about is not cool, its just stupid and juvenile.

It is one of the biggest problems of our time, that people in general
and specifically people like you are more prejudiced and try to force
their lifestyle and their limited world view onto others.

And people like you make the ones, who legitimately try to educate people
about SUV usage look stupid and stop the SUV crowd from taking them
seriously.

Chris
Old June 21st 05, 02:49 AM
C.H.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:05:53 -0700, Cartrivision1 wrote:

> Sorry about my godawful spelling on that last post. I wish Google had a
> way of letting the author edit his/her posts....or is there?

I didn't mind the spelling, I minded the narrow-minded world-view and your
extreme prejudices.

Chris