Cam Belt

Old March 14th 05, 05:20 PM
JIMMY

Default Cam Belt

Having just stumped up £500+ for a 36,000 service and suspension
bushes on my 2001 selespeed, the last thing i wanted to hear was the
garage ’suggesting’ that the cam belt ought to be replaced at a
further cost of £450. I understood 72,000 was the recommended mileage.
Anyone else experienced this?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Alfa-Romeo...ict107453.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=501259
Old March 14th 05, 06:32 PM
Pete

On 14 Mar 2005 12:20:04 -0500, JIMMY >,
wrote:

>Anyone else experienced this?

Yes. Every owner of an Alfa since 2002

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old March 14th 05, 06:46 PM
Pete

wrote:

>Anyone else experienced this?

Sorry. I forgot to paste the link <whoops>
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1BB21BAA

Pete

Old March 14th 05, 07:58 PM
Neil G

wrote:

>Having just stumped up £500+ for a 36,000 service and suspension
>bushes on my 2001 selespeed, the last thing i wanted to hear was the
>garage ’suggesting’ that the cam belt ought to be replaced at a
>further cost of £450. I understood 72,000 was the recommended mileage.
>Anyone else experienced this?

AIUI there have been premature failures possibly causing AR lots of
£££ in warranty repairs. Upshot: change your advice and shorten the
interval to about 100000km or 37500 miles. Money saved fro them but
maybe not you. But still the alternative is not pretty.

Am I wrong?
Old March 15th 05, 07:40 AM
has.mac

"JIMMY" > wrote in message
news:1_501259_c7b35d153a6d8d14495b06ec7e652d69@www .autoforumz.com...
> Having just stumped up £500+ for a 36,000 service and suspension
> bushes on my 2001 selespeed, the last thing i wanted to hear was the
> garage 'suggesting' that the cam belt ought to be replaced at a
> further cost of £450. I understood 72,000 was the recommended mileage.
> Anyone else experienced this?

72000 is the "official" recommendation, but, alot of people haven't made it
that far before it goes wrong. I don't think the official recommendation
takes into account the 'enthusiastic' nature of most Alfa drivers.

36000 is being careful. Certainly it should be inspected by a garage. Then
they should make a recommendation based on age and condition of the belt and
tensioner.

48000 is reasonable, so maybe do it next time if you've just splashed out
and they haven't specifically said it is in bad shape.

60000 is probably the latest you should leave it.

has.mac

Old March 15th 05, 08:07 AM
David Beamish

has.mac puts on the robe and wizard hat... HARRRRRRRRRR:

> "JIMMY" > wrote in message
> news:1_501259_c7b35d153a6d8d14495b06ec7e652d69@www .autoforumz.com...
>> Having just stumped up £500+ for a 36,000 service and suspension
>> bushes on my 2001 selespeed, the last thing i wanted to hear was the
>> garage 'suggesting' that the cam belt ought to be replaced at a
>> further cost of £450. I understood 72,000 was the recommended
>> mileage. Anyone else experienced this?

> 72000 is the "official" recommendation, but, alot of people haven't
> made it that far before it goes wrong. I don't think the official
> recommendation takes into account the 'enthusiastic' nature of most
> Alfa drivers.
>
> 36000 is being careful. Certainly it should be inspected by a garage.
> Then they should make a recommendation based on age and condition of
> the belt and tensioner.
>
> 48000 is reasonable, so maybe do it next time if you've just splashed
> out and they haven't specifically said it is in bad shape.
>
> 60000 is probably the latest you should leave it.
>
> has.mac

I thought Alfa changed their official line on this to 36k..

--
Dave

Get me away from here I’m dying
Play me a song to set me free
Old March 15th 05, 12:48 PM
has.mac

"David Beamish" > wrote in message
.. .
> has.mac puts on the robe and wizard hat... HARRRRRRRRRR:

> I thought Alfa changed their official line on this to 36k..

Maybe they have, recently. My service book ('04 Sportwagon) still says
72000.

Old March 15th 05, 05:34 PM
Richard Fantom

As far as I am aware, Alfa changed the recommendation to 36000miles for 4
cylinder petrol engines, 72000 for V6 petrol. I don't know about diesels.

I have a V6, but am going to get mine done at 60k

Old March 15th 05, 08:50 PM
Paul Woodsford

According to my dealer it is :-
Check at 36,000
Change at 72,000 anyway.

This is for a 2004 147 1.6 T Spark.

Having had a failure at 12,230 due to a fault I know what it involves and
the new belt etc will be fitted at 48,000. I'm taking no chances.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old March 16th 05, 09:45 AM
David Beamish

Paul Woodsford wibbled in this way:

> According to my dealer it is :-
> Check at 36,000
> Change at 72,000 anyway.
>
> This is for a 2004 147 1.6 T Spark.
>
> Having had a failure at 12,230 due to a fault I know what it involves
> and the new belt etc will be fitted at 48,000. I'm taking no chances.

Indeed. I've just had mine done at 23k since the car is now 6 years old
(Spider).

--
David

The fish of the day is trout a la creme