No Power Adders > '05 GT Mustang Goes 12.3s @ 112

Old December 5th 04, 05:39 AM
Patrick

Default No Power Adders > '05 GT Mustang Goes 12.3s @ 112

Yeah, you read it right, a 12.31 @ 112.76 mph.

Paul Svinicki (Paul's High Performance in Jackson, Michigan based
lined a bone-stock 5-speed '05 GT Mustang and ran 13.90 @ 101 mph.

Stock rear-wheel horsepower was 274.8 with 300 lb-ft of torque.

Then they added:

-Replacement rear control arms
-Lightweight Wilwood disc brakes
-Weld Pro Star racing wheels
-Tokico coilover shocks/struts
-Bassani exhaust system with high-flow cats (prototype system)
-4.30 rear gears
-Cold-air intake system
-U/D pullies
-Custom tune by Superchips
-Fabbed a rear seat delete kit

-In all, 380 pounds were lost.

After the mods, rear-wheel horsepower jumped 25 ponies to 299.5 and
318.9 lb-ft of torque.

I don't know about you, but I'm VERY impressed! Looking at the list
there isn't anything exotic, except for the brakes. The rest of the
stuff is regular bolt-on stuff you'd add to any Mustang anyway.

The really interesting part is the supertune. Appearently, Ford has
the computer in the new GT Mustangs calibrated very "soft." Seems the
computer throttles back the power if it senses heavy wheel spin. But
with a custom chip added, it's giddy up GONE...bye bye...

Check out the article. It's in the new January edition of Hot Rod
magazine.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD
Old December 5th 04, 05:10 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Over at The Corral I've read the same thing about the '05 computers.
Evidently they are a major hp bottle neck in the '05 Mustangs. I've
read where just a recalibrate chip nets close to 300 rwhp. Now that is
a great bang-for-the-buck modification. I've also read that cat-back
exhaust modifications aren't that effective. The stock cat-back exhaust
is pretty good. Also, the new rear end configuration really shines at
the drag strip by improving off-the-line performance. That is an
excellent time though. Much better than I would have expected, even
with 300 rwhp.

Old December 5th 04, 10:12 PM
Patrick

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in message >...

> Over at The Corral I've read the same thing about the '05 computers.
> Evidently they are a major hp bottle neck in the '05 Mustangs. I've
> read where just a recalibrate chip nets close to 300 rwhp. Now that is
> a great bang-for-the-buck modification. I've also read that cat-back
> exhaust modifications aren't that effective. The stock cat-back exhaust
> is pretty good.

It is. It's all mandrel bent 2 1/2".

So besides the pullies & lightweight wheels, it's just almost all
about the super tune. Amazing that a regular '05 GT Mustang, with
just a couple simple mods, is outperforming a stock '03-'04 terminator
[Cobra] Mustang.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old December 6th 04, 04:56 AM
Erik D.

I heard the same thing about the computers. My friend said they had one
on the dyno at JMS and they picked up about 40rwhp with just a tune.
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old December 6th 04, 05:44 AM
Gill

I was just wondering, say your neighbor got an 05 Mustang, and you got
one with all the same options, could one of you buy the SCT flash
http://sctflash.com/ and just share it with the other? Or the whole
neighborhood for that matter. Not condoning piracy, just wondering.

Tropic Green Y2K 5 Speed Mustang GT
P-1SC & Some MM Stuff
http://tinyurl.com/5d6dy

Old December 6th 04, 05:59 AM
WraithCobra

I wouldn't call that "out performing" a stock Terminator. An experienced
drag racer can get a 12.3 at 112 out of a stock supercharged Cobra. Also
remember that a CAI and Cat-back, less than $500, will net over 40 horses to
the rear wheels. That's over 400 horses to the pavement. A simple Predator
or Hypertec tune with that will up that another 25 to 30. After that it's
just a pulley and tune to 550 or more. Modified Eaton Cobra's are in the 11
sec club, swap to a KB or Whipple and watch out. The new Mustang GT is a
great car, but it does not compare to the Terminator. Even on a road course
the Cobra out performs the new Mustang. And the next Cobra's gonna' be a
killer!
--
Mike
Silver 10th Anniversary Cobra Coupe

om...

Old December 6th 04, 02:36 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

I don't think it will work. I believe the SCT flasher is similar to the
Hypertech in that it "marries" itself to one computer and won't work
with any other after that has occurred.

Old December 6th 04, 10:57 PM

This is Paul Svinicki we're talking about though . Most mortals will
*not* achieve that level of performance from 300 rwhp in a 3070 lb car
(112 mph traps!!), track or street. He's the same guy that bolted an
exhaust, filter, and slicks to a Terminator and made it go 11.95 @ 116
mph on the IRS . Imagine if he'd pulled 380 lbs off *that* car .

Nah, we Terminators don't have to worry until the boost dudes figure
out the tuning issues with huffers and blow driers. Then a new monster
hits the streets .
Dan
2003 Cobra convertible
With some stuff and things

Old December 6th 04, 11:28 PM
Dan

I kinda doubt this, myself. At full weight, as nice as the new Mustang
GT is, even with 300 rwhp, stock it might win to 60 feet because of
it's rear end, but then it's looking at Cobra tail lights the rest of
the way. I think it's a combination of otehr things. They got mauled
more than once by the perception that they were overrating the Mustang
and it's variants. Added to that, for a long time, the LS1 was clearly
underrated in every trim it came in. I smell Ford trying to build some
value into the car for a change, up front. Then there's the fact that
Mustang sells without the power. LS1 was clearly a better bang for the
buck (motor-wise) for the budget oriented racer for a long time but
that didn't sell more cars. I can see Ford just not worrying too much
about hitting high power numbers: one because it's the only pony car
out there, and two, because history shows that the car will still sell
well anyway.

Finally, I honestly don't think they are worrying about "sold"/"old"
Mustangs right now. The Terminator era is over, really. Anyone buying a
Terminator right now is doing so because they already wanted one, for
whatever reason. Why would they care if their new baby spanked it. In
fact, I'll argue, they'd want the Mustang GT to be spanking because
that sets up the sales for the oncoming S197 SVT Cobra which will be
based on this same technology and have even more power .
Dan
2003 Cobra convertible
With some stuff and things

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Simulators 1 December 20th 04 01:23 PM
eScrew [email protected] Driving 0 December 20th 04 10:52 AM
Mustang Fever All Over Again Jim S. Ford Mustang 12 December 13th 04 09:11 PM
'66 Mustang drum -> power front disc conversion rw Ford Mustang 12 December 5th 04 07:32 PM
65 mustang power st center link needed Lucas4927 Ford Mustang 0 November 9th 04 03:28 PM