2000 BMW Z3 Power Convertible Top Stopped Working!

Old December 9th 05, 03:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 2000 BMW Z3 Power Convertible Top Stopped Working!

Hi,

The other day I attempted to put the top down on my BMW Z3 2.3 and
absolutely nothing happened. The motor didn't run, couldn't hear it at
all and of course top didn't move. I assumed the motor has burned out.
I had noticed the past few months, the motor seemed to struggle a
little. My question is how do I find this part? I've been trying to
get a part number so I could order it but have googled and searched
everywhere and have found no references to it. Does anybody know where
I can find one (not just a shop or eCommerce store, but the actually
part number or name of the part)? I did find reference to an
electronic control module, but not sure if that's what I actually need.
Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! It may be that I'm
not using the right keywords, i figured I could easily find references
to it w/ Convertible top motor, or something like that, but no luck.

Thanks,

Nathan

Old December 9th 05, 05:05 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On 8 Dec 2005 19:10:57 -0800, against all advice, something
compelled , to say:

>The other day I attempted to put the top down on my BMW Z3 2.3 and
>absolutely nothing happened.

Better 'n the other way 'round.

Old December 9th 05, 03:55 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> The other day I attempted to put the top down on my BMW Z3 2.3 and
> absolutely nothing happened. The motor didn't run, couldn't hear it at
> all and of course top didn't move. I assumed the motor has burned out.
> I had noticed the past few months, the motor seemed to struggle a
> little. My question is how do I find this part? I've been trying to
> get a part number so I could order it but have googled and searched
> everywhere and have found no references to it. Does anybody know where
> I can find one (not just a shop or eCommerce store, but the actually
> part number or name of the part)? I did find reference to an
> electronic control module, but not sure if that's what I actually need.
> Any help or guidance would be much appreciated! It may be that I'm
> not using the right keywords, i figured I could easily find references
> to it w/ Convertible top motor, or something like that, but no luck.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nathan

I believe that I would debug the problem just a little bit more. It could
be that the motor has burned out, but you are just assuming that. It might
be that the mechanism is binding which contributed to the motor problem. It
could be that the cutoff switch has burned out. Doesn't the Bentley manual
show the parts in question?

Merely replacing the motor without really understanding the problem is just
throwing parts at the situation.
Jim

Old December 10th 05, 09:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I have a 2004 manual roof. The thing is soooooo easy to go up and down.
To go down, it is easier to perform from outside. Going up can easily be
performed from inside.

Your post makes me feel better that I got manual. I think it saved me at
least 1k and probably many more thousands in potential repairs.

-jpl-

In article .com>,
says...

Old December 10th 05, 02:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Have you checked the fuse?

oups.com...

Old December 12th 05, 02:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I doubt the motor is burnt out. I have to help my top by giving it a push to
get going.

oups.com...