65 tire recommendations

Old November 23rd 04, 04:35 PM
bad65

Default 65 tire recommendations

My 65 currently has 215-65-15 Michelin Pilot XGT V4's on AR Torq Thrust D's.
The suspension is a Vette brakes Performance Plus system with front and rear
glass springs. I installed the TT's to add a classic look to the car.
Because of the backspacing and the spacer required to run the TT's, I had to
lift the suspension about 2" to clear the rear fenders. With this lift I
loss a lot of cornering stability because of the higher center of gravity
and the taller sidewalls of the tires. On top of that, the narrower 215's
offer minimal bite and spin whenever drop the clutch and have a little 1/4
mile fun. I've decided to put the 7" rally's back on the car with at least
a 235-60-15 on the rear. I was thinking about 225-60-15 on the front to
avoid rubbing the frame. Does anyone have any tire recommendations for a
tire that has excellent bite and good cornering qualities? The car is used
for tooling around town mostly and rarely does any highway travelling.

Brian

Old November 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Diode

bad65 spoke thusly:

> My 65 currently has 215-65-15 Michelin Pilot XGT V4's on AR Torq Thrust D's.

<etc.>

I've always had good fortune with Goodyear. I've got the Eagle GT IIs
on mine (225-70-15) and I'm quite satisfied.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old November 23rd 04, 06:31 PM
Diode

bad65 spoke thusly:

Old November 25th 04, 05:11 PM
bad65

Thanks Diode, I had a set of Goodyear GT +4's on a '77 once. They were a
nice tire, but wheelspin was not a problem with the '77. Do you think a
block tread or a ribbed tread would give the performance I am looking for?
(straight line bite and cornering)

Brian

Old November 25th 04, 05:11 PM
bad65

Old November 29th 04, 10:53 PM
Diode

bad65 spoke thusly:

Do you think a
> block tread or a ribbed tread would give the performance I am looking for?
> (straight line bite and cornering)

Sheesh, ya got me buddy. I'm not well versed enough on this stuff to
give you an answer. "Dad" would prolly know...also, Ric Seyler is into
racing...he should know as well.

--

Shut up, Dave.

'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old November 29th 04, 10:53 PM
Diode

19 inch tire recommendations LIW Audi 0 November 25th 04 06:31 PM
Snow tire recommendations for 1997 M3 sedan? Robert La Ferla BMW 3 October 17th 04 02:18 PM
Tire pressure must be monitored on new models !!! news BMW 2 September 20th 04 10:24 PM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette Tom in Missouri Corvette 2 August 11th 04 04:21 PM
Proper tire pressure for Firestone Indy 500 FireHawk - 74 Vette - Can anyone read? Tom in Missouri Corvette 0 August 10th 04 05:30 PM