Replacing antenna on '97 Accord DX

Old December 14th 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones[_2_]

Default Replacing antenna on '97 Accord DX

The antenna on my 1997 Accord DX is broken.

I can't find the part, let alone instructions on how to replace it.
It's a manual antenna -- nothing power about it.

First, where do I find the part, and second, how do I install it?

Thanks.
Old December 14th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Autozone bought Alldata, and they advertise giving you instructions
with parts purchase (the TV commercial mentioned brake pads). If you
can find a power connector already there for the motorized antenna,
try Autozone's 44-PWHD94 for only $39.99.

It's interesting because Majestic Honda also lists power antenna only.
Give Majestic a call:

Telephone: 1.800.341.4113

Old December 14th 07, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

---------------------------

Your part numbers and diagrams are at www.slhondaparts.com

Should be simple once you figure out how to remove the lower dash panels.

Those instructions might be found he

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/index.html#list

'Curly'
Old December 14th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

I replaced my 91 Civic's antenna in early 2004. I bought a
perfectly good new antenna at Pep Boys. OEM is not
essential, IMO.

Routing the antenna wire is a little tricky. I bought some
10 AWG copper wire (with bright pink sheathing) at Lowe's or
Home Depot. It is the right stiffness for the job. I stuffed
the 10 AWG copper wire down the antenna orifice in the car
roof until I could see the pink on the left side of the
driver footwell. Many wires are down there, so ideally
you'll have a helper who can wiggle on the 10 AWG copper
wire while you watch for it in the footwell. I think I then
put a loop in the 10 AWG copper wire and dragged the antenna
wire down.

I did not have a service manual. IIRC I could not really
find much on the subject except in the archives of this
newsgroup.

The reason for changeout is because the base of the antenna
had become bent and was near breakage. A dealer forcing the
thing to do my "free" carwash the year before pretty much
spelled death for it. Kinda like the counsel that all the
hospital visits doctors prescribe make people sicker (due to
the higher presence of infectious diseases in hospitals vs.
the general environment), so too can dealer visits mean
one's car is actually sicker. ;-)

"Bob Jones" > wrote

Old December 14th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
E Meyer

A slightly simpler method is to unplug the old antenna cable from the radio
and tape or tie a long piece of wire or twine to the end of it before you
pull it out. Then tape the new cable to the string and pull it back in from
under the dash in the vicinity of the radio.

On 12/14/07 10:06 AM, in article , "Elle"

Old December 14th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Elle" > wrote in
:

> I replaced my 91 Civic's antenna in early 2004. I bought a
> perfectly good new antenna at Pep Boys. OEM is not
> essential, IMO.
>
> Routing the antenna wire is a little tricky.

So then your antenna lead didn't have a connector at the mast?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 15th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tegger" > wrote
> "Elle" > wrote
>> I replaced my 91 Civic's antenna in early 2004. I bought
>> perfectly good new antenna at Pep Boys. OEM is not
>> essential, IMO.
>>
>> Routing the antenna wire is a little tricky.

> So then your antenna lead didn't have a connector at the
> mast?

Such that the wire fully disconnected at the mast? No, not
that I recall. Or the way it was broken/breaking did not
warrant anything other than threading it through that wire
bundle on the lower left.

Old December 15th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Since I couldn't find a replacement one at my local parts store, I
ended up getting the OEM one. I had to remove the rear lining in the
trunk to get access to pull the antenna. I think the change took me
about 5 minutes without requiring any special tools. This was on my 95
Accord which is similar to your 97.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:54:12 -0800 (PST), Bob Jones
> wrote:

>The antenna on my 1997 Accord DX is broken.
>
>I can't find the part, let alone instructions on how to replace it.
>It's a manual antenna -- nothing power about it.
>
>First, where do I find the part, and second, how do I install it?
>
>Thanks.

Replacing 87 Accord Alternator [email protected] Honda 3 May 17th 07 11:50 PM
1990 accord broken antenna and stereo (???) [email protected] Honda 1 November 23rd 06 07:53 AM
replacing tires for accord ap Honda 23 March 20th 06 11:37 PM
Need help replacing my 02 Accord EX speakers.... [email protected] Honda 2 November 15th 05 10:40 PM
Replacing Alloy Wheels on 97 accord - what to look for? [email protected] Honda 3 February 16th 05 02:40 PM