First Oil Change Suggestions

Old December 9th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default First Oil Change Suggestions

Hello,

On my sister's 08 Accord she is almost at the point of her
first oil change. I'm going to wait until between 15-20% to change it
but I'm wondering should I use a dino oil on this change or a
synthetic blend before going fully synthetic. Also should I have one
more additional change after this one with the dino or synthetic blend
or will one be enough?

Thanks,
Nick
Old December 9th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bentracer and Bentrider

On Dec 9, 9:23 am, wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On my sister's 08 Accord she is almost at the point of her
> first oil change. I'm going to wait until between 15-20% to change it
> but I'm wondering should I use a dino oil on this change or a
> synthetic blend before going fully synthetic. Also should I have one
> more additional change after this one with the dino or synthetic blend
> or will one be enough?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Nick:
go with the synthetic blend for the first one and then go full
synthetic there after, i can tell you that i have NEVER had any
internal engine problems with using synthetic oil with routine
changes.
also with the vehicle think about using a K&N air filter for better
engine breathing and about twice a year spray and clean out the air
intake.
Old December 10th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Bentracer and Bentrider > wrote in news:952dd8e2-6288-
:

> also with the vehicle think about using a K&N air filter for better
> engine breathing

Think about it, then think again...
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

> and about twice a year spray and clean out the air
> intake.

You don't "spray" the "intake", you swab the throttle body clean. The two
are not the same thing. And it only needs to be done once per year if you
drive a lot, every two years if you drive less.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 10th 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Null

"Bentracer and Bentrider" > wrote in message
> On Dec 9, 9:23 am, wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On my sister's 08 Accord she is almost at the point of her
>> first oil change. I'm going to wait until between 15-20% to change it
>> but I'm wondering should I use a dino oil on this change or a
>> synthetic blend before going fully synthetic. Also should I have one
>> more additional change after this one with the dino or synthetic blend
>> or will one be enough?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick

> Nick:
> go with the synthetic blend for the first one and then go full
> synthetic there after, i can tell you that i have NEVER had any
> internal engine problems with using synthetic oil with routine
> changes.
> also with the vehicle think about using a K&N air filter for better
> engine breathing and about twice a year spray and clean out the air
> intake.

With a Japanese car, unless you use salad oil-- you're not going to have an
engine problem.

Old December 10th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

I only use Mobil 1. I've been running it for years in my Integra and
my 95 and 99 Accords. I just recall in the newsgroup others suggested
using a synthetic blend on the first change and then going to full
synthetic on the 2nd. I wanted to find out if that was still the case.

Old December 10th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Bob Jones

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> > wrote
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On my sister's 08 Accord she is almost at the point of her
>> first oil change. I'm going to wait until between 15-20% to change it

> Do it at 15% or less only..Honda can tell if you change it early, which
> according to them it is if you change at 20%.
>
>> but I'm wondering should I use a dino oil on this change or a
>> synthetic blend before going fully synthetic. Also should I have one
>> more additional change after this one with the dino or synthetic blend
>> or will one be enough?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick

> You can go directly to full synthetic and not look back.
>
> I like Mobile 1.....whats your choice?

Dino. Why pay 5 times more for synthetic when it is not required?

Old December 10th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester

"Polfus" wrote

>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

> Even though you took it over, I still like it and appreciate the link...

That's really got to make Tegger feel good... ;-)

Old December 10th 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
>> In article >,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I only use Mobil 1. I've been running it for years in my Integra and
>>> my 95 and 99 Accords.

>> Have you done a double blind test against dino oils under the same
>> circumstances in the same cars?

> "Double-blind" testing?
>
> What would make you suggest this methodology of engine oil "testing"?
>
>> No?
>>
>> Then how do you know Mobil 1 is better than dino?
>>
>> I used nothing but dino in my 92 Civic Si. I sold it with 120K on it a
>> few years ago; my nephew drove it for three years, then he sold it with
>> 145K on it. All dino.

> That's not very convincing "double-blind" testing, if that's what you
> are saying *you* did.
>
> !!!
>
> Did you put your 92 Civic Si in the shop to have them inspect the engine
> internally before you sold it each time? Get it on the dyno to compare
> initial levels when new and the results before you sold it? How do you
> know what it was other than just knowing that t he car started and ran
> for that length of time?
>
> You see my point?
>
>> When we did the Blackstone analysis at 120K, it came back "no
>> significant engine wear and plenty of lubricants left; you can easily
>> extend your oil change interval".

> Errr....how is that possible, especially when Blackstone Labratories
> tests *just* the oil sample you send them?
>
> I mean..they never looked at the car, so how can you say they said "no
> significant engine wear"?

because if the engine is wearing, wear product is present in the oil.
the proportions are directly correlated. no wear product, no wear.
it's very simple.

>> Mobil 1 is largely marketing. It may have some benefits under some
>> circumstances, but in a consumer Honda engine it's a waste of money.

> Can you prove that, and show a link that proves it?
>
>> Use dino. If you feel like it, change the oil at half the interval.

> That's not something I would be interested in at all with conventional
> oils.
>
>> You'll still save significant money while having all the benefits of
>> good lubrication and long engine life.

> I don't like conventional oils for the crap that gets in there from
> processing, so Ill stick with the clean stuff.
>
> And my original 1990 Accord has 192,000+ ( I just called my buddy that
> has it ), and used Mobile 1 all the way. Still running, strong too, with
> not one repair needed to the engine in 17 years.
>
> Not bad, eh?

with a honda, that's routine with conventional oils.
Old December 10th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

> > wrote
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On my sister's 08 Accord she is almost at the point of her
>> first oil change. I'm going to wait until between 15-20% to change it

> Do it at 15% or less only..Honda can tell if you change it early, which
> according to them it is if you change at 20%.
>
>> but I'm wondering should I use a dino oil on this change or a
>> synthetic blend before going fully synthetic. Also should I have one
>> more additional change after this one with the dino or synthetic blend
>> or will one be enough?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nick

> You can go directly to full synthetic and not look back.
>
> I like Mobile 1.....whats your choice?

that's "m-o-b-i-l". no "e".
Old December 10th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Polfus wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote

<snip>

>> Mobil 1 is largely marketing. It may have some benefits under some
>> circumstances, but in a consumer Honda engine it's a waste of money.

> Can you prove that, and show a link that proves it?
>
>> Use dino. If you feel like it, change the oil at half the interval.

> That's not something I would be interested in at all with conventional
> oils.
>
>> You'll still save significant money while having all the benefits of
>> good lubrication and long engine life.

> I don't like conventional oils for the crap that gets in there from
> processing, so Ill stick with the clean stuff.
>
> And my original 1990 Accord has 192,000+ ( I just called my buddy that
> has it ), and used Mobile 1 all the way. Still running, strong too, with
> not one repair needed to the engine in 17 years.
>
> Not bad, eh?

Not bad at all; but you're arguing "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" here,
namely since you put 192k miles on your car and used Mobil 1, it's
because you used Mobil 1, which is simply not proven.

<not intended as a flame, BTW>

Suggestions hls Technology 1 September 26th 07 03:18 AM
Suggestions on going to 33s? Aaron[_1_] Jeep 13 May 6th 07 05:20 AM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
SOA kit suggestions Chuck Jeep 9 March 28th 06 10:45 PM
Need some suggestions... Nick Price VW air cooled 1 March 5th 06 07:19 PM