Anyone know how to reset "Check Engine" lghit.

Old December 18th 04, 11:20 PM
Dorothy

Default Anyone know how to reset "Check Engine" lghit.

1997 ford explorer.
Old December 18th 04, 11:51 PM
Searcher

Yes, its real easy, Go to your local repair shop and have them replace the
defective emmisions part.

Searcher1

.. .

Old December 19th 04, 05:32 PM
Jim Warman

Then I guess it would be the result of a faulty emissions part to start
with..... "Faulty dealer repair"???? We all have our bad days....
dealerships, independant shops, accountants, waitresses, you, me.....

Speaking as a dealer tech, I must warn you that you need to be careful that
the boot you're p*ssing on today ain't attached to the ass you need to kiss
tomorrow.

"Not4Me" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:51:42 GMT, "Searcher"
> > wrote:
>
>>Yes, its real easy, Go to your local repair shop and have them replace the
>>defective emmisions part.
>>
>>Searcher1

>>> 1997 ford explorer.

Old December 20th 04, 06:03 PM
Mark Barrett

The Explorer "Check Engine" light goes way beyond just emission parts.
The light is turned on whenever any problem is found. It is also turned
on when the PCM is attemping to change the fuel mixture upon changing
driving conditions. If the light goes on and then goes off then the
system has corrected itself. The reason for the light turn-on will
have been stored as a code. My Explorer has 237,000 miles on it. During
that time the light has come on and stayed on two times. On both of these
occasions diagnosis of the code revealed the problem and parts were changed.
Fixing the problem caused the light to turn off.
Mark

Old December 21st 04, 02:33 PM
lovs2fly

What I can't understand is why the dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg
when you can get a data reader for under $100. I have a light staying on
with my 97 but to take it to a dealer is a killer. I guess I will go to Pep
Boys and buy the reader. At least I know if I ever use it again I would have
made out OK.

Old December 21st 04, 05:20 PM
Mike Iglesias

In article >,
lovs2fly > wrote:
>What I can't understand is why the dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg
>when you can get a data reader for under $100. I have a light staying on
>with my 97 but to take it to a dealer is a killer. I guess I will go to Pep
>Boys and buy the reader. At least I know if I ever use it again I would have
>made out OK.

I think Kragen will read the codes for you, so you can save the $$$ you might
spend on the reader on the repair itself.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Old December 21st 04, 08:04 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:33:42 -0500, "lovs2fly" >
wrote:

>What I can't understand is why the dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg
>when you can get a data reader for under $100. I have a light staying on
>with my 97 but to take it to a dealer is a killer. I guess I will go to Pep
>Boys and buy the reader. At least I know if I ever use it again I would have
>made out OK.

Maybe you've heard about the retired machinist who awas asked to help
his former shop fix a problem with a machine he was familiar with.
he went in, looked at the machine for a few minutes, and taqpped it
with a hammer. The machine was thus fixed.
When he sent in his bill, it read "Fix machine: $1500."
The office said the bill needed to be more precise in listing what
was done, and mentioned the bill seemed high for simply tapping the
machine with a hammer.
The next bill read:
"Apply hammer to machine: $5.00
Knowing where to apply hammer: $1495.00"
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 22nd 04, 02:18 AM
Doug S.

You can extinguish/reset the error light by disconnecting the positive
battery cable from the cars battery. Of course , if the problem has
not been corrected, the light will come back on again sooner or later.

You don't need to buy a reader, just to reset your trouble light.

Shop around for a good/accurate reader if you plan to use it to find
your problem.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
Jim Warman

Bear in mind that cheap code scanners have limited functuality..... usually
retrieving only generic OBD2 codes and don't offer actuator test modes nor
PID monitoring. Additionally, the wiener at the parts store wants to sell
parts... lot's of them. This scenario may work for some - None of my
customers want guesswork, repeat repairs nor unreliability.

A good Ford dealer will have 3 scan tools in their arsenal... the venerable
NGS (about $4G Canadian), the NGS+ ( a base NGS plus another $3G) and the
WDS... a very powerful (though slow and nearly antiquated) tool at about
$12G... none of these include the updates.....

Disconnecting the battery has little to do with repairing the problem......
otherwise we could fix that balky TV set by unplugging it for 15 minutes ( I
can see the rush to the wall outlet now).

A good chef makes more money than the kid at MacDonalds.... I wonder why???

"Doug S." > wrote in message
> You can extinguish/reset the error light by disconnecting the positive
> battery cable from the cars battery. Of course , if the problem has
> not been corrected, the light will come back on again sooner or later.
>
> You don't need to buy a reader, just to reset your trouble light.
>
> Shop around for a good/accurate reader if you plan to use it to find
> your problem.
>

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:33:42 -0500, "lovs2fly" >
> wrote:
>
>>What I can't understand is why the dealer wants to charge an arm and a leg
>>when you can get a data reader for under $100. I have a light staying on
>>with my 97 but to take it to a dealer is a killer. I guess I will go to
>>Pep
>>Boys and buy the reader. At least I know if I ever use it again I would
>>have
>>made out OK.
. ..

Old December 23rd 04, 06:04 AM
CWLee

"Jim Warman" > wrote

> A good chef makes more money than the kid at

MacDonalds.... I wonder why???

When I'm trying to decide between a $2 Big Mac at
MacDonalds, and the $20 hamburger the service writer, opps,
waiter suggests at le femme d'poo-poo fancy restaurant, I
ask myself will the Big Mac do the job for me, or should I
spend 10 times as much to get something maybe twice as good?
:-)

Keep up the good work Jim. We all respect your knowledge
and helpfulness. At the same time some of us here in the
USA have to deal with commission-based service writers who
would rather let us molest their 8-year-old daughters than
allow us to talk directly to a mechanic.

Best regards, Chuck.