Building a 'new' CJ7

Old July 27th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley

Default Building a 'new' CJ7

I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.

I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.

Is anyone doing this?

Old July 27th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clay B Carley

Steve Foley wrote:
> I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
> 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
> start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.
>
> I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
> Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.
>
> Is anyone doing this?

I haven't heard of any Jeeps being made yet, although like you say it
seems there's enough parts to do so.

I did see a company recently doing this with Land Cruiser FJ 40's. Looks
like the company may be TLC, www.tlc4x4.com. Look for the new replica fj40.
Old July 27th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Steve Foley wrote:
> I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
> 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
> start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.
>
> I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
> Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.
>
> Is anyone doing this?

LOL!

Yup, ONE PIECE AT A TIME.....

Seriously though, there are companies that were under license from Jeep
still making brand new CJ's.

Mahindra is one:
http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse...indramajor.htm
http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse..._UV_savari.htm
http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse...ander605DI.htm

And Mitsubishi
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3B/World/JapanPhotos.html

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile...
Old July 27th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve Foley

"Mike Romain" > wrote in message
g.com...

> Mahindra is one:
> http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse...indramajor.htm
> http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse..._UV_savari.htm
> http://www.mahindra.com/ourbusinesse...ander605DI.htm
>
> And Mitsubishi
> http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3B/World/JapanPhotos.html

These links are what got me thinking about this dumb idea.

You probably couldn't import one of these into the US. I doubt they meet
safety and emissions standards.

But.....

If you were to start with a 1978 CJ7, and replace everything, you've
essentially got a brand new 1978 CJ7.

I remember hearing (a long time ago) that to build a brand new 1973 Ford
Pinto one part at a time would cost $14,000. At the time, I think a brand
new 1973 Ford Pinto went for arounf $4,000.

Old July 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
c[_1_]

Steve Foley wrote:
> I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
> 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
> start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.
>
> I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
> Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.
>
> Is anyone doing this?

This may help you out a little. I didn't bother checking all the dealer
sites.

http://www.mdjuan.com.ph/locator.php

Chris
Old July 27th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
RapidRonnie

On Jul 27, 2:38 pm, c > wrote:
> Steve Foley wrote:
> > I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
> > 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
> > start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.

> > I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
> > Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.

> > Is anyone doing this?

Right now not many since convenience and do-it-for-me is king-hence
the '69 Camaros for Ferrari prices. When the stock market and consumer
credit crashes more will be amenable to this. Kit cars have become
nonexistent in the US, for example, but in England they are stilla
viable business. The Brits do not allow banks to finance bums and
expect to get paid.

But it's very possible. Two or three companies make aftermarket
frames and several others make aftermarket fiberglass or aluminum
bodies. Just buy one of each and add engine, trans, transfer case,
axles, driveshafts, wiring harness, springs, steering box, front end
parts, brakes, plumbing, fuel tank, and a few hundred little bits and
you are in business.

If you are a good scrounger it is not necessarily expensive, because
you can get all the items used.

The key is to do it in a state where you can get a replica or street
rod title in the model year of the vehicle it is made to look like or
resemble. That way once titled with a state VIN and ID plate you can
go to any other state and it is a early model vehicle.

Old July 28th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

RapidRonnie wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2:38 pm, c > wrote:
>> Steve Foley wrote:
>>> I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building
>>> 'new' 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000
>>> for them. They start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using
>>> the VIN and shell.

>>> I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much
>>> build a Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and
>>> others.

>>> Is anyone doing this?

> If you are a good scrounger it is not necessarily expensive, because
> you can get all the items used.

I was thinking this isn't much different from someone doing a frame-off
rebuild of a rustbucket. The biggest problem is getting all the
nit-noid bolts and parts that most rebuilders reuse.

For that much money I'd buy myself a nice used high performance sports
car. Like this one. And still have enough left for one years insuance. :/
http://www.donlleasing.com/detail-19...1-1075310.html

--
DougW

Old July 28th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
XS11E[_3_]

"DougW" > wrote:

> For that much money I'd buy myself a nice used high performance
> sports car. Like this one. And still have enough left for one
> years insuance. :/
> http://www.donlleasing.com/detail-19...1-1075310.html

Who would want that? There's no CUP HOLDERS!! <g>

Old July 28th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lee Ayrton

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Steve Foley wrote:

> I saw on the Discovery Channel a company out of California building 'new'
> 1969 Camaros (Unique Performance). They're getting $125,000 for them. They
> start with a junk from a boneyard, presumably using the VIN and shell.
>
> I was thinking (probably a mistake - but...) one could pretty much build a
> Jeep from the ground up with parts from JC Whitney and others.
>
> Is anyone doing this?

You mean apart from individuals like us?

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."

Old July 28th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
El Maximo

"Lee Ayrton" > wrote in message
x.com...

>> Is anyone doing this?

> You mean apart from individuals like us?

Yes. Is anyone building brand new Jeeps in the US besides DC as a commercial
venture?

It sounds like an interesting business venture, for someone with a ton of
cash burning a hole in their pocket.