New definition of fun

Old June 30th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

Default New definition of fun

Perhaps not new to you, but new for me! rFactor, G25, V8 Supercar, and
Nurburgring. Now that's a hoot.

It took a while to get comfortable with the G25. I was also tinkering with
the TrackIR and horizontal span across two 22" widescreens. The trick is to
center the TIR while looking a little above the center of the right screen.
This made the head position more or less natural for the "odd" wrong-hand
driver seat. It took a couple of days to reacclimate, but it really is the
setup to have. Big grins over here. I found I could double clutch clutchless
by blipping as it passed through neutral. Very addictive. Great car, great
track. Haven't had this much fun since the first few days of GPL.

Later. Got a few laps to turn out.

Old June 30th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rms[_2_]

Can you post a pic of your computer/wheel/monitor setup? I'd really like to
see it.

rms

t...

Old July 1st 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

Posted to alt.binaries.simulators.auto, "rFactor, 2x widescreen". I have the
vertical FOV fixed at 36 deg. It's nice to be able to see what you're doing.
The peripheral vision motion cues are far more important that I would have
thought. I find a single monitor now to be unsatisfactory.

Horizontal span, dual 22" widescreens, 3360x1050x32.

The G25 cabling on desk allows the shifter pod on the left only. It's a nice
fit my my new love affair with rFactor's V8 Supercars. The TrackIR scanner
head is clamped to the top of the left monitor. The camera's red-eye/low
light focus strobe was playing havoc with it, this shot only shows the
straight ahead view. The screenshot doesn't really capture how the bezels
split the field of view. For the most part, a slight head movement is all
that's needed to get your "sight picture" onto either the left or right
monitor. It didn't take long to for this to become second nature. Granted, 3
monitors would be a definite improvement over 2.

et...

Old July 2nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rms[_2_]

> Posted to alt.binaries.simulators.auto, "rFactor, 2x widescreen". I have
> the

Great stuff, thx! You like that head-tracking thing?

rms

Old July 2nd 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike Young

"rms" > wrote in message
. net...
>> Posted to alt.binaries.simulators.auto, "rFactor, 2x widescreen". I have
>> the

> Great stuff, thx! You like that head-tracking thing?

Love it. It works great. The default view is a bit too wide to read the
instruments well. Maybe it's just my eyes... I now have the FOV set to 36
deg., which is not too much different than your natural vision, and slight
head movements point the narrower view where I need it. With the dual
widescreens, there isn't too much need. Looking deep into hairpins is
another example where it's useful. Shoulder and mirror checks, too...

Definition of changing tranny fluid Dean Technology 9 May 3rd 07 02:29 AM
Definition Load Capacity willem Honda 4 November 12th 05 04:38 PM
High Definition Radios Skip BMW 25 October 12th 05 12:35 AM
Definition of Happiness Paul Woodsford Alfa Romeo 10 March 21st 05 09:13 PM