dale earnhardt jr must keep no.8!

Old June 24th 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Philthy

Default dale earnhardt jr must keep no.8!

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:13:24 -0400, "Tim" >
wrote:

>Plenty of new teams since 2001 and not one has requested the 3

Because the number 3 is assigned to RCR and they are not going to ever
give it up.

Phil
Old June 24th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim[_7_]

NASCAR owns the car numbers, not the teams

Old June 24th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim[_7_]

From http://www.jayski.com/pages/faqrace.htm#numbers

Who owns the Nextel Cup car numbers?

NASCAR owns and assigns car numbers to an owner(s). NASCAR reserves the
right to revoke or transfer car numbers to another owner/team at any time.
Car numbers are non-assignable and non-transferable, except by NASCAR.
NASCAR works with teams and sponsors when a specific number is requested. If
duplication of numbers occur, which usually happens with the part-time
teams, the fastest qualifier usually gets to use the number unless one team
is considered full-time. In 2002, the #27 was used by Scott Wimmer for Bill
Davis Racing and by Kirk Shelmerdine, both part time, however, Wimmer was
listed in the #27 and Shelmerdine in the #`172 and when they attempted the
same races, Wimmer got to use the #27 and Shelmerdine ran the #72, so NASCAR
uses it's judgement in deciding who runs the number.(9-6-1999/9-17/2003)

Old June 24th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry \(The Other Larry\)

Yes, but the teams lease them. As long as Childress writes the check, he
owns the number.

-Larry

news

Old June 25th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
gordo

"Tim" > wrote in message
> NASCAR owns the car numbers, not the teams
> They have looked the other way regarding the 3 not being used
>
> The only way DEI can keep the 8 is if they field a team with it
>
> As much as she wants to be spiteful that team, with an 8 would get so bood
> so often no sponsor would put up with it

Booing is not that big of a deal.
It hasn't stopped Dupont from sponsoring the 24 car all these years.
Booing hasn't affected their win percentage either.
And it certainly hasn't hurt the souvenier sales.

Old June 25th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
gordo

"PW" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:34:17 -0700, "
> > wrote:
>
>>help me keep dale's no. in NASCAR! i signed a petition at this link.
>>help me out guys and tell your friends and family
>>http://youchoose.net/pledge/let_dale...8/from/xavierr

> Why? Did you buy a thousand dollars of NASCAR merchandise with the
> number 8 on it? :-)

He probably has a huge "8" tattooed on his back side. ;-)

Old June 25th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
==--==

Actually..... you have stated it completely wrong;

You can't lease _and_ own something. If it is leased, then someone else
owns it.
You don't have to write checks to keep things you own

But I know what you meant.

--==