'00 CR-v Check Engine Light (valves)

Old December 15th 04, 04:31 AM
Snake

Default '00 CR-v Check Engine Light (valves)

Does everyone know about all the message traffic regarding valve adjustment
on the 1st Gen. CR-v? Evidently, if you follow the manual and adjust the
valves using its schedule you stand a good chance of burning your valves and
needing costly maintenance. I only know this because at 49,000 miles my
Honda is in a shop getting 2 valves ground and "I'm up to around $1500"
already on this repair!!! My tech "pleaded" with Honda to make this
warranty work since THERE IS A HONDA BULLETIN REGARDING BURNT VALVES! The
dealership tech, or course, said NO way.

Please advise if you know of a class action lawsuit or any other recourse
with Honda!
Thanks,
Mark

--
Mark Atwell
Louisville, KY

Old December 15th 04, 05:30 AM
motsco_ _

Snake wrote:
> Does everyone know about all the message traffic regarding valve adjustment
> on the 1st Gen. CR-v? Evidently, if you follow the manual and adjust the
> valves using its schedule you stand a good chance of burning your valves and
> needing costly maintenance. I only know this because at 49,000 miles my
> Honda is in a shop getting 2 valves ground and "I'm up to around $1500"
> already on this repair!!! My tech "pleaded" with Honda to make this
> warranty work since THERE IS A HONDA BULLETIN REGARDING BURNT VALVES! The
> dealership tech, or course, said NO way.
>
> Please advise if you know of a class action lawsuit or any other recourse
> with Honda!
> Thanks,
> Mark

============================

How long have you been out of warranty?

Honda knows the manual is incorrect. They know the valves tighten on the
gen 1.. Saying 'Adjust if they get noisy' doesn't work for valves that
get tighter. The UK version of the manual says 50,000 Km (30,000 miles)
I think. Sign in and start your search he

http://www.hondasuv.com/main2/viewtopic.php?t=7133

'Curly'

Old December 15th 04, 12:44 PM
Snake

Curly,
Thanks. It is because of hondasuv that I even know there are others like me
out there. There was some talk, maybe you, about a Class Action Lawsuit
regarding this issue on hondasuv. I have been out of warranty for a long
time, just ask my wife <G>! My CRv has been out for 13Kmiles and a couple
of years, I've had it since Nov '99. As I said, my tech called the local
Dealer and talked to the service department and asked them to do this job as
an extended warranty since there is the bulletin on it. They told him, "we
know there is a bulletin but it happens so infrequently we aren't going to
cover the work out of warranty"... Why they don't just issue a bulletin
regarding the Manual I don't know...
I'll let you know what happens by posting this over on hondasuv. My plan is
to print out the message traffic and take it to the dealership.
Thanks again,
Snake