Accord: Need to bypass AirCon Compresser Belt

Old October 18th 04, 04:18 PM
afterglow

Default Accord: Need to bypass AirCon Compresser Belt

Hiya,

I have a 1997 Honda Accord Aerodeck (Wagon) 2.2ES

My AC dosn't work and the belts sqweeeellll like mad when the car
starts. I've had a new belt put on and it was fine for about 2months
but now its sqweeelllling worse than ever. (It gets worse the more
electric is used ie winter)

When the car was sold to me, there was no belt on the AC Compresser
but then I had a 2nd Hand Compresser put on to try and get the AC
working, so all the belts were put on....

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm not bothered about AC because
it still doesen't work & I can't afford to fix it. I just want the
Sqweeelllling to stop. I think its down to the pressure on the AC Belt
but looking at the belt-wheels I can't work out how they were
connected originaly... From what I can see, the alternator, AC and
powerstearing are all connected. If I remove the AC belt I'll lose the
alternator... and I can't hook up the Powerstearing direct to the
altenator because the two wheels are out of allinement (hope that
makes sence)

I just want the sqweeelling to stop....
Please help.
Old October 18th 04, 05:32 PM
Randolph

I can't answer your question, but I would suggest leaving all the belts
in place and getting a service manual and a belt tension gauge. Setting
the tension in the power steering belt in particular is not easy to do
without a gauge, as it needs to be really tight.

Old October 18th 04, 06:16 PM
jim beam

afterglow wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I have a 1997 Honda Accord Aerodeck (Wagon) 2.2ES
>
> My AC dosn't work and the belts sqweeeellll like mad when the car
> starts. I've had a new belt put on and it was fine for about 2months
> but now its sqweeelllling worse than ever. (It gets worse the more
> electric is used ie winter)
>
> When the car was sold to me, there was no belt on the AC Compresser
> but then I had a 2nd Hand Compresser put on to try and get the AC
> working, so all the belts were put on....
>
> Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm not bothered about AC because
> it still doesen't work & I can't afford to fix it. I just want the
> Sqweeelllling to stop. I think its down to the pressure on the AC Belt
> but looking at the belt-wheels I can't work out how they were
> connected originaly... From what I can see, the alternator, AC and
> powerstearing are all connected. If I remove the AC belt I'll lose the
> alternator... and I can't hook up the Powerstearing direct to the
> altenator because the two wheels are out of allinement (hope that
> makes sence)
>
> I just want the sqweeelling to stop....
> Please help.

if the squeal is louder when the alternator is under load, it's the
alternator belt that needs attention, not the a/c.

Old October 18th 04, 07:56 PM
aerodeck

I only replased the a/c belt - I thought that the faulty a/c compresser
could be putting a strain on the other belts which made the squeal. I will
replace the alternator belt, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Old October 18th 04, 08:58 PM
motsco_ _

aerodeck wrote:
> I only replased the a/c belt - I thought that the faulty a/c compresser
> could be putting a strain on the other belts which made the squeal. I will
> replace the alternator belt, hopefully that will solve the problem.
>

>>if the squeal is louder when the alternator is under load, it's the
>>alternator belt that needs attention, not the a/c.

Don't replace it yet, just tighten the Alt belt. It has to be very tight
(compared to belts in older cars).

Honda belts seem to last forever, unless you've smoked it too many days.

'Curly'