transmission

Old December 10th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
simondet

Default transmission

I have a 1993 honda civic 5 speed. The clutch pedal was losing its
clearance or should I say its distance from where it is engaged until it
hits the fire wall. Now it won't let me shift into gear. I asked a
mechanic and he was not sure but did look up and said that the
transmission was hydraulic. Any idea of what this could be and cost. Is
it something I could do? I thought it would just be a clutch pedal
adjustment. Thanks, Bill

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old December 10th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

simondet wrote:
> I have a 1993 honda civic 5 speed. The clutch pedal was losing its
> clearance or should I say its distance from where it is engaged until it
> hits the fire wall. Now it won't let me shift into gear. I asked a
> mechanic and he was not sure but did look up and said that the
> transmission was hydraulic. Any idea of what this could be and cost. Is
> it something I could do? I thought it would just be a clutch pedal
> adjustment. Thanks, Bill
>
> --
> Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/....makers.honda/
> More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

---------------------------

There's TWO brake fluid reservoirs under your hood. The tiny one is for
your CLUTCH. Fill it up with brake fluid but don't overfill and don't
spill. Just use any DOT3 brake fluid.
Why did you wait to do this? It's in your owner's manual and your manual
is available online:
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp

There's a SLIM chance your clutch will start to work again. It will most
likely have to be bled by somebody who has experience.

'Curly'

Old December 10th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

simondet wrote:
> I have a 1993 honda civic 5 speed. The clutch pedal was losing its
> clearance or should I say its distance from where it is engaged until it
> hits the fire wall. Now it won't let me shift into gear. I asked a
> mechanic and he was not sure but did look up and said that the
> transmission was hydraulic. Any idea of what this could be and cost. Is
> it something I could do? I thought it would just be a clutch pedal
> adjustment. Thanks, Bill

short term, refill the clutch reservoir and bleed the air out.

long term, replace the leaking cylinder.
Old December 17th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Greg Campbell

simondet wrote:
> I have a 1993 honda civic 5 speed. The clutch pedal was losing its
> clearance or should I say its distance from where it is engaged until it
> hits the fire wall. Now it won't let me shift into gear. I asked a
> mechanic and he was not sure but did look up and said that the
> transmission was hydraulic. Any idea of what this could be and cost. Is
> it something I could do? I thought it would just be a clutch pedal
> adjustment. Thanks, Bill

Strange you should ask....

Just this week I went through the same problem. After barely making it
home, I topped off the reservoir and pumped the pedal enthusiastically -
to no avail.

Fortunately, the slave cylinder is very easy to access and bleed.

Turns out the car had grown a leak at the master cylinder tubing
fitting. I'd checked the fluid a few months back. When the limp pedal
first started playing up, I vowed to "get around to giving it a look,"
just as soon as I found the time... (DOH!)

One side effect of running low is that the slave piston was sticking for
a while after the bleed. I assume the slave cylinder wall was gooped
up near the outer end, and the piston, now being pushed to it's full
travel, was encountering this sticky area and was binding. Ironically,
this caused the clutch to _slip_ for a day or so until I installed a new
slave unit.

-Greg

Transmission Kits and Parts / Transfer Case Kit Part / Cobra Transmission [email protected] Chrysler 0 March 14th 07 03:52 PM
transmission pond jumper via CarKB.com Technology 1 February 8th 06 06:17 PM
Transmission shardon Chrysler 2 January 7th 06 07:28 AM
Transmission ? Scar Chrysler 3 April 1st 05 11:29 PM
Transmission Cooler For Tacoma PreRunner 4 Cylinder 2.7 Automatic Transmission Tommy Taylor Technology 1 January 1st 05 11:26 PM