Tire siping effect on handling

Old February 25th 05, 04:58 AM
ppp-man

You seemed convinced to do it - just do it. Why ask questions and argue
about.

Personally, if I want my tires siped, I buy them as designed that way.

Old February 26th 05, 03:10 AM
GRL

You are right that I would like to do this as it makes sense for someone
living in the snow below, like me. There are plenty of citations on the
manufacturer's web site attesting to that. I could find no information, one
way or the other, about the effect on dry road lateral acceleration
(handling). That's my sole concern about doing this. Not trying to
argumentative, trying to learn something from someone with 1st hand
experience.

- GRL

Old February 27th 05, 03:28 PM
Somebody

"GRL" > wrote in message
> You are right that I would like to do this as it makes sense for someone
> living in the snow below, like me. There are plenty of citations on the
> manufacturer's web site attesting to that. I could find no information,

one
> way or the other, about the effect on dry road lateral acceleration
> (handling). That's my sole concern about doing this. Not trying to
> argumentative, trying to learn something from someone with 1st hand
> experience.

Regardigng your last sentance -- head over to webster.com and look up irony.

Anyway if you don't think that siping hurts dry road performance, have a
look at any high performance tire. Do you see any sipes? Nope. Blocks of
solid rubber.

Look at an all season tire. Some sipes. A compromise.

Now look at a snow tire. Lots of sipes. Hmmm.

Tryint to take an all season compound and make it into a snow tire won't
work. No performance tires have sipes. Hmm..

-Russ.