Starter bushing issues

Old July 19th 06, 09:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Default Starter bushing issues

Hi there, I'm working a 1965 Volkswagen with a 1600 cc dual carb Webber
system. its been my baby for the past 5 years. and just recently I've
had issues with the starter not wanting to crank over, I've replaced
the connectors. no avail, went ahead and took out the starter itself.
and I'm having a hell of a time getting the bushing out. now I've been
told that the hole is two sided. but i really don't wanna drop out the
engine all by myself. (dual carbs aren't exactly the fun nest thing to
put back on I've used a threader, and a pair of vice grips to try to
yank that sucker out, and it doesn't seem to move one bit. i guess my
question is. is there only one way for the bushing to come out? *the
engine side?* or will it come out on either side? I've ordered a
bushing puller online due to the frustration :P any help would be
appreciated. thanks again

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/..._puller-d.html

thats the puller i ordered. any advice about this, and or the ignition
system would be greatly appreciated.

* also i just had my Volkswagen fixed at a shop about a month ago. *was
sitting for several months due to an injury i had i couldn't drive it.
they replaced the voltage regulator with a bosch stock one i believe.
would that effect my starter not able to turn over?

*when i tried to start it several times, it wouldn't just click it
would sound like it wanted to turn over, but wasn't getting anywhere.
so i hoped* that meant the starter wasn't completely dead thanks
again

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../willyo007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...illyo005-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../willyo003.jpg

some pictures of my baby thanks again gurus

Old July 21st 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Grahame Rumballe[_1_]

The bush should come out from either side.

Grahame
from Aus

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi there, I'm working a 1965 Volkswagen with a 1600 cc dual carb Webber
> system. its been my baby for the past 5 years. and just recently I've
> had issues with the starter not wanting to crank over, I've replaced
> the connectors. no avail, went ahead and took out the starter itself.
> and I'm having a hell of a time getting the bushing out. now I've been
> told that the hole is two sided. but i really don't wanna drop out the
> engine all by myself. (dual carbs aren't exactly the fun nest thing to
> put back on I've used a threader, and a pair of vice grips to try to
> yank that sucker out, and it doesn't seem to move one bit. i guess my
> question is. is there only one way for the bushing to come out? *the
> engine side?* or will it come out on either side? I've ordered a
> bushing puller online due to the frustration :P any help would be
> appreciated. thanks again

http://www.thepartsbin.com/cartools/..._puller-d.html

> thats the puller i ordered. any advice about this, and or the ignition
> system would be greatly appreciated.
>
> * also i just had my Volkswagen fixed at a shop about a month ago. *was
> sitting for several months due to an injury i had i couldn't drive it.
> they replaced the voltage regulator with a bosch stock one i believe.
> would that effect my starter not able to turn over?
>
> *when i tried to start it several times, it wouldn't just click it
> would sound like it wanted to turn over, but wasn't getting anywhere.
> so i hoped* that meant the starter wasn't completely dead thanks
> again
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../willyo007.jpg
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...illyo005-1.jpg
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../willyo003.jpg
>
> some pictures of my baby thanks again gurus

BUSHING and a new starter, what am i suppose to do! [email protected] VW air cooled 4 July 10th 06 01:58 PM
95 YJ Starter issues Chris Jeep 2 December 17th 05 02:57 AM
Starter issue's uptomyelbowsinaligators Ford Mustang 0 July 1st 05 09:03 PM
starter bushing Cos VW water cooled 1 February 27th 05 09:45 PM
starter bushing issues Cos VW water cooled 2 February 27th 05 12:13 AM