02 Caravan sway bar bushings

Old November 29th 04, 04:33 AM
Rick

Default 02 Caravan sway bar bushings

I'm convinced that the knocking sound is coming from these things, but the
auto parts store wants $45 each side for an assembly. Does anyone make just
the bushings for $4-5 ? Are the connecting rods rebuildable at all? Hard to
believe a van with only 45,000 miles needs a bushing rebuild already,
reminds me of the 4 cyl. head gaskets which lasted only 45k miles.
Rick

Old November 29th 04, 11:48 AM
jdoe

There are links and bushings in the system. The bushings are relatively
cheap but the links are a little high. THey are not rebuildable but I
believe NAPA sells ones made by MOOG that are greasable.
Larry

Old November 29th 04, 11:48 AM
jdoe

Old November 30th 04, 02:25 AM
Richard

"jdoe" > wrote in message
> There are links and bushings in the system. The bushings are relatively
> cheap but the links are a little high. THey are not rebuildable but I
> believe NAPA sells ones made by MOOG that are greasable.
> Larry
> "Rick" > wrote in message
>> I'm convinced that the knocking sound is coming from these things, but
>> the auto parts store wants $45 each side for an assembly. Does anyone
>> make just the bushings for $4-5 ? Are the connecting rods rebuildable at
>> all? Hard to believe a van with only 45,000 miles needs a bushing rebuild
>> already, reminds me of the 4 cyl. head gaskets which lasted only 45k
>> miles.
>> Rick

The factory has changed this part design twice and it still is not
dependable. Stick with a good aftermarket part.

Richard.

Old November 30th 04, 02:25 AM
Richard

Old December 1st 04, 03:39 AM
mic canic

the bushing 's gets elongated on how they fit the bar and then move in the
oversize causing the klunk
the bushings are cheap the links are more money

Old December 1st 04, 03:39 AM
mic canic

Old December 4th 04, 10:58 AM
Mopar Man

Rick,

Dealership sway bar bushings are available at less than $10. Change them out
first before the links. There are several links in the aftermarket some with
zerk grease fittings with lifetime guarantees. Shop around.

Chrysler as of late 1999 updated the headgasket design with a "multi-layed
steel" part which seems to hold up much better.

My 2.4 liter gasket failed at 60,000 miles and now I have 120,000 with no
leaking.....knocking on wood.

Mopar Man

Old December 4th 04, 10:58 AM
Mopar Man

Old December 11th 04, 10:00 PM
Rick

I ordered some MOOG bushings for the front bar. Oddly, they offer front
bushings, and rear sway bar links, but no front sway bar links in their
line. Do the rear ones go bad as quickly as the front links? As mic canic
suggested, I'll do the bushings first and see if that fixes the knocking.
Rick