Corvette vs Miata - long

Old February 23rd 05, 08:25 PM
Bryan

"HardwareLust" > wrote in message
news:MH4Td.38386$uc.10@trnddc08...

> "Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
>> 1. Availability - short supply and most dealers at MSRP ++ putting it
>> over 60K - my coupe was 44165.
>> 2. Insurance - I about croaked, almost 50% more for the convertible -
>> 510/6mos versus 360/6mos.
>> 3. I really like the targa top on the coupe. Nice and tight and warm
>> for winter driving but pops off in a few seconds for near convertible
>> driving and the way they have the storage rack now, you still have
>> plenty of cargo space.
>> 4. The convertible looks better than the coupe with the top down, much
>> worse with it up. Kind of like the notchback coupe they made for a few
>> years.
>>

> Ah, makes sense when you take that into consideration. Guess I'll have to
> save my pennies for a while longer before I can afford one of those.
>
> I think I'd wait for the Z06 convertible anyway. I might get flamed for
> saying this, but I think that's a car worth giving up any Miata for if you
> ask me.
>
> H.

Or the 7.0 Liter 427 Z06 coming out next year???
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvettez06/

But a Vette is a Vette right?

Old February 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
HardwareLust

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> Or the 7.0 Liter 427 Z06 coming out next year???
> http://www.chevrolet.com/corvettez06/
>
> But a Vette is a Vette right?

We are indeed on the same wavelength, as that's exactly the car I was
talking about. GM has said that they're going to make a convertible version
of that Z06. What more could you ask for in a car?

That Z06 is the first car since the Miata came out that I feel I just *must*
own one, budget and common sense be damned. I haven't felt like this about
a particular car since 1989. The bad thing is, it'll be approx. 2009-ish
before I can afford a used one (I've done the math at my current salary),
but I think my '99 Miata will last me another 4 years easy, at it's current
rate of 5k miles a year.

But, I'm familar with that process, as it took me almost 6 years to afford
my first Miata (I bought a '91 in 1995.)

Regards,
H.

Old February 24th 05, 12:33 AM
Tom Howlin

HardwareLust wrote:

> "Bryan" > wrote in message
>
>>Or the 7.0 Liter 427 Z06 coming out next year???
>>http://www.chevrolet.com/corvettez06/
>>
>>But a Vette is a Vette right?
>>

> We are indeed on the same wavelength, as that's exactly the car I was
> talking about. GM has said that they're going to make a convertible version
> of that Z06. What more could you ask for in a car?
>
> That Z06 is the first car since the Miata came out that I feel I just *must*
> own one, budget and common sense be damned. I haven't felt like this about
> a particular car since 1989. The bad thing is, it'll be approx. 2009-ish
> before I can afford a used one (I've done the math at my current salary),
> but I think my '99 Miata will last me another 4 years easy, at it's current
> rate of 5k miles a year.
>
> But, I'm familar with that process, as it took me almost 6 years to afford
> my first Miata (I bought a '91 in 1995.)
>
> Regards,
> H.

Don't worry, it will be 2009 before they catch up with the anticipated
demand for a ZO6 convertible. 427 cubic inches, 500HP (rated, rumored
to be 565 in actuality), 490lbs torque and 0-60 in under 4 seconds and a
top speed (coupe) of 200+. That's supercar territory for under 75K
(coupe). What amazes me is that Corvette buyers apparently think
nothing of paying MSRP and actually consider no additional markup a
"good" deal. Kerbecks, where I bought mine, is about the only dealer
taking orders on ZO6s at MSRP, everyone else is 5 to 10K over and have
sold their allottment out. Go figure. Personally, I would never use
that extra power and may not have a drivers license in a couple of years
with this one if don't grow up and act my age (80mph not "feeling" fast
is not always a good thing!).

Tom
92 Red (gone but not forgotten)
05 Vette (red, but of course)

Old February 24th 05, 04:54 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Good thread, fun stuff! That's one advantage of the miata is that with the
Vette's sky high limits (to say nothing of the nose bleed limits of this
next ZO6) we get to rat race our cars and push them near the limits almost
every day, you'll be driving at 3/10'ths to 5/10'ths all the time. I've
always found the most fun at the limits / edges of the performance envelope.
What speed is the Vette at when hitting red line in 2nd gear?

Post pics or links to pics eh? and I want to see those awesome seats.

Chris
92BB&T

Old February 24th 05, 01:31 PM
Scott Streeter

Guys, it's Z06, not ZO6

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old February 24th 05, 05:36 PM
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Good thread, fun stuff! That's one advantage of the miata is that with the
> Vette's sky high limits (to say nothing of the nose bleed limits of this
> next ZO6) we get to rat race our cars and push them near the limits almost
> every day, you'll be driving at 3/10'ths to 5/10'ths all the time. I've
> always found the most fun at the limits / edges of the performance envelope.
> What speed is the Vette at when hitting red line in 2nd gear?
>
> Post pics or links to pics eh? and I want to see those awesome seats.
>
> Chris
> 92BB&T

There is definitely truth to the saying that it is usually much more fun
to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow, not that I am calling
the miata slow, especially once forced induction is involved.

Pat
Old February 26th 05, 02:21 AM
L Bader

At the auto-show in Jan, I was informed there is a 14 month waiting
list for the Elise...

So, 'tis is worth the wait?

On 22 Feb 2005 08:25:02 -0500, Scott Streeter >
wrote:

> [...]
>> > get the "look at that old fart trying to be cool" look from some of the
>> > younger drivers our there but, who cares, I am an old fart trying to look
>> > cool. My students have all given me the thumbs up on it and glad I got
>> > rid of the "girly" car.
>> >
>> > In the comfort department, the Vette is the clear winner for my 6'2"
>> > frame. Plenty of leg, shoulder and hip room, six way seats that conform
>> > perfectly (it's got the sport seat option with the power bolsters -
>> > sweet), incredible stereo system, lots of storage room under the hatch
>> > with a nice cargo shade and some hidden cubbies. I could do twelve hours
>> > in this car, stopping only for fuel and bathroom breaks and not feel it.
>> > I've taken many a long trip in the Miata and loved every minute of it but
>> > always paid the price the next day with stiffness. Also, with the targa
>> > top off and the windows down, the Vette is comfortably quiet and no
>> > buffeting up to about 75mph. With the windows up and the top off and the
>> > heater blasting, you can comfortably use it in cold temperatures, of
>> > course I was top down in the Miata at anything above 45 degrees.
>> >
>> > My biggest complaint with the Chevrolet is this "need" to put as much high
>> > tech into their automobiles as possible. While the driver information
>> > center is fantastic, the keyless entry and start sucks. Having an actual
>> > key would be a nice option and the complications of this system can only
>> > create problems down the road (thus springing for the six year warranty).
>> > Lock your keys in this car and you are royally screwed (and yes, contrary
>> > to what Chevrolet says, it can be done as per the dealership) as entry,
>> > reprogramming and the purchase of new fobs is going to put you back about
>> > $500.00 - that's an expensive lockout!
>> >
>> > Bottom line, the Vette is a pure extravagence. There is no rational
>> > justification for owning one versus the Miata that can truly serve its
>> > role as weekend racer or second car. I'd send my kid off to college in a
>> > Miata, never in a Corvette. It's too expensive, too fast, too costly too
>> > maintain and draws too much attention from law enforcement personnel.
>> > However, it does speak to the soul and since that is where most of us car
>> > nuts get our messages from, I don't regret doing it for a second. I do
>> > think I will try to convince my wife to get rid of her Honda Accord (the
>> > appliance of automobiles) for a mint 95M Edition and thus have the best of
>> > both worlds. You do need to ride in one to experience that All-American
>> > V8 muscle, nothing else comes close.
>> >
>> > Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience with the
>> > members of this group. Although I don't post that often, I've gotten more
>> > help off this group then any dealer I've ever been to. The level of
>> > courtesy and decorum is unmatched in any other newsgroup I belong to.
>> > That's why I will stay around here and perhaps get back in as an official
>> > member when I convince my wife to change cars.

'97 STO, "Chouki"

// Change TEJAS to TX to reply via eMail //
Old February 26th 05, 03:44 AM
Red

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:21:30 GMT, L Bader > wrote in
:

> At the auto-show in Jan, I was informed there is a 14 month waiting
> list for the Elise...
>
> So, 'tis is worth the wait?

The Elise is a Miata with no costs considered and a bit more.
The ultimate driver's machine (despite what that Bavarian company
might say) with minimum weight and maximum grin.

I have a download of a video showing a skilled Elise driver
on the Nürburgring toying with a Corvette driver who is
being embarrassed.

If you have the money and the time it is worth both to someone
who can appreciate it.

Old February 26th 05, 11:28 AM
Tom Howlin

Red wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:21:30 GMT, L Bader > wrote in
> :
>

>>At the auto-show in Jan, I was informed there is a 14 month waiting
>>list for the Elise...
>>
>>So, 'tis is worth the wait?

> The Elise is a Miata with no costs considered and a bit more.
> The ultimate driver's machine (despite what that Bavarian company
> might say) with minimum weight and maximum grin.

Is the full-time mechanic an option or standard equipment?

> I have a download of a video showing a skilled Elise driver
> on the Nürburgring toying with a Corvette driver who is
> being embarrassed.

If you want a real laugh, go to the Corvettes forum and read all the "I
raced a ____________. According to them, the Corvette has never lost a
race to anything, including, if they are to be believed, a new Ford GT!
Actually, most Corvette drivers can be embarassed by a Miata on the
right roads given that they will overuse the power and probably put the
car into the weeds while the Miata does its thing. In the one week I've
owned this car, the one thing I've learned is you must respect the power
which is why I'm going to take advantage of some track time at VIR in
March.

Old February 26th 05, 12:11 PM
Dave

>Red wrote:

>> I have a download of a video showing a skilled Elise driver
>> on the Nürburgring toying with a Corvette driver who is
>> being embarrassed.

If its the one I recall (the one with the straight cut gear whine
throughout?), that's a Motorsports Elise which is quite a
different animal than the basic Elise.

Also, he doesn't "toy". To me, he looks like he's desperate to
pass, but the Corvette isn't obliging. And while the Elise is
quicker in the turns, the Corvette walks away on the straights (no
surprise).

Further, in most cases, it is more about the driver than the
machine.