steering problem

Old June 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
jim

Default steering problem

1978 beetle convertible. very hard to steer even
with both wheels up. seems like it got harder after
i bleed the brakes. coincidental probably. i have
good brakes, but it takes a lot of power to turn.
also, i notice with the car on jacks, the steering
wheel turns really hard then loosens a second then
hard again. it does this through the whole range of
turning. hopefully fixing this problem will help
the shimmies (over 60mph my arm looks like a human
windshield wiper) as well. seems like something
need greasing, but i don't see any fittings. thanks
for any advice.

jim
Old June 23rd 05, 03:48 AM
Kevin Holzer

jim wrote:
> 1978 beetle convertible. very hard to steer even
> with both wheels up. seems like it got harder after
> i bleed the brakes. coincidental probably. i have
> good brakes, but it takes a lot of power to turn.
> also, i notice with the car on jacks, the steering
> wheel turns really hard then loosens a second then
> hard again. it does this through the whole range of
> turning. hopefully fixing this problem will help
> the shimmies (over 60mph my arm looks like a human
> windshield wiper) as well. seems like something
> need greasing, but i don't see any fittings. thanks
> for any advice.
>
> jim

Has it always been this way? Have you done anything (or had anybody do
anything) to the steering system (like adjust it)?
-Kevin
Old June 23rd 05, 11:47 AM
jim

Kevin Holzer wrote:
> jim wrote:
>
>> 1978 beetle convertible. very hard to steer even
>> with both wheels up. seems like it got harder after
>> i bleed the brakes. coincidental probably. i have
>> good brakes, but it takes a lot of power to turn.
>> also, i notice with the car on jacks, the steering
>> wheel turns really hard then loosens a second then
>> hard again. it does this through the whole range of
>> turning. hopefully fixing this problem will help
>> the shimmies (over 60mph my arm looks like a human
>> windshield wiper) as well. seems like something
>> need greasing, but i don't see any fittings. thanks
>> for any advice.
>>
>> jim

> Has it always been this way? Have you done anything (or had anybody do
> anything) to the steering system (like adjust it)?
> -Kevin

no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
jim
Old June 23rd 05, 12:52 PM
MUADIB®

>no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
>but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
>immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
>been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
>hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
>jim

Starnge that it has anything to do with the brakes. Especially up off
the ground...........you should be able to turn the wheel lock-to-lock
with nothing more than one finger pushing the steering wheel spoke.

I suspect the steering issue is only a steering issue, and it's
coincidental to your brake work.

If you don;t have a manual, get one and adjust the steering box a
little. It may be too far gone and in need of replacement or repair.
If you have a manual, adjust it anyway.........LOL

Should be a cover plate in the luggage compartment for access to the
steering gear box. when you open it (the access plate) you should see
a large nut about an inch and a half accross, with an adjustment screw
in the middle. Loosen the big nut, and adjust the screw "outward" or
counterclockwise.............If it is very tight this may help
tremendously. if it is loose, there could be far more drama about to
unfold.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:31 PM
Joao Eliseu

jim > wrote:
>Kevin Holzer wrote:
>> jim wrote:
>>
>>> 1978 beetle convertible. very hard to steer even
>>> with both wheels up. seems like it got harder after
>>> i bleed the brakes. coincidental probably. i have
>>> good brakes, but it takes a lot of power to turn.
>>> also, i notice with the car on jacks, the steering
>>> wheel turns really hard then loosens a second then
>>> hard again. it does this through the whole range of
>>> turning. hopefully fixing this problem will help
>>> the shimmies (over 60mph my arm looks like a human
>>> windshield wiper) as well. seems like something
>>> need greasing, but i don't see any fittings. thanks
>>> for any advice.
>>>
>>> jim

>> Has it always been this way? Have you done anything (or had anybody do

>> anything) to the steering system (like adjust it)?
>> -Kevin

>no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
>but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
>immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
>been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
>hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
>jim

I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the brakes something
moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the shimmies come
from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.

Joao
Old June 23rd 05, 04:19 PM
Speedy Jim

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> jim > wrote:
>
>>Kevin Holzer wrote:

>>>Has it always been this way? Have you done anything (or had anybody do

>>>anything) to the steering system (like adjust it)?
>>>-Kevin

>>no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
>>but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
>>immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
>>been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
>>hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
>>jim

> I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the brakes something
> moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the shimmies come
> from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.
>

> Joao

His '78 has rack and pinion steering.
I would be tempted to disconnect the tie rod ends and
see if the steering is still tight. That will isolate
the problem.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 23rd 05, 08:10 PM
jim

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Joao Eliseu wrote:
>
>> jim > wrote:

>>> no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
>>> but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
>>> immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
>>> been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
>>> hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
>>> jim

>> I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the
>> brakes something
>> moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the
>> shimmies come
>> from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.
>>

>> Joao

> His '78 has rack and pinion steering.
> I would be tempted to disconnect the tie rod ends and
> see if the steering is still tight. That will isolate
> the problem.

that's exactly what i figured. however i don't have any new
tie rods (i notice the right one looks bent) as of yet, and
i guess i'll wait til i get some new ones. cause i will ruin
these getting them free, i 'spect. thanks. oh, if the thing
is still tight would you check the needle bearing in the steering
column? ooh boy, hope not. later.
jim
Old June 23rd 05, 08:12 PM
jim

Speedy Jim wrote:

> Joao Eliseu wrote:
>
>> jim > wrote:

>>> no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always,
>>> but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder
>>> immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year)
>>> been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this
>>> hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks
>>> jim

>> I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the
>> brakes something
>> moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the
>> shimmies come
>> from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.
>>

>> Joao

> His '78 has rack and pinion steering.
> I would be tempted to disconnect the tie rod ends and
> see if the steering is still tight. That will isolate
> the problem.

i forgot. do you have any recommendations as to where to
order the tie rods? thanks again. you have helped me b4.
jim
Old June 23rd 05, 08:32 PM
Speedy Jim

jim wrote:
> Speedy Jim wrote:
>
>> Joao Eliseu wrote:

>>> I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the
>>> brakes something
>>> moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the
>>> shimmies come
>>> from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.
>>>

>>> Joao
>>> 72 Super 1302

>> His '78 has rack and pinion steering.
>> I would be tempted to disconnect the tie rod ends and
>> see if the steering is still tight. That will isolate
>> the problem.
>>

> that's exactly what i figured. however i don't have any new
> tie rods (i notice the right one looks bent) as of yet, and
> i guess i'll wait til i get some new ones. cause i will ruin
> these getting them free, i 'spect. thanks. oh, if the thing
> is still tight would you check the needle bearing in the steering
> column? ooh boy, hope not. later.
> jim

http://www.aircooled.net/
may be able to get tie rods.
A bent one is sure suspicious.

If you get a tool like:
http://www.germansupply.com/xcart/cu...roductid=16522
you can pop out the tie rod ends without damaging them.

I think the main point is to determine if the tightness is in
the rack or the wheels. I tend to doubt that the steering
column is to blame, although the U-joint shaft should be
inspected.

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old June 24th 05, 12:25 AM
johnboy

"Speedy Jim" > wrote

Jim - would any looseness his fenders (top shock mount) contribute to
difficult steering? With the weight off the front end it would behave in a
new way.