Question for electronics experts...

Old May 9th 05, 01:48 AM
TeGGeR®

Default Question for electronics experts...

Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg

Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter system,
or an ignition system?

(BTW, the text in the middle of the diagram appears to read "Hyl tension").

I have a specific reason for asking this.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 9th 05, 01:57 AM
Dan Beaton

OK, what am I missing? The text on the secondary reads "high tension"
to me. This makes sense with a diagram of a battery connected to a
coil (primary), and some kind of disconnect. Make the circuit, current
flows in the primary, indcues a current in the secondary which has many
more coils (implied graphically by smaller, tighter coils) and creates a
high voltage, low current pulse in the secondary. So, part of an
ignition circuit. (Or a simplified ignition circuit.)
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old May 9th 05, 02:03 AM
John Ings

On 9 May 2005 00:48:20 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:

>Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:
>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg
>
>Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
>solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter system,
>or an ignition system?

An ignition system.
http://users.mrbean.net.au/~rover/ketterin.htm

Old May 9th 05, 02:29 AM
TeGGeR®

(Dan Beaton) wrote in
:

> "TeGGeR®" ) writes:
>> Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg

>> Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
>> solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter
>> system, or an ignition system?
>>
>> (BTW, the text in the middle of the diagram appears to read "Hyl
>> tension").
>>
>> I have a specific reason for asking this.
>>

> OK, what am I missing? The text on the secondary reads "high tension"
> to me. This makes sense with a diagram of a battery connected to a
> coil (primary), and some kind of disconnect. Make the circuit, current
> flows in the primary, indcues a current in the secondary which has
> many more coils (implied graphically by smaller, tighter coils) and
> creates a high voltage, low current pulse in the secondary. So, part
> of an ignition circuit. (Or a simplified ignition circuit.)

You're not missin' nothin'.

This diagram is on page 255 of a Motor Trend "100th Anniversary of the
Automobile" book put out in 1985. It is on a page dedicated to the
Automatic Starter, as developed by C. F. Kettering in 1911. The tagline
calls the diagram "Kettering's original drawing for the patent for the
automatic starter".

The diagram appears to be the wrong one for that page.

This mistake is actually a good thing for me, as I wanted to include that
diagram (just for fun) in a new part of the FAQ having to do with the
ignition. I wanted definitive confirmation of my suspicion, which you and
John Ings have just provided, so thanks to both of you.

Old May 9th 05, 02:30 AM
TeGGeR®

John Ings > wrote in
:

> On 9 May 2005 00:48:20 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>
>>Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg
>>
>>Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
>>solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter
>>system, or an ignition system?

> An ignition system.
> http://users.mrbean.net.au/~rover/ketterin.htm

Yup. Good page. I'm going to link that page in the FAQ.

Thanks to that site, I now finally understand the exact role of the
condenser in the Kettering system.

Old May 9th 05, 08:58 AM
John D Newport

It appears to be an ignition system. It is a simplified diagram for firing
the spark plug.

Old May 9th 05, 05:22 PM
John Horner

TeGGeR® wrote:
> Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg
>
> Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
> solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter system,
> or an ignition system?
>
> (BTW, the text in the middle of the diagram appears to read "Hyl tension").
>
> I have a specific reason for asking this.

That is a drawing of a basic points type spark ignition system.

The text is high tension, as in the high voltage side of the circuit.

John
Old May 9th 05, 07:14 PM
Dick

On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:22:38 GMT, John Horner >
wrote:

>TeGGeR® wrote:
>> Have a look at the drawing posted at this URL:
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/kettering.jpg
>>
>> Ignoring for the moment the text at the top of the diagram, and going
>> solely by the diagram itself, is this diagram depicting a starter system,
>> or an ignition system?
>>
>> (BTW, the text in the middle of the diagram appears to read "Hyl tension").
>>
>> I have a specific reason for asking this.
>>

>That is a drawing of a basic points type spark ignition system.
>
>The text is high tension, as in the high voltage side of the circuit.
>
>John

I agree. The drawing and text are of the original Kettering ignition.
Has nothing to do with a starter system.
Old May 9th 05, 10:20 PM
TeGGeR®

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in
:

> On Mon, 09 May 2005 16:22:38 GMT, John Horner >
> wrote:
>

>>That is a drawing of a basic points type spark ignition system.
>>
>>The text is high tension, as in the high voltage side of the circuit.
>>
>>John

> I agree. The drawing and text are of the original Kettering ignition.
> Has nothing to do with a starter system.

This diagram is on page 255 of a Motor Trend "100th Anniversary of the
Automobile" book put out in 1985. It is on a page dedicated to the
Automatic Starter, as developed by C. F. Kettering in 1911. The tagline
calls the diagram "Kettering's original drawing for the patent for the
automatic starter".

The diagram appears to be the wrong one for that page.

This mistake is actually a good thing for me, as I wanted to include that
diagram (just for fun) in a new part of the FAQ having to do with the
ignition. I wanted definitive confirmation of my suspicion, which every
reply here has supplied. Thanks to all.