02 Explorer - transmission replacement choice

Old January 6th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 02 Explorer - transmission replacement choice

'02 Explorer with 62k miles needs a new transmission. Extended
warranty company will pay for a rebuilt and give a 12 mo/12k mile
warranty. Or the warranty company will give me the $ toward a new
transmission from Ford (carries a 36 mo / 75k mile warranty.) The
cost of the new transmission vs the rebuilt is $1000 extra.

Any advice? Should I pay the $1000 out of pocket for the Ford
transmission and the Ford guarantee? The extended warranty company
(though CarMax) has been vague about where their rebuilt will come
from. Ford also guarantees that any transmission issues identified in
service bulletins will be addressed in their transmission. I plan to
keep the Explorer as long as I possible can.

I've changed my mind about 6 time so far... can you help me make a
final decision?

Thank you,
Scott
Old January 7th 09, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 07:20:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>'02 Explorer with 62k miles needs a new transmission. Extended
>warranty company will pay for a rebuilt and give a 12 mo/12k mile
>warranty. Or the warranty company will give me the $ toward a new
>transmission from Ford (carries a 36 mo / 75k mile warranty.) The
>cost of the new transmission vs the rebuilt is $1000 extra.
>
>Any advice? Should I pay the $1000 out of pocket for the Ford
>transmission and the Ford guarantee? The extended warranty company
>(though CarMax) has been vague about where their rebuilt will come
>from. Ford also guarantees that any transmission issues identified in
>service bulletins will be addressed in their transmission. I plan to
>keep the Explorer as long as I possible can.
>
>I've changed my mind about 6 time so far... can you help me make a
>final decision?
>
>Thank you,
>Scott

Am I understanding correctly that your warranty company is dictating
where you go for repairs and how much they will pay? If so I would
question whether it's worth paying an extra $1000 for a transmission
warranty. Put the money in the bank and if you need another
transmission in 3 or 4 years you'll have the money in the bank to pay
for it. If you never need one you'll be $1000 ahead of the game.
Old January 12th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Yes. Warranty Co. is dictating how much they are willing to pay.
Only $2500. For $900 more, I could get the Ford Warranty of now
100,000 miles, rather than the 12,000 warranty from CarMax. I like
the idea of no money out of pocket if it's not necessary, but I think
I'm going to pay the difference for the peace of mind and the
multiyear /mileage warranty.

Thanks.